my (old) new E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mesmerized, Jul 5, 2012.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012

My first E-PL1 was stolen, now I've just been delivered my new E-PL1 with MKII kit lens. I have some questions.

The first one... I've noticed that the lens is constructed in slightly different way. What's the difference between 37mm (MKII) and 40mm (MKI) The number is on the lens.

And... the lens sticks out a bit more... I mean... the "last" ring. I'm not sure how to express myself here.
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Good for you to have finally gotten a new camera to use. The 37mm and 40mm indicated at the front of the lens is just the filter thread diameter. The main difference between the 2 lenses, I believe is that the MkII is MSC (Movie/Still Compatible) motor-driven while the original was not. MSC lenses are supposed to focus more silently, and faster, but whether that's the case when coupled with the E-PL1, I don't know, since I haven't tried it.

BTW, just curious, what happened to the GX1 deal? Was it not a real deal?
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The MkII is slightly longer than the MkI when collapsed but smaller in diameter. When extended I think the MkII might be slightly shorter, but I sold my MkI version with my E-P1 a few months ago so I can't compare them directly anymore.
  4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The MKII has the bayonet mount allowing the attachment of the MCON converters (which will not attach to the first version).
  5. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I have used the E PL1 with both kit lenses and the MkII focuses faster. I also prefer the size of the E PL1 from the handling point of view.