1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My quick Panasonic G7 review

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by spatulaboy, Aug 24, 2016.

1. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Hey guys. I've been shooting the G7 for a year now and I feel it's often overlooked by flashier cameras. The G7 is quite a capable performer and I highly recommend it! I wrote a quick review on my blog. You can read the whole thing here: Vincent Tsai Photography Raleigh NC

Quick summary if you don't want to ready my boring blog:

Pro:
    Excellent ergonomics. Fantastic grip and easy to access control points.
    Large clear EVF
    Great touch screen implementation
    Super fast focusing
    Solid image quality
    4K video, duh

Con:
    Plastic build
    No IBIS
    No weather sealing
    Slow flash sync
    Only 1/4000 shutter speed

With the imminent release of the G8(something), this camera should see a price drop soon. I recommend picking it up if you are looking to get into the system or needing a second body.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Nice review. I would have bought one, (I like the DSLR styling/ergonomics) but I managed to acquire a brand new GX8 for less than what the G7 was selling for. Couldn't go past that. Will be interesting to see what the G8 does bring to the table

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Nice review... the G7 is still the most ergonomic camera I know.

But with the GX80 out: shooting low light with IBIS brings you at least 1-2 stops from the ISO performance....

4. Neil M

Neil M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2016
    Nice review Vincent and good to see someone writing informative and positive stuff about the G7! I have just added a GX8 to my G7 and think the combination of the two will be perfect for all my needs.. I really like the form factor of the G7 but the GX8 adds a few extras including wired tethering! (useful for me when taking School portraits). I just wish Panasonic and micro 4/3 would take themselves a little more seriously and add additional functionality like tethering and cable ports that are a standard size etc as they may attract more customers. I read everyday of more professionals switching to micro 43 and Panasonic need to wake up a little to this I think as the IQ is there as shown by your lovely images.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Thanks Neil. I'm happy to hear you have both G7 and GX8. I have a interested buyer for one of my G7s and I've been eyeing a GX8 as a replacement. GX8s are now selling for the same price as G7s which is shocking to me. I like the GX8 for the more pro features you've mentioned, but the ergonomics are questionable to me. I have yet to hold one so I can't really have much to say about it. It just looks like a brick to me. I might end up with one if prices keep falling like this though. LOL.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm pretty happy with my E-M5 II bodies, but I can see myself picking up a fire sale G7 mainly for the 4k and mic port.

7. Neil M

Neil M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2016
    Hi Vincent, yes I am also surprised to see the price of the GX8 drop but I guess the GX85 has something to do with that, given its improved stabilisation especially for video. The GX8 does feel a little brick like but it is growing on me a little more now and the build quality is some way ahead of the G7 but the G7 is still easier to use in many ways because of its ergonomics. I am enjoying having both but I will be interested in seeing what the new G8 / G80 offers when it is announced in September and the pricing of it!

8. PanamaMan

PanamaMan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2013
    An honest and concise review Vincent - keep up the good work! After buying the GX80 for its IBIS I've come back to my G7 because of its superior ergonomics - it looks as though it will pair well with the 100 - 400mm beast.

9. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    One remark: I believe that the base sensitivity of this Panasonic sensor is 200 ISO. Bodies which provide "extended" 100 ISO (e.g. GX7) expose "to the right" (ie overexpose by 1 EV).
    Am I wrong?

10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Good stuff, thanks for posting. I tried a G7 in haste and sent it back before my period for refund expired; I agree it fit really well in my hand, but the timing for a new camera was just awful so I cut my 'losses'.

I'm now enjoying a GM1 but I do wonder at times about that lost G7 opportunity. Timing can really make or break a camera purchase! :shakehead:

11. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yes Base ISO is 200. It has steadily increased with each new model. Original 12 mp cameras had ISO 100, my G5 started at 160.

12. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    G7 and GM1 are quite different cameras! Once the G8 (or whatever they will call it) gets released G7 prices will surely drop.