1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My OMD e-m5 problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mozz, Jun 21, 2012.

1. mozz

mozz New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2012
    Hi guys im new here. I just want to share my OMD problem.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-FPoO6fJE&feature=plcp]olympus om-d em5 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimcZiNrrRQ&feature=plcp]olympus om-d em5 - YouTube[/ame]

BTW i already sent my omd to service center. I lived here in the philippines they told me that that theyre going to send it to japan.:frown:.

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Welcome mozz.

Bad luck with the camera - I suppose it's a bad connection on the sensor or something? Hopefully they'll get it back from Japan to you quickly.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    IBID = In Body Image Destabilization

4. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Similar issue

Your last video is pretty dark. Is the image jumping whenever you engage IBIS with a half-shutter?

I ask because I had this very problem, although without any image lines/fuzz as seen in your first video.

In short, whenever the IBIS was engaged, the sensor would jump to the top-left of the stabilization area and stay there. You can see the problem in two videos below.

At first the problem was intermittent, but it became constant over a few days. Olympus wanted the camera back for repair, but my local vendor is awesome and swapped my camera body for a new one even though I was well beyond the exchange period.

Olympus has the serial number and problem on file, so hopefully they'll still get to take a look at it.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4LaE0MjOAcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Oto3-mkWqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. kktp

kktp New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2012
    My camera just had exactly the same problem during a photoshoot. So it look like there are some parts or connectors that could get loose inside. I will send it to service center on Monday.

6. neurad1

neurad1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

Attached Files:

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    In discussion with an Olympus rep on Saturday I mentioned the various technical problems like this one that have been reported here, and asked if they would be improved upon with the release of the E-M6. His take on this was that the E-M5 was the optimal OM-D camera until something significant changes technically (24 MP, etc.) and that any reliability improvements would just be rolled into the production line on the fly under the same E-M5 model name. The only way to tell which edition you have will be by manufacturing date.

He did say he thought the next OM-D would be the slightly down featured E-M3 to replace the E-P3 when it goes out of production at the beginning of 2013.

• Like Like x 2
  8. neurad1

neurad1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Well I hope I get a new camera body rather than a repair, then.

9. gunky

gunky Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Hello... It's a CCD problem or a lcd bad connection. Most probably the ccd. It turns out that in the repair center if you have a problem like that the repari tecnician must change the ccd with the stabilizer included, the mainboard, and the circuit 3 axis stabilizer...ETA about 4, 5 hours of work

10. neurad1

neurad1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    If this is the case, why do the lines show up in my pictures (i.e. not only in the EVF and LCD)?

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Gunky said it was either CCD (sensor) or LCD. It must be the sensor unit when you see it in the LCD, EVF, and images. That feeds all three, Probably an internal connection in the sensor assembly, as silicon generally doesn't care which way it is held.

Get it fixed and good luck!

12. gunky

gunky Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    It's the ccd then...

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
  14. neurad1

neurad1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    I wonder just how common this defect is?

15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Phew! I was first informed to send it to Olympus Finland for repairs. I called them (Olympus repair) and asked how long would it take etc. and they said it would be sent to Czech for repairs and it would take ~3 weeks. I told them it's impossible in my situation. They made a call elsewhere and 5min later called me back and told me I could go to the camera store and change it to a new one!

So, I went to the camera store and told about our converation... They didn't believe me - as I expected - and told me they would call Olympus and confirm. I left the camera there and returned to work...

I just got an SMS from the camera store and there is a brand new E-M5 body waiting for me to pick it up.

Hallelujah! My vacation is saved! :biggrin:

ps. Everyone agreed that the sensor is broken. Luckily it broke BEFORE my 4 week trip to Australia. :2thumbs:

16. neurad1

neurad1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Sounds good. My camera is on the way to Olympus US right now. I hope I have as good a result as you did.