1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My personal thoughts about Robin Wong's blog (comments welcome)

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by Swandy, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    That is constructive criticism that you explain the problematic areas and then explain the resolution to improve them,

A good teacher doesn't need to point faults at all to boost student to fix own faults.

2. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    If he is paid by a manufacturer he should disclose this, not hide it. Anything else is dishonest. Apologists for unethical practices are sad.

End of.

3. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Have you read the review?

sent from my Xperia Z

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm so confused by this post. First, what does "End of." even mean? Second, what's the point here? The only conclusion that occurs to me--which is likely the wrong one since, as I wrote, I don't understand the post--is that he/she didn't even read Wong's blog before complaining about it.

Weird.

5. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    no matter. pass the molotov!!!!

6. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Praise is without reasoning and explanation why it is so. Like someone say "the image quality is best" or even just "it has good image quality" without explaining it, comparing it to others to validate the claim. Praise is open or should it be said "vulnerable" to criticism as people who praise something, rarely have thought it out why they like so.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well phooey! This is totally disappointing. TWO threads on the Panasonic/Olympus (or to put it another way the Olympus/Panasonic) nifty-fifty equivalent lenses and an online paper (Ha! See what I did there? I avoided the "R" word!) by Robin Wong and it appears that I'm going to have to do something that is totally unacceptable, something that I always try to avoid doing.

I'm going to have to use intelligence backed by experience* and make up my own mind about which lens, if either, is best for me.

Rats. Totally unfair. We're years and years down the road of the Indgernet and I shouldn't have to do that anymore.

I'm absolutely complaining to Management.

Anybody have the email address of the guy who oversees the Indgernet handy??? And I'm not fooling around either, I'm going to use All Caps and the Red Font!

:biggrin:

With tongue firmly in cheek while I grin, duck, and run verra verra fast...

Regards,

Jim

*(With apologies to Nero Wolfe and Archie for coining their phrase).

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Sure, although its a woman, not a guy ;

JenB@RenomIndustries.co.uk

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    exactly. Bring out the pitchforks!!

10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Can't be Ulfric, that's a UK address.

Don't you know that the Indgernet is a totally American invention?

:biggrin:

Oh, wait, I found it...

Edit: NSA asked me to delete the link. Also not to use all caps. But the red font will be fine... :wink:

:hiding:

Regards,

Jim

11. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Thanks ulfric...time I watched it crowd again!

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I do not take objection with how you have defined praise, I personally try to offer up any praise with validation. Otherwise, it just seems insincere, and that is just not my style.

--Ken

13. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    What hypocritical nonsense. Robin is entitled to his opinion about the DPR comparison, and he always expresses his views carefully and politely. He's simply expressing an opinion which you may not agree with. That is not an attack. If you or anyone else at DPR disagrees, you are equally entitled to have your say. But here is the problem - it seems that some contributors over there sometimes lack those all-important human attributes which are in abundance here - politeness, balance, and understanding. Hence the lynch mobs, the abuse, the name hurling. And it's a shame, because that site can be fascinating at times, full of the kind of technical information and explanations one may not find elsewhere, and amongst the bullies there are also some wonderful people who stick around, hoping to make DPR a better place.

I have considerable experience of DPR, and the consequences of publishing something their members don't like. To explain my reaction, back in 2011 I posted a positive account on my blog of a Fuji camera, simply my experiences as a user, with plenty of real-world photographs. One unfortunate evening, I discovered that a link had been placed to my blog on DPR. I was vilified, slandered, threatened, my website was attacked and brought down, my business suffered, my clients suffered, I received vile hate mail for many weeks. The "moderators" ignored my pleas for removal of the damaging comments. In the end, the vendetta became too much even for some of the DPR members, they got together and petitioned the forum to remove the thread, for my own safety. I'm sure you will regard that as just retribution for daring to have a different view to DPR - but I see it as something very different. More recently, after another article I wrote went viral, the hate mail returned, originating from ...... no prizes for guessing. I've had to shut down the comments facility on my blog permanently as a result.

Thanks to the fallout from DPR on these occasions, I stopped commenting on equipment for quite some time, but recently I've decided to take the risk since I am as entitled to have a voice as anybody else. I will even occasionally post over at DPR, in the more levelheaded sections. I feel very sorry for Robin Wong, because if he is having to make a follow-up post declaring that he is reluctant to provide any more comparisons, then you can bet your life he has received some pretty shoddy attention.

I do wish this discussion would stop, I'm finding it very unsettling. Frankly, if some of you are that interested in lens comparisons (or whatever) then I suggest you buy your own equipment and test it yourself, instead of bleating about other people's 'flawed results'. That way there is no disputing the integrity of the reviewer (said with tongue firmly in cheek).

I'm sorry to speak so bluntly, but I don't think many people here will realise just how unpleasant it can be when a person is singled out like this, it never really goes away. Get a grip everyone, we're talking about stupid cameras, not the end of the world as we know it.

• Like Like x 15
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There's been too much flaming over the Robin Wong comparison. The threads related to this are now closed. Please do not start another one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.