1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My OM-D arrived today! My first thoughts. :D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by memzinla, Dec 4, 2012.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow! It's so small. I've never seen the camera or the lens in person! When I opened the box I was surprised with the body AND the 12-50mm lens. The 12-50mm looks very long in pictures, but it's so small. :O I guess I'm used to the huge Canon lenses.

The first thing I looked at was the EVF. It's not as bad as I thought it would. I must say I was very nervous. I went to Best Buy and tried the Sony NEX 7 just to see how an EVF looked. I didn't like it because it showed a lot of moire. The EVF is not bad. :O

I've been playing around with the kit lens, and IBIS. IBIS is AMAZING. I've been playing around with different shutter speeds. I've been able to get a sharp picture with a one second shutter speed. :O That's so shocking to me.

Right now I'm waiting to sell my Canon T2i + Sigma 30mm, and Sony RX100 to fund my next lens. I'm not sure if I should keep the 12-50mm right now. I'm thinking I should keep it because it's weather sealed. It's one of the reasons I wanted the OM-D. I really want the Olympus 12mm F2. I love wide angle shots, and it would be amazing to use it during sunset or at night. I'm trying to convince myself not to buy it because it's expensive, and IBIS should help me with the sharp pictures at night. I do want the Panasonic Leica 25mm though. I hope it's just like the Sigma 30mm I used for my Canon.

I can't wait to play around with it when I'm out of the house.

Here are my babies. It's sad to let the Canon and RX100 go. :( I've been using the RX100 for big concerts where DSLRs aren't allowed. The last time I'll use will probably be this week at the No Doubt concert here in Los Angeles.

Here are some test shots from the "macro" feature of the kit lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have proper pics yet. These are just random pictures that I'm taking to get the hang of the camera. :D

• Like Like x 3
  2. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    Welcome to the club! :2thumbs:

I also sold my canon DSLR kit to fund my lens purchases. The compact size coupled with affordable fast primes is what I have found has really inspired me to go out and shoot more.

3. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you. :D

What Canon DSLR did you have? You know I've been using every random thing in the house with the OM-D. I don't think I did that with the Canon. :/ It's also so light. I still can't believe it. The only thing is that the buttons are small, but I think I'll get used to it.

What lenses did you end up buying?

4. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    I had a T1i, took a lot of great pictures over the past few years with it, though stopped carrying it around as regularly due to the size/weight.

As for lenses I got the Oly 9-18, 12, 45 and just sold the Pan 20 to fund the 25 (found the 20's size great though slower to focus).

I dove in head first, though part of the reason was to have a wide range for a 2 week trip around Europe. I have really enjoyed shooting with the primes and hardly ever use a zoom anymore. Next on my list is probably the Oly 75 and a telephoto since I do miss that focal length from when I had my Canon.

5. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah ok. :D I'm going to Mexico in two weeks for 10 days and would like the 25mm by then. :( I also want the 12mm, but it's so expensive. :(

You have a nice set of primes. :D I also thought about the 20mm, but the focus and banding issue were making doubt that lens purchase.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

12-50 macro lens setting better than specs

The 12-50 is better than you might think. The specs don't really tell the truth about how good the macro mode is, it is better, at half life size (check this thread here & my posting #2) & also, the detail is quite good at the wide end too (12mm). See this thread. https://www.mu-43.com/f42/omd-its-way-37403/

So, don't dismiss the 12-50 lens just yet. :wink:

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Your first two impressions: (a) it's small; and (b) holy cow IBIS--were exactly the same as mine. I suspect many people reacted the same way.

Have fun with it, but be patient too because there are a zillion things that can be customized, and in my experience it takes a while to find the tweaks that work for you.

8. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Welcome to the m43 world. The E-M5 isn't all things to all people but it packs a heck of a punch in a small package. IBIS, coupled with fast primes, and good performance at higher ISOs has allowed me to get hand held shots I would have thought impossible. I actually really like the EVF. Regardless of brand, we're really blessed with amazing photography technology. Now if my artistic eye could only match the quality of my tools.

9. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really want to play with the kit lens when there is sunlight. :D I've only had a chance to play with it at night.

Yes it has many settings, but it doesn't seem weird to me. The Olympus E-520 was similar. :D The buttons are so small, but the camera feels right on my hands.

It really is an amazing camera from what I've seen. :)

10. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    Have fun with it man! Probably the best M4/3 system on the market for the next couple of years :].

11. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Yep.

The little guy on my shoulder dressed in red says I need the Pany 12-35/2.8 but I'm yet to be convinced.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

He maybe right, but you shouldn't give in to the prods by his pitch fork. :wink:

It's a limited range & only you know how much you would use it (& that can be said for each of the primes too). :rolleyes: You would also need the 35-100 too? :wink:

13. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been playing around with the macro on the kit lens. I'm amazed. :O I think this lens is very versatile. It has a nice zoom range, weather sealed, and has macro. :O

I really want the PL25mm now.

Here are some of my test shots.

8248167625_5b5b4ee6f2_c.
    PC050038 by memo90061, on Flickr

8248168551_fa152aa29e_c.
    PC050047 by memo90061, on Flickr

8248170197_971bf386c4_c.
    PC050068 by memo90061, on Flickr

8249239942_8b2d92d6e9_c.
    PC050076 by memo90061, on Flickr

8248174805_037288ce13_c.
    PC050082 by memo90061, on Flickr
    0.3 second exposure. I'm so amazed by IBIS. :O

All of the pictures were taken at 200 ISO. I think I'll keep it at 200 iso for static images.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Omg! Are those meats under the prawns???

Btw nice pics :D

15. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes! hahah

Thank you. :D I'm going to take it to Mexico in two weeks. I hope those pictures come out good. :D

16. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    If you like the IBIS for stills you should try it for video. It can do things that literally no other camera in the world can do.

17. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oooh! I can't wait to try it with video. I saw a video on vimeo, and it looks so good. This camera is sooo good!

18. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Hopefully I'll be contributing some hands-on impressions by the middle of next week!

19. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Enjoy your camera mate. I love mine, and after spending 6 weeks with it everyday on my holiday I've grown attached to it. I've got a swag of primes and every time I load images onto my new Retina Macbook I'm literally blown away at the IQ.

The PL 25 is a freakin good lens. 3d pop I say!

20. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Congrats and great shots! The one with grass/drops is my favorite. I got mine yesterday but unfortunately did not have much time to play with it and take some good shots. Still digging through the options and menus. So many things that can be customized - love it!