1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Roxsen Focal Reducer/ "Speedbooster" clone arrived today

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kevinparis, Mar 3, 2014.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    On the recommendation from fellow member orfeo, I ordered a Roxen Canon EOS to m/43 speed booster about 2 weeks ago, and it arrived in Belgium this morning.

As a canon owner I already had a set of legacy to EOS adapters, so this seemed a flexible solution to me.

The speed booster itself arrived well packed and seems to be pretty well constructed, and came with end caps. No problems with mounting on the OMD.

As a first pass test, to get a feel for it I chose my M42 Pentax Takumar 50/1.4, and set up my faithful model, Harry the Head

First shot is with a regular adapter at a distance of approx 1 m

P3030002.

next is shot from same distance with speed booster. This shows the .71 change in FOV. A 50 therefore acts like a 35

P3030005.

Finally I move the camera in to about 0.7m to get a similar framing

P3030008.

Not sure of my conclusions yet, apart from the fact it seems to work fine as far as I can see. It certainly seems to have smoothed out the Bokeh wide open, and it does seem to give a stop of extra light, though the change in perspective is also noticeable.

Need to go do other stuff right now, but promise I will post more pics over the next few days

cheers

K

• Like Like x 14
  2. Hypnotic Love

Hypnotic Love New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    Wow, the adapter really blows out the background. I like how you did the comparisons, how you didn't move the camera for the first two and showed the difference with and without the adapter, shows no difference in blur or perspective, just basically shows how the crop is. But then when you recompose to the same composition it really shows a difference. These speedboosters are an amazing thing to us, just what they can do and how it just expands our lens choice possibilities.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Minor point, but Speed Booster is the (trademarked) name for Metabones's focal reducer models. What you have is a Roxsen focal reducer.

I wonder if this one has the same optics as the RJ camera models. It looks slightly different cosmetically.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hypnotic Love

Hypnotic Love New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    I was actually wondering about that in a way too. I knew "metabones" was metabones but didn't think about "speed booster" being part of their name either.

5. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    point taken dara.... will refer to it as a speedboster clone from now on :)

K

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks for the info - do keep us posted, Kevin. Was surprised by the price, my interest has been perked.

7. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh they actually do call it a "speed booster" on their site... I think mainly because Metabones hasn't had their lawyer send them a letter yet.

The quality of those test shots seems pretty nice so far!

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You are correct but Roxen does call it "Focal Reducer Speed Booster" on their website! That opens them up to a lawsuit. They might be able to get by since they use the two words separately rather than integrated into a single word. If I were in charge of Roxen I would not have used the wording so as to avoid any problems.

http://www.roxsen.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=33_138

I am hoping that all these knock-off products will cause the real Speedbooster to come down in price.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I suspect it's intentional - the SpeedBooster is the best known focal reducer by far. I just wanted to avoid confusion - since the title of the thread makes it sounds like Roxen (should be Roxsen) makes the same product that Metabones does. Plus accurate titles make it easier to search for stuff. Anyhow - that's more than enough pedantry from me...

10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Anyone else notice that on their website they only have focal reducers for NEX?

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    if some one will tell me how I can change the title of the thread I am happy to do so.... otherwise can a mod/admin change Roxen to Roxsen and Speedbooster to Focal Reducer/"Speedbooster" clone or indeed any similar phrasing that is deemed appropriate.

as for my exploration of the device... think my plan for tomorrow is to try my takumar 35/2 without the device vs the 50 with the device at the same aperture

K

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Title changed per your request, K. Thanks for the sample - looks very good! I got one of the other Speedbooster clones and am thinking about which lens to get and mount with it...

13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks amin

I dont have a problem with having lenses to try out... just trying to get my head round what are the actual practical benefits of the 'device'

I have 24/2's, a contax 85/1.4, a nikkor 50/1.2 and a few others to try out.

so far I see the advantage as

1) higher shutter speed/lower iso wide open, or the same at a stop lower... none of my sub f/2 legacy lenses really shine wide open... all glowy and/ or low in contrast... native lenses kick their posterior big time

2) change in FOV... a 50 becomes a 35, a 100 becomes a 70 ish etc

K

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Pentax you showed looks sharp enough for wide open use. Lovely.

I was thinking of pairing a Nikon 180 f/2.8 ED AIS with the focal reducer. That would give me a 128mm f/2 lens (256mm equivalent) which would be a handy next step up focal length from my Oly 75/1.8.

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    They seem to use speed "booter" more often than "booster". Maybe that is their legal strategy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    A brief look here -> https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52850&p=598799#post598799 with the Metabones Speedbooster. Its a nice combo!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crushader

Crushader Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Tham
    Actually it's 'RJ' Focal Reducer, Roxsen is just the reseller/distrubutor.

I like it so far, works pretty well for me, and just as sharp as the lens itself.

18. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    It has endless use! I love being to use normal fast legacy as portrait lens. And also you gain that stop of light. Very useful for macro shot.

Smc macro takumar 100mm f4 and reducer

_1100498[/

• Like Like x 3
  19. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Great shot orfeo!
    Hope mine arrives soon & it lives up to these examples!

20. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I bet it would be nice paired with the Rokinon 85mm....