My Pocket Rocket - by PL45

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by cstevens, Apr 17, 2010.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    On the way back from an incredible urban explore (will post pics shortly), I took a brief stop off and took some snaps of my little pocket rocket car.

Ever since the wife got a Toyota Yaris, I thought they where great little cars...just a tad underpowered...which is when I found they did a very limited Japan built (the normal Yaris is built in France) pocket rocket, and I traded in my Seat Diesel for one of these.

They only made 2500 of these, in 2007 - 1.8 SR VVTI, the same engine as our old MR2 Roadster :) She flys, as you would expect when they shoe horn that engine in a 998kg car and completely redevelop the suspension, steering and braking system from the ground up....plus it wasnt part of their recall.

Anyway, the car enjoyed the view by the roadside :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    wish that was available here.....

3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yep, I think the US market was gutted that this was never made available over there.

I think Japan and Europe where the only places....its a lot of car for the money, many called it a warm hatch rather than a hot, but thats always been Toyota's way.

We have owned an MR2 Roadster and a Celica T-Sport, if you know how to drive them then they are very fun cars, and the 1.8 SR is no different. I came from a very torquey diesel, and believe me this Yaris is a whole load of fun!

Its pretty understated in some respects as they are quite rare, in the UK there is a SR badged range, which was just alloys, keyless etc, but if you compare a standard SR next to the 1.8 believe me most people can see the difference, completely different body kit, different bumpers and grills with integrated fogs, big wheels, big brakes and sits a lot lower (and yes that exit pipe is completely standard out of the factory!).

Sports suspension, improved steering rack (2.5 turns lock to lock), traction control, ESP, Electronic Brake Assist, are all things I would never have expected in a "super-mini", but its that Dual VVTI that makes the car, when it hits 4500-6000 revs it feels and sounds incredible, and it even averages around 32-35mgp, which aint bad.

4. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

A great set and a really cool car - it seems like the PL45 is your fav lens at them moment from your uploads

5. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Aside from the nice pics.....I just love fast hatches....right now we're driving a Golf TDI w/ fat injectors. I have my eyes on a newer GTI.....but yours looks VERY hot.

R

6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    When I lived in Hawaii I had a green Golf TDI too.... loved
    the MPG's. Drove it from Florida to Cali and shipped it over.
    Nine months later I sold it to return to Florida as the shipping
    the other way was too much trouble.

7. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I've had a Mini Cooper S Works for almost 8 years now and love driving it. It's a very torquey front wheel drive car and is very greedy petrol wise. I only get about 20 mpg :frown: I had 3 "old" minis in my youth but they were nothing like this one! This is the first car I've had no desire to change after a couple of years:biggrin:

8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    The one before this as a Seat Leon FR Tdi - very torqy, very quick for an oil burner, but somehow, just not easy around town - too heavy, never quick round bends either.

I had that car the longest I owned a car (from new) for 4 years, but just yearned for a little hot hatch that was fun around town and the country roads.

Its taken a while to get used to constantly filling the tank, and only getting 250 miles out of it, but it only costs 45 to fill it. The Leon FR used to do 450 out of a tank, but 60 to fill it, plus 2 front tyres every 9k miles (260lb torque and heavy engine and right foot) it was just costing too much to run.

What the 1.8 SR lacks in pure power, it makes up in power to weight ration, and setup of the car....its put a lot of fun back in driving - although took me a while to realise I cant shake big BMW's or Boxsters anymore.

9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    But I bet you can take them on the turns.....:smile: