My Peak Design Capture Clip problem with E-M5 Mk II and 12-40mm f2.8 (and solution)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by CrispyDuck, Aug 15, 2016.

1. CrispyDuck

CrispyDuck Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016
    I'm a big fan of the belt clips you can get as an alternative to neck straps and the other solutions for hands free quick access camera carrying. When I got the 12-40mm f2.8 I was dissapointed to see that it doesn't work with the 'Peak Design Capture Clip V2' that I owned. This was to be my walk around combination but the lens gets in the way of the clip.

To solve it I either needed a grip or a cover so I picked up this for around £10 on ebay.

I didn't go for the grip to avoid bulk when I wanted to use the camera with smaller lenses. I think it looks pretty great and feels nice in the hand. The finish is better than I expected.

Battery access is fine but memory card access is a little impeded.

It's not that the card doesn't come out it's just a little more fiddly as the door doesn't fully open. Something I can live with.

The result:

She fits!

Time to go play!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    My camera E-P5 only just fits with the kit lens. I wish they also made the clip a little thicker so the plastic tab that catches on the plate could be a little thicker, looks like it could wear out to me.

I have decided to only use mine on a pack strap so the camera drops in vertically and I have a neck strap on for safety as well.

I would not trust myself to use the clip on a belt and slide the camera in from the side. Too hard to know if it is locked in correctly, especially if you are in an awkward situation and you don,t hear that loud locking click they play on the youtube videos.

But overall I like it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

The Capture plates are just not really designed to sit in parallel with the lens axis. I use mine on backpack straps. But clearly with some work they are usable for belt attachment - nice one. I wouldn't carry mine this way, but mine has never shown any signs of letting go, if anything it's usually harder to slide out than in. They are quite reliable.