1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My OM-D E-M5 is an expensive brick...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcusmichaels, May 9, 2013.

1. marcusmichaels

marcusmichaels Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    I've just attempted an update to the latest firmware - followed all the steps, had a fully charged battery - everything was fine. Started the update, left it... then nothing.

Now it won't switch on. Has anyone had this problem? It's late and the customer care line is closed - I've emailed and not had a confirmation email back so not sure if that actually went though...

Please help!

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Afraid you're almost certainly stuck with support on this one.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Not guaranteed to help, but it might - remove the battery and leave at least 24 hours before replacing it.

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Which version of the updater, just out of curiosity? I think 1.03 is current and some old firmware/updater combinations were reputed to be trouble.

5. montag451

montag451 New to Mu-43

May 9, 2013
    New York
  6. marcusmichaels

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    I think it may have been the older version.

7. marcusmichaels

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    Thanks for this - I've managed to get the AF light to come on for a second or so - but the screen still doesn't work and nothing else it happening.

I'll keep this thread posted with what happens.

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Sorry to hear that.

It may be worth trying another alternative, download Olympus Viewer3 and connect the camera, it connects and automatically checks firmware version for you and allows you to update quickly and simply.

Good luck, too nice a camera to be a paperweight!

9. marcusmichaels

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    I've just got off the phone with their customer care - I have to send it in. I've also noticed that the issue affecting a certain number of OM-D E-M5 cameras with the cracked monitor bezel is also visible on my camera.

Today is not a good day for my camera.

10. marcusmichaels

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    Thanks for the tip - I'm downloading it now. Fingers crossed.

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Good luck with the download.

If you do have to send it back to have the screen replaced as part of recall, at least they should update the firmware at the same time and all at no cost to you.

12. marcusmichaels

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    Indeed. I've just sent it back - they've said it'll be done within 28 days. It's a month away from the end of it's warranty so if the firmware issue isn't covered, I'll push back with something like 'your software is broken'.

Should all be fine... hopefully!

13. peak4

peak4 Mu-43 Rookie

From my experience of Oly service, I'm sure you will be fine with your warranty.
    The camera only came out in April 1012 and Oly UK give a 2 year warranty; was yours a grey import?

Mine's got the screen bezel crack and black paint wearing through prematurely, but I'm holding out until towards the end of the 2 year warranty as they will give it a full check over whilst it's in for the bezel repair. Hopefully they'll have a spare tin of paint around too.

14. marcusmichaels

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    That's interesting - I bought mine from Selfridges in the UK store - I might have a word when it comes back about if I should have a two year warranty. Thanks for the info.

15. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Wow that is an OLD camera! :smile:

16. marcusmichaels

Jul 10, 2012
    London
    Marcus Michaels
    UPDATE:

Thought I'd come back and update everyone on the situation. Olympus fixed a crack below the screen and upgraded the firmware so all is well :)

17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Fantastic! Congratulations on a satisfactory resolution to your problem. How about the two-year warranty question? Olympus might be willing to sell you one since they just checked out the camera themselves.

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Good to hear it all worked out.

These are the kinds of situations where having a second body is absolutely wonderful. I hope you had one to make sure you didn't skip a beat with your shooting.

Just recently I sold off all of my m4/3 bodies but the E-M5... I didn't like having just the one body. Today, reinforcements arrived in the form of an E-PL5. :smile: As we say in the self defense field regarding firearms... "two is one and one is none." Having back ups for important items is very wise.

19. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    One of the - many - things the EU is good for: the 2 year guarantee is mandatory. Also helps explain (besides Value-Added Tax) why european prices are higher :)

20. keko

keko Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    Spain
    In my experience EU warranties are only useful if there's a competent service nearby... from what I gather the UK and Germany seem to do OK, the rest of the EC, may be a different story though, despite prices being about the same...