1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My personal thoughts about Robin Wong's blog (comments welcome)

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by Swandy, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael

I guess I'm one of those who doesn't come away feeling like I've been betrayed after reading his blog, even if he is an Olympus employee. I own the Pany 25 and still like it. If they had both been available when I purchased the Pany, I might have been tempted to go with the Olympus but with all else being equal, I'd rather shoot at ISO 1000 than 1600 if that's all the only difference - and at least based on his obviously biased photographs, the difference is pretty subtle.

2. I was always too scared to want to find out "about" Ken Rockwell. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Ken Rockwell is too much sometimes and I am scared to read about Zack Arias of especially after DSLR is dead kind of joke.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I read it for what it is, a marketing brochure created by an employee of Olympus marketing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    :p rotest_emoticon::p rotest_emoticon::p rotest_emoticon::p rotest_emoticon: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I only trust reviewers that have no bias or support from ads or manufacturers.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess that rules out...err, everyone. ;) 

• Like Like x 6
  8. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    He takes nice photos and writes long, detailed reviews that are filled with his opinions. I don't rely on him as a sole source of information and neither should anyone else.

Else you would no longer be a witness to the slow, tortured and agonizing death of critical thinking but instead a willing participant.

9. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    I couldn't say it better. No one forces us to read anything on the web we don't want to read, and no one is forcing us to buy Olympus products. I don't waste much time griping about free reviews. For what it's worth, I enjoyed reading his blog and wish I had even half his talent as a street photographer.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Well, I "drooled" over the pictures he took around a year before taking the position with Olympus Malaysia with that 75mm Zuiko, "drooled" over them for more than a year before finally ordering that lens.

It lives up to my expectations 100%. Robin was a confirmed Olympus enthusiast long before accepting that position with the company. I don't have a problem with his promoting what he believes in.

• Like Like x 7
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That raises an important point about his reviews; take anything he says with a grain of salt, but he does show what you can do with the lenses that he reviews. I find what I have read, a lot more entertaining than say what DP Review puts up, which is simply clinical and dry.

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I could say it a lot better. Marketing works. We all are so sure it doesn't.... not on me! Only on the unintelligent or weak. Hah!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Honestly I have no problem with him being employed by Olympus. If a camera brand was paying my bills I'd easily be pimping their gear. I think those complaining are just flat out jealous! :rolleyes:  :wink: I also find his pictures and style way better than the likes of Steve H*ff or any review site that begs you to click on their sponsor links.

• Like Like x 4
  14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That is exactly how I feel, too. I enjoy reading Robin's blog for what it is - an entertaining blog written by a great photographer and an Olympus enthusiast, who has recently became an Olympus employee. I still like my PL25, and won't be trading it in for the Olympus lens after reading his review, nor do I feel bad about my decision. What Robin showed me in his review is that Olympus came up with another winner of its own...

Having said that, if I didn't already have the PL25, I might have been tempted to go with the Olympus, especially because of the shorter minimum focusing distance, which has always been one of the main gripes I have with the PL25, and it's not something I need to be told by Robin...

15. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Robin is an excellent photographer and when he posts a new review I make sure to drop by his blog and have a read...I certainly wouldn't buy a piece of gear based solely on his conclusions in much the same way I didn't buy the Toyota 4X4 just because the Toyota rep told me it was better than the equivalent Nissan version I was considering.

I shoot an Olympus m43 body....2 Oly m43 lenses and 2 Panasonic m43 lenses. My next lens will more than likely be a Panasonic and my next body an Olympus. I also shoot a Ricoh GR, a Sony RX1 and have used a couple of Fujis.......I think by now I've learnt to recognise a salesman when I see one....Robin Wong is precisely that, but because he is such a great photographer and uses and reviews gear I'm interested in I will always give him the time of day.

• Like Like x 4
  16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Large and bold is the equivalent of shouting - we are not deaf. Let's keep it friendly. Thank you.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And Zack's anti-DSLR 'antics' means we know he won't be getting the XT-1 either....:biggrin::wink:

18. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    There is no reason to believe that what you saw or read came from a representative copy of that lens. Therefore Wong showed me nothing.

The new 25 is a slightly larger, slower and longer-FL alternative to the 20 pancake for much the same price.

19. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    His pictures are okay, not really anything special. Not sure what you guys are seeing, if you want to see great amateur work, join 500px or the alt gear forum at FM.

20. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    And in a month or two we have read five or ten other "tests" and they are going to be at the same level, I think. He has his pride too not to write total crap. We all can read and we know internet AND we all have "filters" for what we read AND nobody will buy anything based of just one "internet writing", yes? ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.