1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My photography plans for 2012

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DrLazer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Well they haven't gone to plan and it's only Jan 24th! this year I was supposed to be snowboarding in Switzerland and backpacking around Australia for a couple of months. All sounded great, I love the thought of visiting both of those places. I planned on offloading the G10 and replacing it with a smaller u4/3 camera.

I got back from the Canary Islands at the end of last year. I took with me my Lumix G10 and the 14-45mm kit lens, which I purchased thanks to help I got picking it from members of this forum. It was awesome having a camera that performs so well without it giving you backache as you walk around interesting places. If you are interested .. here are some of my fave shots from that trip.
    Timanfaya national park, Lanzarote | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/drlazer/6246535050/in/set-72157624847177251/
    El Cotillo, Fuerteventura - Panorama | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    A line of dromedarys | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I LOVE those images. In terms of quality, at the resolution I view images most of the time, they meet all my requirements. I had one of those images printed and it hangs in my front room. One thing I noticed ... 280 or so images I snapped on holiday and 270 were at 14mm! I think I found my preferred focal length.

I have now sold my beloved G10 and I bought a GF1 on ebay for about the same price. The GF1 as far as I am aware is the only one that actually has remote shutter and flashmount, so it's the only mini u4/3 camera body that meets my requirements. I will be picking up a 14mm f/2.5 this week too. :smile:

Added benefit ... when I go snowboarding in Switzerland, it will fit nicely in my jacket pocket while I carve around the Matterhorn and drive a campervan along the East Coast of down under. Then I got told I was being evicted from my rented house! I'm not renting again because it sucks. All plans have changed ... all my savings are going on the deposit of a house I am going to buy and the holidays are off the radar for this year. I'm still happy about the GF1 though.

I also plan this year to buy a Canon 50D for my macro work. The EFSC feature that only comes on Canon cameras (actually the new Sony A77 has it too) leaves me literally without choice if I have any hope of becoming a top tier macrophotographer. I hate Canon cameras too .... Grrrrrr.

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Sorry to hear of your change of plan. It sounded pretty good. Although home ownership can be rewarding (and challenging)

What is EFSC? I'm pretty sure you're not talking about the European Federation For Street Children.

Fred

3. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    lol Fred no!

It's a feature in Canon cameras that means the lines of the sensor turn on electronically with the first part of the shutter wide open. the exposure is completed when the mechanical rear shutter closes the sensors exposure to the light. Combined with live-view and a locked mirror it is the only way to take photographs with zero vibration. Just what you need for macro

4. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    From what i have seen you already are a top tier macrophotographer :bravo-009:

5. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Thanks thats very kind.

here is a question for anybody that can answer it. I have been wondering if the 14mm pancake will perform as well as the 14-45mm kit lens @ 14mm?

6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I would say yes. Love mine. the fact it's faster makes it worth having. When i put my camera away , the 14 is always attached . Great lens.