1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Oly 12mm arrived today!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ssgreenley, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    ...or so I thought. I thought the worst part was that it got here just after I was just getting home from a trip to Transylvania.

Then, I opened my box and, to my shock and surprise, the lens was black!

"Huh, I guess I must have missed the announcement of the black 12mm. This won't look as good on my white e-pl2. Let's have a closer look."

...and I figured it out. They'd put a black 14-42 Mk.IIR in my 12mm box (just underneath the manual for a 12mm)! That was not what I ordered! Fortunately Amazon says there shouldn't be a problem getting it exchanged (but due to how costly it is, they needed a manager's approval). I'm not sure what this says about Olympus quality control, however.

C'est la vie I suppose, but my weekend just got a bit less fun. :mad:

2. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Post a picture of the lens please. Black oly 12?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    No, it was just a mis-packaged kit lens. :( Sorry if it wasn't clear!

4. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's okay. I just got too excited.

Hubert

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Goodluck with the return.

I had bought hard drive many years ago when it was $250 for 5.2GB from Staples in the US. I opened the shrink wrapped packaging and there was 2.5lb barbell weight. So when i went to return it, they refused. I told them I am not leaving until I get a replacement or Im going to report it to the public. After an hour they accepted. Lesson learned? Always check inside the box when you buy in person. I still check to this day. In your case its not possible.

Apparently these big stores have their own shrink wrapping machines so one of the employees must have done this.

6. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Oh wow I'm sorry that happened! Please let other potential buyers know via a review on Amazon. I would be furious about that and would assume it to be an attempt of fraud.

7. LindaZ

LindaZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    FYI Amazon has wonderful return policy. One of the reasons I enjoy shopping from them. But if you got it from a third party on Amazon, I'm not sure.

8. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Was it possibly a return where someone played a switcheroo on them ?

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Hum, I don't think this has anything to do with quality control since the two lenses are manufactured at two different plants in two different countries.

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    it's a kill joy! hope you get your 12mm soon.

11. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    If you think about it, a black 12mm is not too bad. Good luck with the exchange!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Would have been nice to have a black 12mm. A lens as different and distinctive as your images.

Gary

13. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Huh, I hadn't thought about it, but I guess you're right. The mystery thickens.

Amazon says they'll exchange it, so we'll see what happens. I'll keep ya'll informed!

14. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    Been there, done that

I had a similar incident happen to me in the mid '70s when I ordered from B&H. I ordered an Olympus Zuiko OM 21mm f/3.5. When the package arrived, it contained a 28mm f/3.5 in its proper box. B&H had made the mistake, not Olympus.

My story doesn't end there. I contacted B&H but they were completely unhelpful. They said if I didn't want the package, I should not have accepted delivery. Since I had opened it, they claimed they had no way to confirm that I had not received the 21mm that was on the packing slip; the assumption on their part was that I was pulling a fast one. I explained that I could not have known what was in the box until I accepted delivery and opened it. That did not sway them. (Remember, this was 35+ years ago, and there was not the electronic tracking and inventory that there is now that could verify my claim).

In the end, I did not get my 21mm from B&H, although I paid for it. B&H refused to accept a return of the 28mm. I had to sell it for about 35% of what I paid for the 21mm. Needless to say, I have never done business with them again and I never will.

You are lucky that Amazon is willing to listen to you. I wish you the best of luck getting that 12mm. No, it will not be black. :wink: It is a great lens, though. I highly recommend the optional :mad: lens hood LH-48. It protects the lens nicely and gives it a very classic Leica-like look.