My photography spark is singing this week!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by gardengirl13, Jun 28, 2013.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough week, but I'm really digging the concept of photography as an anti-depressant. :thumbup:

I like what you've captured here. I especially like the way you've played with flipping and mirroring them to make them something new. Thanks for sharing!

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I like them, very different

4. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    That is REALLY cool!! Great way to get your mind off things. Thanks for sharing!!

If I may ask, since I don't know much about PS and all, how do you get the black background and what not? Care to do a quick write up? :p

5. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    wow.. I think you're on to something!
    (and :2thumbs: for the 12-50 :biggrin: )

6. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Nevermind.

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As far as the 12-50 goes, describing the consensus sentiment as "hate" seems a bit strong. I don't recall any discussion here where this lens was particularly disparaged. Any criticism I've noticed comes down primarily on it's size and the fact that it's not particularly fast (which is a common complaint with any "kit" zoom).

8. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    Great images! I agree that when I'm having a bad week, the best medicine is to be productive in one of my hobbies/artistic pursuits. I think Neil Gaiman had something to say about that: NEIL GAIMAN: Make good art

Tell us a little more about the setup - I assume you used an off-camera flash to isolate the droplets from the background?

Also, agree on the watermarks - no need to go nuts protecting your images unless you plan to sell those exact images.

9. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Great idea!

I like the concept of what you are doing. Thank you for posting these!

Dan

10. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Well the watermarks I'm keeping since I've had photos stolen. Anything to deter people a little more eases the mind.

As for the "hate" well no one ever really recommends it, they say it's slow, not sharp, there are xxxx better options out there. It seems most people don't really feel the love for it that I do.

now for my set-up I talk about it a little bit in the blog post. But basically it's a small fish tank, I clipped a black t-shirt to the back of it for the black background. The biggest pain in the butt is the air bubbles! holy crap you don't know how many air bubbles there are in water. I swished most of them away then when I opened them in PS there were TONS more! I don't own a flash, so I worked outside, which caused some issues with glare from the glass. But I worked around it a bit. I sadly had to bump the ISO quite high to get the higher f/stops. I used high burst for the drops and low for the plumes. Which completely killed the battery. For the most part in PS I messed around with levels, cloned out as many air bubbles as my poor eyes could handle, cropped out any unwanted space and in some as you can see did some mirror imaging. I plan on messing around more with the mirror imaging and maybe doing more then one mirror, like maybe 3-4 images. But I slightly feel that it detracts from the beauty of the milk a bit. We'll see what I can figure out.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I don't think I've ever seen this done before - great stuff! :2thumbs:

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Absolutely stunning :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

13. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    Thanks everyone!!! You guys saying such nice things is helping me feel better!

14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Simply Inspiring!
    I've seen vagely similar images done with smoke, but I'm going to have to try this too.
    I think using a reflection creatively can add a lot to the image, but it needs careful choice of the starting image. Your second from last shot looks to be like a troop of Ballet dancers, it wouldn't have worked like that with a random choice for the reflection. I'm not sure that multiple reflections would work as well to my eye, but feel free to prove me wrong.

15. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US

Oh that's funny my grandmother's sister said that image looks like cirque du soleil to her!

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I guess they're a bit like Rorschach images in that the way your mind interprets the images really reflects your own history and personality.

17. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    When showing my husband last night we joked about them being like the ink blot images. in the whole series on my blog a few look to me like skulls, one looks like a spine. Which in the mind's subconscious with the health issues I have the spine one is self-explanatory! ha ha!

18. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Thanks very much for taking the time to explain, you've inspired me to try this! :)

19. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Interesting work. Thanks for sharing.

20. gardengirl13

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    OK just so you know what it'll look like, well what it looked like for me, here is the original image. This is only shrunk to 800 pixels since my internet is crazy slow and my silly watermark was added. Otherwise it's untouched.

originalcr.

Now from here I cropped it, then messed with the levels, mostly making it much darker as that cut out most of the air bubbles and reflections. Then brightened it keeping the middle level about the same, depending on the images. Then just take the time to clone out the bubbles. I also clicked on a dark area and made the back ground slightly more even with the brush tool. But if you can get it solid and dark enough you won't need to do that. As I said this is my first time doing this, so I'm hoping to find easier ways of doing it! As it is it took about 500% longer to edit these images then any other image I take and edit! I'm hoping to get the original images better so there will be less editing in the future. If anyone else tries this please post here and let us know how it goes and what you did!!

Here again is the edited final image.

151022763w0IZu0nE.

I'll snap a quick shot of my set-up to help out if anyone wants that. It's basically the little tank on my porch railing, with those large paper clips holding the shirt to the tank and the camera on a tripod in front of it. Let me set it up quick and snap a shot then post it.

ETA: ok here is the set-up

setup1.

setup2.

hope this helps!