1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My second m43 camera body on it's way - Lumix GF2 :)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ramirez, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just found a quite cheap Panasonic Lumix GF2 that I just couldn't resist :)
    I am building a two-body prime setup; my E-P2 with Oly 45mm 1.8 and GF2 with Panny 14mm 2.5.

The GF2 with the 14mm is going to be my coat pocket setup. When I use the E-P2, I'll use that setup with the VF-3 :)

These setups are going to complement eachother. And I'll don't have to change my prime lenses :)

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Great choice! I have a two-body-two-lens setup as well: GH2 + 14/2.5 and GF2 + 45/1.8.

6970108894_ff06b271b0_z.

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    As you have the GF2; what are your settings on it (noise filter, Auto iso limits, etc)?

Weak and strongs sides to the GF2?

4. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I don't shoot JPEG and as such leave JPEG settings at their default values. When I had the G2, I used only one JPEG preset — Dynamic B&W, which was great. Sadly it was removed in the GF2 and newer cameras.

I always tweak AutoWB. Pannys tend to produce files that are too cool and too magenta for me, that's why I shift AutoWB two notches towards amber and one notch towards green.

I set ISO Limit Set to ISO 800 because at ISO 1600 and higher GF2 produces unusable images.

In my opinion, the biggest strength (and the biggest weakness) of the GF2 is its sensor. Its AA filter is very light, and the files it produces are very sharp, with vibrant yet realistic colors. The GH2 files, in comparison, are softer and their colors are not as nice. But the GH2 has much better dynamic range and high ISO performance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks for the info! About the ISO, is it possible to use for instance ISO 1250 when you need a little higher ISO and get usable images?

6. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    No, Auto ISO limit is set only in full stop (1EV) increments.

7. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I changed my mind - cancelled the order for the GF2 and ordered a G3 instead!

After some thinking and reading about the GF2, I changed my mind. It is a good camera but I need a little bit better ISO performance - so I changed my order to the G3 instead :)

The choice then was between the GX1 and the G3... but I have started to get used to the VF3 on my E-P2 and I also want that possibility. To buy separate viewfinder for the GX1 gets more expensive than to get the G3 with the inbuilt viewfinder.

I read that the GX1 and the G3 are quite similar, same sensor, processor etc?

Another factor is that I can´t afford the OMD EM5 and to have the newer m43 sensor on the same time as I order my second m43 body isn't bad at all :)

What do you guys think? Am I going to be satisfied with the G3?

8. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    don't know if you'll be satisfied with the g3, but i love mine. pics are much better at high iso and low light than my gf1 or my husband's pentax, and the colors are nice. the camera is fast (depending on what lens ya use), and while it doesn't have a couple external controls you'll find on the g2 and gh2, it has everything i use most. the viewfinder is sooo much better than my gf1 removable evf - the large, bright evf is what i first noticed when i picked a g3 up at fry's. and to tell the truth, i was surprised how handy touch focusing can be. also you can take a pic by touching the screen, and i find that means less camera shake when taking a longer exposure.

9. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Have you used your G3 with Oly lenses? How is it without IS? (I am used to IS as I only had Oly cameras before) That is the only thing I am worrying about a little.

10. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Nothing to worry about, imagine those millions pictures taken without image stabilization ;) just follow rule of minimum shutter speed is 1/focal length and you will be fine. Personally most primes I am using doesn't have stabilization. My almost pocketable solution is G3 sharing PL25 and PL45 accompanied with second body GF2 sharing 14 and Samy7.5. It is very compact yet powerful setup ;) G3 with new sensor and processing engine is producing nicer Jpegs out of the camera and can handle higher ISO, but small GF2 is better mach for wide angle lenses ;)

11. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    What is the highest usable ISO with the G3? How much do I gain in low light sensitivity in real life compared to my E-P2?

12. garfield_cz

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Sorry I can't comment EP2. On GF2 is last usable ISO 400, but G3 handles ISO 800 and 1600 nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Just ordered spare battery - DMW-BLD10 - for my coming G3

As the battery empties fast, I ordered a second one. Am I right about the Panasonic DMW-BLD10 battery - it can be used both on the G3 and the GF2?

14. garfield_cz

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Yes, you are right both G3 and GF2 share same battery.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I quite like my GF2 - it handles white balance a little better than the LX3 did, ISO performance is acceptable up to ISO 1600 for most situations (not printing huge landscape shots, but fine for the web use it tends to get put to). Great little combo with the 14mm pancake. Still not a huge fan of Panasonic's out of camera rendering (compared to either Canon or Olympus).