My OM-D is taking a trip in for repairs :(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dgorman47, Aug 27, 2012.

1. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    So today my OM-D developed a strange issue and it now needs to go in for a repair apparently:( I've probably close to or over 2000 shots with it since april and a couple weeks ago I noticed that it stopped recognizing my Oly 45mm1.8. Later in the day the 45mm 1.8 worked fine. I used it early today but when I got home I went to shoot something with the 45mm and all I got was a black screen with all of my info on the border. I popped on the 12-50 and the same thing happened:eek:. I then popped on my Panny 20mm 1.7........it worked fine :confused: So apparently the only lens that would work with it was the 20mm. I tried all the lenses on my old G1 and they worked just fine. Spent time on the phone with Olympus and humored them by cleaning the contacts etc. and then the guy just said " Well we haven't seen this one before." So off it goes and honestly I'd be super bummed.........except that just means I get to spend more time with my x100:biggrin:

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I was feeling all sympathetic until I got to the words "X100"...you poor guy. :wink:

Strange that the 20/1.7 is the only lens that works, given it appears to have the most interface issues with the E-M5.

Good luck with it. Please keep us in the loop on the repair.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seems like the problem I had when the lens was not fully seated so the latch was still pressed in a bit. Check for debris in the lens where the latch pin sits. Make sure the pin in falling into the seat.

4. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    As stated above the lenses seat fine on my G1 and the latch pin port is free of debris. Guess thats why Oly wants me to send it in.

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You're sending it in with one of the offending lenses? Otherwise, it could be returned as an NTF (no trouble found - telephone company jargon).

6. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    They did seem to think was lens. I don't think it either. The 45mm and the 12-50 both work on my G1 with no problems. Its really odd though that the 20mm 1.7 works. My nokton has no problem either.

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Are you holding down the lens release button when attaching lenses?

8. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Could you post the camera picture or other specification i.e body color, firmware version, etc? I'm gathering the data about broken OM-D. Thanks

9. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Won't your face be red when you just forgot to take the lens cap off.

Just kidding. Hope your OM-D returns in better health!

10. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    Oh those things aren't supposed to be on lens when I take a picture? ;) Wait I'm not supposed to to hold the button down when I install the lens?..........really?;)

11. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    My E-M5 is going to take a trip to the doc as well. It has a problem with the hot shoe, but only with the FL300 flash. The FL50R works just fine. Actually, the FL300R works as a slave flash without any problem. The problem is definitely with my camera: I took the opportunity of a trip to NYC to do some testing at BH Photo to confirm it.

I hope it returns in good shape, not to mention working properly.

12. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    Its a black body with firmware 1.2. Not the 1.3 that they pulled.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    No such thing as 1.3, 1.2 is the pulled firmware

14. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    Then 1.1 I suppose? I complete the first firmware they released then held off on the second one.

15. trinptx

trinptx Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2011
    Just received my OMD two weeks ago, less than 200 pics, and it started doing the same thing. Turned it on, and screen was black, has 12-50mm kit lens on. Took lens on and off, powering on and off, even the other two lenses I had with me, Oly Prime 12mm & 45mm, caused the black screen. Put 12-50mm back on, couple of power on and offs, then it started working again.
    Worked fine for 5 days, then today it did the same thing again. I've check contacts and lens release button. Any other ideas? Mine is a silver kit, came with firmware 1.2 installed.

16. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    Just got the camera back a couple of minutes ago. The repair slip says they: "Replaced lens mount contact frame unit, adjustment, firmware update, clean and check all." Seems to be working fine with all lenses now.

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Glad they got it sorted! Sorry for the downtime.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    I feel I might need to write them a letter for awesome service actually. That was freakin' quick turn around!

19. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    So which version firmware did they update it to?

20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Good to hear. Thanks for posting the follow up. Seems like a quick and comprehensive fix.