1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My RAWs (RW2) are rendered like my JPEGs

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by deprivedofsleep, Aug 15, 2012.

1. deprivedofsleep

deprivedofsleep Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    I'm sure I'm being stupid here, but I can't figure this one out.

I'm shooting my GF2 in RAW+Jpeg while I try out settings and profiles to get a look I like.

When I view the files (using Faststone Image Viewer or Lightroom) there is no perceiveable difference between the RW2 file and the Jpeg. Now I'm not talking in terms of quality - the JPEGs clearly have in camera sharpening applied etc whereas the RW2 files need post processing added for sharpness

But in terms of colour reproduction, contrast, dynamic range they look identical.
    I would have expected the RW2s to be very flat compared to the JPEGs.
    Indeed this is the case on my Nikon D3100 when I shoot the same way, the RAW files are instantly distinguishable from the camera processed JPEGs.
    But on the GF2, they are the same.

Now I'm pretty sure neither Faststone or Lightroom are applying any kind of camera profile to the RW2 files.
    Is it just a fluke perhaps that my in camera settings for JPEGs happens to closely match the default RAW output?

Sorry if I'm being a fool!

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Quite possible. However, I don't see a big difference between my standard Canon 5DII RAW files and in-camera JPGs when simply opening both in the same workflow/RAW processor (Lightroom or DxO, in my case, although the latter at least does have camera-specific profiles) in terms of colour or contrast. The dynamic range is greater in the RAWs but that's not necessarily immediately visible or noticeable until you start looking at the histograms or trying to push/pull.

• Like Like x 1
  3. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Thanks, I suppose to test it I should temporarily apply some wacky settings to JPEGs in camera and then compare them after that.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FastOne displays the JPEG previews that are embedded in the RAW files, so it should look the same.

Lightroom does not, but it's possible that the defaults are close enough.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  5. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Ah thankyou, I think you've pinned it there. I didn't realise Faststone was showing the jpeg previews. On closer inspection on Lightroom, there are subtle differences between the raw and jpeg files that I was missing before and compounding when looking at the same files in Faststone.

Thanks again.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Keep in mind also that Lightroom will show the embedded JPEG preview first, and then jump to the RAW file when it finishes loading.