1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My project: A site ot compare mirrorless cameras and lenses

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by rygel, May 22, 2012.

1. rygel

rygel New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    Hello everyone,

I am in the process of creating a page to compare different mirrorless cameras and lenses from different manufacturers. Currently it offers only basic information about cameras and some more information about lenses. And for some cameras and lenses it includes links to previews/reviews/videos, too.
    My plan is to extend the site in the coming weeks with more review links and more lists, like all manual lenses, or all fisheye lenses, etc.

You can find it at: Mirrorlessdb.com

Alex

• Like Like x 7
  2. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    I kinda like it, may I suggest using 'MFT' as an acronym for 'Micro Four Thirds'? :)

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Good work...keep it up.

4. OlyPanda

OlyPanda New to Mu-43

May 23, 2012
    Great job!
    It would be great if you could include prices, especially in the lens section!

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  6. rygel

rygel New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    Thank you for your comments.

@slith: I will think about that. I know "Micro Four Thirds" is a long name and MFT is much smaller, but my initial thoughts were that not everybody is familiar with this abbreviation. But I will probably have to deal with it later on, as in some tables it will be too long.

@OlyPanda: Yes prices would be interesting, but the downside is that they need to be checked/updated regularly and they are country specific.

@DeeJayK: Thanks for the links. I did not know them and the spreadsheets of the MFT bodies is very interesting.

Also I have released a new update of the site with some new reviews and new properties of cameras and lenses (stabiliser, weather sealing, macro).

Alex

7. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I was working at something like this, mainly for a database about accessories compatibility. Kinda left in the start of the database compilation because I'm pretty full at work. ( M43 Compatibility Masterlist )

8. rygel

rygel New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    Yes, populating the database takes lots of time. And it seems that with every new camera or lens some new feature is introduced (which is cool, but makes it harder to keep up-to-date).

9. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
  10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I really like the simple, easy to read look and organization of your website. Info will be easy to find. I've bookmarked it.

11. rygel

rygel New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    @M4/3: Thank you! I try hard to keep it focused, so that all information can be accessed quickly.

Also I updated the site. New features are:
    - New reviews, previews, videos, articles.
    - Now the tables with cameras contain more links to allow for easier filtering of some properties, like form factor, battery, etc. The tables of the lenses are currently not changed, but they will follow.
    - Most of the URLs of the camera tables have changed. However, the new URL structure is much more future proof, which helps to avoid such a big change in the future. The URLs of the lenses will follow.
    - Added "constant vs. variable aperture" lists for lenses.

Edit:
    I released a small update, which fixed some dead links (cameras/weather sealing) and changed all URLs to the new structure.

Alex

12. rygel

rygel New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    A new update with lots of new features.
    - New reviews, previews, videos, articles.
    - Added weight, diameter, length, filter size, stabilisation for lenses.
    - Added Hot shoe, stabilisation for cameras.
    - Added compatibility for lenses and cameras. Currently only the compatibility of the (Panasonic) 3D lens is checked.
    - Added statistics. Currently there are 456 unique links in the database.
    - Lot's of internal changes, which make new features simpler to add.

Alex

13. rygel

rygel New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    Update: New name, etc.

Hello Forum,

I was busy improving my site and there are some notable changes:
    - Changed name to MirrorlessDB. I think it clarifies the intend of the project better.
    - Improved the design of the site to be more visually pleasant :smile:
    - Kept the database updated.
    - Detailed information can be found here: Welcome to MirrorlessDB

• Like Like x 1
  14. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Just give my suggestion.

Some picture for said camera and lens will helps visitor new with mirrorless system.

15. rygel

rygel New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    @st3v4nt: Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into it. My current concern about images is that I would need permission by the different companies to show them on my site.