My OMG System

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Raimondi, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Raimondi

Raimondi Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Happy to share photos of my new born OMG system.

First to introduce is the middle brother - OMG 45.

[​IMG]

It has a big purple-coloured eye.

[​IMG]

Note the improved bigger focusing wheel at right bottom corner.

[​IMG]

It is enjoyful to do nothing but just starr at the very beautiful T* coating.

[​IMG]

Adaptor is relatively nice built - although I still cannot say focusing is very comfortable.

[​IMG]

I actually love the sliver & silvery black match - it looks more classic to me than a completely silver or completely slivery black set. It really depends on personal taste and of course black G lens are more expensive and difficult to get.

[​IMG]

Balancing with original filter and hood is great. Manual focus is relatively easy.

[​IMG]

The handy G flash is added. It matches!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then here comes the eldest brother of the system - OMG 90. The hood is relatively long and making it looks prominent and eyes catching.

[​IMG]

Same family and so same beautiful generic T* coating as its OMG 45 brother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I do not own a G35 and so I am still missing the youngest OMG 35 (without modification). If there is chance, I would probably try to get a black G35 and see how it fits.

Thanks for welcoming my new born OMG family.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Thank you Raimondi, and now the important bit... where are the image samples using this beautiful combination!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 4
  3. Roni G

Roni G Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Israel
    Beautiful "products" photography, really tempting! Yes, I would love to see sample photographs from the different lenses.

• Like Like x 4
  4. dneyhard

dneyhard New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Hello to all--
    I am a "lurker" here since the forums inception and since I do not own a micro 4/3 camera/lens I have not posted but have been reading and learning about this system. I want to thank all of you for your informative postings.
    Since I have an extensive Contax G System, this may be the post that "pushes me off of the fence".

Good Shooting,

Don

• Like Like x 6
  5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks for your post Don, it's such a nice forum - hopefully more will feel comfortable speaking up. :bravo-009:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Does this lens/converter combination work only in manual focus mode?

If you have a chance post some pix. It is a very nice looking camera & lens.

7. Raimondi

Dec 19, 2009
    Hello Ninja, you are correct. This set only allows manual focusing. In fact G-lenses do not have the manual focusing ring like traditional MF lenses and so you have to manual focus by turning a small wheel at the adaptor. It is not easy and requires good craftmanship of the adaptor. Now I am getting more used to it.

I finally managed to spare myself out some time for taking some shots with this OMG 45/2 Planar and 90/2.8 Sonnar combo. I had written some testing feelings with pictures in English in a local forum :

EP2 + G45
    http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php?tid=110136&extra=page%3D1

EP2 + G90
    http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php?tid=110200&extra=page%3D1

I shall create a new OMG forum and put in some photos here for sharing too.

8. Raimondi

Dec 19, 2009
    Dneyhard ... pls come and join me/us!!!

9. dneyhard

dneyhard New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Good Afternoon Raimondi--

Well it's aftenoon here in Texas anyway. Thanks for your continuing post regarding the "OMG System"(I thought that you meant Oh My Gosh).
    Last week I visited my local Austin camera store and toyed with the three Micro 4/3 cameras. Really interesting but I am planning to wait until the PMA show in LA to see what new will be introduced. In the meantime I am closely following all of the really informative posts here on the forum.
    Please keep the information coming.

Don

10. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Raimondi,

Thanks for the explanation. Those are some great lenses and seem to match the size of the Olympus "just right". How easy is it to see when you are in focus when using manual focus? (I have "some difficulty" with my eyes these days.)

I clicked on your links. Good images. You may want to give the 90mm (180mm effective) portrait idea some more time to develop. You will have to change your working distance, by you can get some truly distinctive results. I remember one of the presenters at the Nikon School who was fond of doing portraiture with his 600mm (on 35mm film). The images he showed were quite good and different from what other people were doing at the time. Something different is always good when everyone who buys a camera at Walmart fancies themselves a photographer. I will have to see if I can find the link to them, but I have seen some "people pictures" on one or the other of the 4/3rds bodies with the Olympus OM 85mm f2 and 90mm f2 Macro. The macro is an extremely sharp lens, but few of them were ever made and so they are rather pricey.

I look forward to seeing more images!

Cheers!

11. Raimondi

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi goodday to you dneyhard.

Although I lived in the far east, I do visit Texas once every year for work. Austin is a very nice place and I love San Antonio too. I totally agree that this coming 1 or 2 years will be the rapid development phase of m43 camera product life cycle. So waiting for a while could be a very smart choice before jumping too quick.

For me .. EP2 is my first digital camera or else if I already get a digital one, I am sure I shall be waiting for a while till the technology development gets even more mature and price comes down a bit more ... like you too.

12. Raimondi

Dec 19, 2009
    Hello Ninja,

Manual focusing for me is not too difficult. I am used to manual focusing in the film days anyway. If your manual focusing lens has a F-stop at over 2.8, I do not think you have any difficulty here with the Liveview. In addition, there is a 7x or 10x magnification MF Assist function to help you with more precise focusing. Of course you cannot expect quick operation here though to me it is acceptable.

One common criticism is that the Liveview resolution is only 230,000 pixels so that under strong direct sunlight or dim environment, the Liveview image is not very good rendering manual focusing difficult. This is true and I see this as one area of product improvement in the next round.

13. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i really love the contax g 45mm f2 and and 90 mm 2.8 on my ep-1 but hated the focus wheel so i did this, a case modification using a gear from the transmission of a broken minolta rangefinder to mesh with the adapters wheel

the action is better than i thought with the gear stopping cleanly at either end of the focusing range , it makes the focus quicker thru reducing the number of turnsthru the range and easier thru enlarging what contacts t5he users finger

there is a thread about it on e-p1.net forum

Attached Files: