My OMD-EM5 came in today but?.......

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrDoug, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    My local camera shop in Boise called me today and left a message and said my camera was in.. so I called them back and they said my camera was in with the 12-50 kit lens.. however I ordered body only... what should I do? take it and sell the 12-50? I have no interest in the 12-50.. or should I wait longer for the body only..? :smile: the kit price with 12-50 is $1300.. body only $999.. what would you do.. I have been anxious to get the camera..
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome back . No brainer here sir , tell them u have ordered body only and will take body only and they can take out the kit lens.
  3. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I would grab the whole kit and then possibly sell the lens later. You may have no interest in the kit lens right now but having a weathersealed lens/body might be nice.

So if it were me I'd pick up the kit and play around with the kit lens a little bit, then probably sell it off assuming I didn't like it.
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Will they cut you a bit of a deal?
  5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Doug, you've waited this long so another few days or week or so isn't gonna hurt you. After all, you'll save $300! So look at it as making $300 for a week (or so) of not working :biggrin:

Besides, you still have a superb camera or two you can play with in the meantime. And you'll need at least a week for everyone else here to get theirs set up and tell you what the best settings are...

.... and like that. :cool:

My suggestion would be to just hang in there. Remember... you can do it! Really, you can! :2thumbs:

And somehow I don't think all those 12-50s that will flood the market this week and next are going to command the highest prices.
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Get it while you can. You may get hit by a bus and end up at the Pearly Gates without the OM-D. (Moral an OM-D with a kit is better than no OM-D at all.)

• Like Like x 4
  7. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Same here, I ordered silver body only and got a call that they got me the kit. I ended up getting the kit because having a fully weather sealed camera might come in handy. Plus I didn't want to wait for the body to come, which the guy says it won't be for a while.
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    If you want to be able to claim one of the freebies in time, you might consider taking this one now. It could be months before they ship anything other than kit versions out.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I read on another forum that the body only kits are coming a bit behind the zoom kits. :eek:
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Post a FS feeler here for the weather proof kit lens, and see how easy it would be to sell
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Grab it! The lens retails for 499; you're getting it for 300. That's enough to at least cover your extra cost if you decide to sell it. Someone out there will be kicking themselves for not getting the lens and will snap it up at the discounted price.

But that's just how I'd rationalize it. I really, really, really want this camera delivered!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lordfshack

Lordfshack Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2012
    The best thing to do is take the kit and sell the lens on eBay for a buy it now price of $399.00!!! Since they sell for $500 someone will snag it up at $399 and obviously the camera only cost you $899.00. Kinda surprised no one mentioned that!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Who's gonna pay even $300 for a medicre rated kit lens? Maybe $200, but not $300-400.

Since you may have to wait a month or more for the body only versions to show up at the stores maybe you should get the kit now and sacrifice the $100 loss on the lens. Kind of amazing that the little ol town of Boise gets the OM-D before big guys like Amazon, Adorama, etc.
  14. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yes, I would like the 12-50 but I'm waiting for a lower OMD price or new Pen and getting it as part of the bundle (thinking my EPL1 will sell much better with its kit lens).
  15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    You're absolutely right. They'll start to pop-up in the marketplace for $400 but that'll drop soon enough, my guess is they'll end up around $250 for awhile then nudge to around $200 in the long run. I'm sure Panasonic wanted to keep the 14mm up at $400 as well, but the market dictates and it goes on ebay for about $175 these days.
  16. Lordfshack

Lordfshack Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2012
    Are you kidding. You do know the lens is $500 right? And that people are paying that price everyday. Most of the ones on eBay are selling for the retail price of $500 just the same way amazon, b&h and adarama are also. My friend put his on eBay last week for $399 used and it sold in less the one hr. Find the facts first before you comment!
  17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That surprises me. I would not expect current :43: owners, who don't have weather-sealed cameras, to be buying up the 12-50 at $400 or more. But what do I know? :)
  18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I think the lens right now would probably go for close to list price, if not more. I think 6 months from now it will be much cheaper when more are out there. I'd actually be interested in the lens if it was cheaper, and will probably wait a while to pick one up when it comes down.
  19. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Sounds like we have a visitor from dpreview! Welcome! Dont' be a jerk.

Mr Doug - I'd say this decision should be based on your patience level...if you want it NOW, grab the kit lens and see what happens. Personally, I think I'd wait for the body-only, as you ordered, to save $$ and hassle.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Relax man, you're a pretty new member to be calling someone else a jerk too!

It'll sell for $400 for about a month until there are a flood of people trying to sell their unused ones from the OM-d kits - that $400 price will quickly decline, because nobody needs the weather sealing...unless they also have an OM-d (and knew they wanted it, so bought the kit!).

Classic chicken-egg-kit lens situation.