1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My OLY 12-40 Lens Hood just broke!! A good replacement?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Akashi, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Man I am getting tired of the olympus build quality (or lack of). First my rubber cover on the battery grip fell off and got lost. Then the eyecup went the same way, and my hotshote plastic got lost and now the lens hood of the 12-40 just broke in my hand. One of the clips failed so the cover only clips in place when screwed on backwards. The prices for Oly replacement parts are ridiculous so now I am looking for a good cheap replacement hood. I only found screw-ons (e.g. Hama), but would prefer hoods that clips into place.

2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    do you turn green and burst through your clothes when angry? :biggrin:

im surprised there arent chinese clones of the same design as OEM

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Quite honestly, the 12-40 lens hood is a waste of time. I finally quit carrying mine because it doesn't do anything. It's only useful as a bumper. Because it only shades 12mm effectively. I don't have any problems with lens flare that a carefully placed hand can do on those very infrequent occasions the sun presents an issue. Try shooting without the hood for a couple of weeks and see what your results are.
    My hot shoe cover kept slipping off, so I did the same thing as when I shot with 35mm film cameras - I took it off and stored it with no ill effects.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    turn it upside down and mount it, only one clip actually holds it onto the lens anyway... you don't need both.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    This upside down mount also works great if your hood keeps coming off when you pull it out of your camera bag. Only one side button locks the hood to the lens. When looking down on the camera from the shooters position it's on the left side of the lens bayonet mount.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I am certainly starting to with all this crappy gear, a shame...Looking at the OM-D1 now just so I can have a camera d´that don´t break :(

7. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway

Not sure what you mean by upside down, going to give it a try though (as long as you dont mean backwards right?)

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I meant rotate it 180 degrees, as above only one clip works (the left one).

• Like Like x 1
  9. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    The rubber grip on my EM-1 came loose after about 10 months... Just saying. :biggrin:

Lovely camera though.

10. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Gosh :(

11. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I finally gave up trying to keep that stinking piece of plastic on my 12-40!!!! I ordered a screw on RUBBER hood. It folds back on itself for storage and it you should bump into something, it absorbs the impact. I work lots of special events with people dancing and kids running. A rubber hood is a must.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I guess that is as good solution as any. Sad though that a lens at that price does´t come with a better hood. Have you looked at the price for a new one, I can´t justify buying that !