1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My Olympus 17mm f/1.8 upper right corner is strange

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Savas K, May 14, 2013.

1. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    My copy when wide open is sharp everywhere except the upper right corner. If I expressly focus in the upper right corner, it's sharp. Strange. I'm considering exchanging it, but wonder if I'll get a dog in return, and then go longing for the original lens.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sounds like decentering and field curvature. I've tried three copies of the Olympus 17/1.8, and they all had this to one degree or another. Very common issue with lenses in general. All copied of the Panasonic 25/1.4 I have tried (about 5 or 6 of them) have had a bit of this issue as well. Wide open flat field testing is a tall order. Only you can decide if the results are acceptable, and yes it is very possible you'll get a worse copy if you exchange.

3. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks for the reality check, Amin. I'll call it a day.

Focusing on center in flat field, the upper right gets acceptable starting at 2.2 to 2.8. When wide open, few if any photos show anything worth seeing sharp in the upper quadrant as compared to lower, so there's pleasure in that. Sirens on the rocks arises from my owning a 12mm that is consistently good throughout. It caused me think that there's a hidden 17mm gem just around the corner. Your experience with three copies makes me reconsider the time, trouble and cost associated with an exchange; I can very well wind up worse off for the effort.