My preferred kit

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by BAXTING, Sep 10, 2013.

1. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Like many others here, I have also dipped my toes into the Fuji waters and have been pleased to say the least. I am personally either shooting product or shooting street/random photos. Lately Ive really been in love with my X100 while out on the street and although it is not the smallest camera it almost always just feels right while my G5 sits in the bag or at home waiting for me to do something artsy or shoot some product for graphic design/web material.

Ive been so torn because I almost feel like Im not allowed to like both systems. I know its a personal problem hehe. Ive tried to think about what I like most from either. While shooting product/artsy stuff I dont mind larger lenses or a body ( I know M 4/3 is already small right), but on the street I am always on the go with no real plan of what I hope to accomplish and sometimes feels odd having the G5 + PL25 in my hand, around my neck, etc...

Ive owned an EPM1, EP1, EP2, GX1, & G5. Although at the time I owned it the EPM1 was not my favorite I find that I quite often miss it and was really able to keep it with me all the time. For now the X100 fills that void for me, but I got around to thinking what a great setup for street an EPM2 with either Oly 17 lens would be and I may be headed in the smaller go everywhere kit direction again.

Now that my rant is over, what is your "go to" kit when it comes to Street Photography with m 4/3?

2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    E-PM1 and Panasonic 20mm, sometimes Olympus Bodycap lens. It's just so compact, but at the expense of physical controls.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    The upcoming GX7 + 12-35mm hmmmm... :rolleyes: hopefully i wake up holding one in my hands :D

Sent via Tapatalk on Android.

• Like Like x 2
  4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Was an EP-1 with kit lens, I had the 17mm but got rid as it did little for me, now probably the G3 with Kit or 14mm for now if the 14 pans out then when I get spare money the 20mm or if I can get enough the 25mm. I am tempted to wait till I have the extra to get the 25mm 50mm eqiv is sooo right in my hands.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    My EM5 with the 12mm/2! Thats my go to setup.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Like Like x 1
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't do "street photography." But for right now, I am really enjoying my G5 and 14 and 45. I still have my E-PM1 and I do really like the size and while it is an older sensor, I don't have any problem with the output of it. I just find it struggles with some of the photography I like to do. I often like to make quick changes and the G5 is just easier for me to do that on. But the E-PM1 is a great "LITTLE" camera. Especially if you don't make a lot of changes on the fly. Or if you're just better at it than I am.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have not done much street shooting, but I do love my GF3 for that type of shooting. With the 14mm it looks like a point and shoot. It is so easy and slick to use, the touch screen is a dammed sight quicker than the GF2's. My only cmplaint is the noisy shutter, though is is softer sounding than the GF1 & GF2 shutter.
    If I had the money, I would have the GX7 with the Oly 17 f1.8 for street shooting. That cost a little bit more than the Fuji X100s, but I would have the luxury of using my other lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    E-P2 and Fujinon CF25B. I'm looking at switching to a different 25mm in the future, likely a Goyo 25mm f/0.95.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4

• Like Like x 1
  9. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Some of fav shots were with the Epm1 and PL25 :thumbup:

10. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    I like street portrait photography so I use E-M5 and 45mm a lot. When I want to capture a wider scene I have my X100s...Then for night time street photography, I use the E-m5 and 25mm f1.4 combo. :smile:

11. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    E-P5 and 45mm.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    E-P3 and PL25, although I agree that the lens+hood feels a little oversized at times...I'm still hoping Oly has a prototype 25/1.8 hidden away in their design lab.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Who said? I happen to like both as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Not really "street" shooting, but casual, grab shots: E-PL2 plus Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 is a great combo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Well, this sucks for me...PL5 and the freakin kit lens!

It's not that bad, but man do I need the panny 25mm...saving, saving...

• Like Like x 1
  16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I used the kit lens for over a year before I bought another lens. I have to restrain myself or I'd go in debt buying photography gear so I limit my purchases to much less than I'd like. I'd like the P25 too, but for the same price I bought a P14 (used) and an O45. I still want the P25 but I am making myself use and enjoy what I have.

And the PL5 looks like a great camera to me. It was the camera I thought I would buy next until I got such a smoking deal on the G5. So, now I have an Olympus and a Panasonic body to confuse myself with.

17. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Just my own personal problem I guess. Everything is always black and white with me so hanging around in the middle is new to me, but I truly enjoy both camera systems for different reasons. I may have more invested in one or the other, but I think I'll keep enjoying using both for the time being. Actually they have both taught me to enjoy what the other offers so I think keeping them both around will be good for my CHI.

I'm really eyeballing another small body (GX1, EMP2) to play with and possibly an Oly 17 f/1.8 to compare shots with my X100. The X100 is almost always zone focusing while I know that I can AF crazy fast with M43 stuff.

I guess the perfect camera would really be closet full of them :biggrin:

18. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    It is so hard not to want that GX7 :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    E-PM1 or E-M5 w/ O 17. The PEN goes everywhere with me, although it will be retired when I decide on new body.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Baxting - I assume your X100 is the X100 and not the X100S?

If so, from what I've read the X100S is supposedly A LOT better at AF and has a larger sensor, from the different images I've seen the IQ seems to get quite the bump. So my question is would the X100S be worth the rather dramatic price increase for a street/backpack "always with you" camera?

I'm keeping my G5 and m4/3 lenses and don't plan on "jumping ship" like many users seem to be doing. But I am considering trying to find a small body without an interchangeable lens so it's always set and ready to go and I'm not tempted by any GAS. :)

Just wanted to get some opinions from someone with experience when m4/3 and the X100.

• Like Like x 1