1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My OM-D and 45mm f/1.8 does a studio photoshoot with studio lights and flashes :)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by daggah, Sep 14, 2013.

1. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    Took my OM-D out on a trip to Yokosuka today...took part in a studio group photoshoot for a photography club that's out here. There were some hangups with kind of poor quality backgrounds (lots of wrinkles and such) and for a lot of the shots, we were just passing around someone's Pocket Wizard trigger, so I wasn't in full control of the lights. However, I gotta say my OM-D handled this shoot like a freaking boss. No AF issues (thanks, contrast-detection AF!), and my Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens continues to impress me. I love this camera.

This shot is one where the light was under my control. Key light was pre-positioned, but fill light and rim light was mine...two SB-700s on Rogue Flashbender XLs in strip light configuration.

9741700312_3855b9a1d6_b.
    Joy #1 by davidgevert, on Flickr

A high-key shot:

9741694306_e796bfd274_b.
    Joy #4 by davidgevert, on Flickr

9739478993_cf2351baf3_b.
    Danielle #2 by davidgevert, on Flickr

Oh and one more shot, piggy-backing off of someone else's turn to shoot. No studio flash, just modeling lights, so I bumped my ISO to 1600 and shot my 45mm f/1.8 lens wide-open.

9741766804_6d6466caa3_b.
    Danielle #4 by davidgevert, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Nice work, but I'm not a fan of having the model (esp a female) turn her body towards the main light. It's more flattering to get her to turn it away from the main, keeping her face towards the main. Feather the main so you add some dimension to her facial features. Also, your shooting angle needs to be changed. Don't shoot up her nostrils - get yourself higher. Don't cutoff appendages (#4).

• Like Like x 1
  3. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    With respect, I don't think any of the angles were so dramatic that I was "shooting up her nostrils," and given that her hands aren't in focus on #4, I don't think it's a huge deal that my framing cut the finger off. I do normally try to avoid that though.

4. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Ok, no problem....to each his own.