My review of the G9 after 1.5 years of use!

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
That would help having a similar set up (and a user manual too!)
Revisiting getting micro 4-3rds and did more review of this camera. Do you feel it would be too big in a small person's (5 feet) hands?

Thank you!
My wife is 5'1" and absolutely loves the G9 - no handling problems at all. Personal experience, I know, but a sampling point to consider. Best of luck in your search!!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
So much of your body choice comes down to the lenses you plan to use, IMO. The bigger body provides great balance for your zooms and longer lenses. Just my thoughts, but I wouldn’t want anything smaller than a EM1 or G9 for my setup.

Annie

Mu-43 Regular
So much of your body choice comes down to the lenses you plan to use, IMO. The bigger body provides great balance for your zooms and longer lenses. Just my thoughts, but I wouldn’t want anything smaller than a EM1 or G9 for my setup.
I don't think initially I will go going longer than the Olympus 40-150 lens f/4.0-5.6. ...

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I don't think initially I will go going longer than the Olympus 40-150 lens f/4.0-5.6. ...
If you’re mostly a prime shooter, then the bigger bodies aren’t as critical, but once you start seeing the fun you can have at the long end of M43, you may be tempted by the longer tele’s. My most used lens in the P100-300. At just over 1lb, it’s so easy to handle. Even the 40-150 2.8 and the PL 50-200 are well under 2lbs, and they have a lot of versatility.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The G9 is easily the most ergonomic camera I have ever picked up, it fit from the first grab. No question about where your hands go. The joystick is perfectly placed. I do not have large hands.

I think there's an awful lot of over-emphasis on the G9's size and weight. Yes, it's a larger body. No, it's not obnoxiously larger. I don't notice the camera's weight until I mount the 100-400.

If you want to have some fun, mount a Pana-Leica 50-200 on a G9. @ 23.10 oz (655g) you can hold it all day.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Hey there guys, the G9 recently dropped in price to $1000, and in the video below I make the case for why it's the best camera for $1K.
Have they raised the price recently (maybe after the Olympus bombshell)? It's now about $1200. I mean, it's ON SALE - $300 off, and it's $1200 with the sale! (body only). Gee...

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Seriously, the G9 is a killer camera. I could be very happy with just it, the 12-35 and the PL100-400.
I'm sure it is nice, but I am a little aghast by its size. I mean it's getting very close to the size of my Canon 80D, which I've been thinking of getting rid of (and going full m43) because I cannot stand the size. I think the E-M1III would be about my limit, even though I like the extra window on top with the G9 (just like my Canon 80D!). Here is a size comparison, with the E-M5III thrown in for good measure:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm sure it is nice, but I am a little aghast by its size. I mean it's getting very close to the size of my Canon 80D, which I've been thinking of getting rid of (and going full m43) because I cannot stand the size. I think the E-M1III would be about my limit, even though I like the extra window on top with the G9 (just like my Canon 80D!). Here is a size comparison, with the E-M5III thrown in for good measure:
May be similar in size, but light years apart in features and performance IMHO.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Using the electronic shutter with my PL100-400 I get 20 FPS for birding. Can your camera shoot 4K 60 FPS or 6K (without sound)? How about the two high res images options? You can has better Continuous focus but not single focus. Features are performance I think.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom