My PEN-F Review

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AlexH, Mar 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I mentioned in another thread a few weeks back that I might write up a mini-review of the PEN-F. It's not meant to be an exhaustive technical review by any means, just a few of my thoughts using the camera as I normally would on the street. If you're so inclined, check out my review:

Olympus PEN-F Review

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Like me, you appear to not be a big user of AF-C. That appears to be the most nagging flaw of the F for some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    Curious.. are there not front & rear dials on the top right side for shutter speed & aperture? If so, why would you like the on/off as a shutter dial?

4. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Of course there are, otherwise the lack of dedicated shutter speed and ISO dials would've been a glaring negative in my review. I said it was my "preference" to have dedicated shutter and ISO dials, and the reason it's my preference is so I could take complete analog control over the camera without looking at a menu or onscreen prompt to see my shutter or ISO. Think Fuji X.

This type of camera screams for controls like that, and it does in fact have the right dials, just misallocated IMHO. If you're going to put a sizable knob on one side of the camera to act as a simple on/off switch, why not use it for something more interesting during the shooting process like ISO? Same with the creative dial. I'd rather go through a menu for creative/art modes than ISO or shutter.

It's still a fantastic shooting experience, one of my favorites, in fact. That being said, any time I can ditch a menu, I will.

5. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    He means a dedicated manual dial like the Fuji's have for shutter speed and the aperture rings.

I'm torn on this myself, there are days that I prefer having the Fuji system of having an aperture ring and shutter speed dials, but times it can slow me down too much. If I like to fine tune my SS then I'll have to set the SS to a hard stop then further fine tune with the sub command dial. Or set it to T and use the dials on the rear. At that point it's no different than setting via dial like the Olympus. Same goes for aperture, I appreciate having manual control but there are times when depending on the lens, the ring will get knocked out of place and I end up with a shot at f/11 instead of f/4. And it doesn't bother me since I shoot auto ISO the majority of the time but the last two big Fuji cameras have a very polarizing system of ISO (X-T1 with the lock on the ISO dial that must be pressed down to change and the X-Pro 2 with the lift and turn). Makes me appreciate the Olympus mode dial with its click to release, click to lock. Having to press down while changing was one of my biggest pet peeves with the Sony a7rII.

To get back on topic, great review! Makes me itch more for my incoming Pen f.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    gotcha. sorry. you're just saying that it would be nice if it had dedicated dials for each of the 3 exposure variables and they only did 2. Yes, that would be extremely useful. I don't know about using that on/off switch though. Me, I'd be poking myself in the eye all the time trying to dial it in. I'd think that little area next to the viewfinder is kind of dead space as far as a useful dial goes. But whatever.. I don't know anything about Fuji's (or much else for that matter); so carry on :)

7. wyluncustoms

wyluncustoms Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    hey there, great review, I've had the Pen F for about a week and I was wondering if you can help me. The camera to my knowledge works 100% fine. shooting in aperture mode is fine, touch screen works fine when using the LCD, (touch and takes the picture, very fast). I mention the last part b/c when I'm shooting video, (in A priority, using S-AF), it seems like the touch screen to select focus is disabled and then i cant use the shutter to re-focus WHILE recording. Everything world literally find b4 hand when you're setting up, but if i have to re-position or re-focus, I cant do nothing. (mind you I've checked the settings the best I can, and even reset all the setting to try to start from scratch and I just cant get around it). I'm not sure if this camera isnt just made for shooting video, or they'are pressing for you to use the C-AF or Manual.

I'm puzzled by this b/c I've done this many times w/ my olympus epl-1 and my omd em5 (atleast re-focusing w/ the shutter button). can you answer me if this is just a new (or downgrade) in the Pen F's system or is it just mine? I know people have said that the video recording in the pen F is somewhat lacking but something so simple taken out?

thanks!