My Oh-em-dee camera story. I can't believe whats transpired.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Iconindustries, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My Oh-em-dee camera story. I can't believe whats transpired. (strap update)

Well I can't believe I did it. I never thought I'd buy anything oly, they just didn't do anything for me... until recently that is. First came the 45mm and now the OM-D. I was tossing up about acquiring a nikon D3 but the more I thought about the weight of the beast and a few other variables, it led me to consider the EM5. My main concern about the OM-D was the reports about the convoluted menus and for quite some time I deliberated about this. It didn't help when I went into the local electronics super store and they had the camera on display and plenty in stock. When i say 'it didn't help' I mean it didn't help my acute desire to own one as it sat pertly on the shelf. It had 'buy me' all written over it. I pulled out my plastic card and the money did its magic. I didn't feel a thing except for my high ego as I walked out of the shop proudly carrying the box in a manner that certainly didn't look like I was trying to hide it.
    I don't know why I worried about the menus so much. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm young or I'm used to electronic gadgets, but I had it all sorted out in about an hour. The EVF is a treat and the ibis is superb. It literally blew me away, to the extent that last night I was just taking pictures around the house in the dark just to entertain myself chimping at sharp pictures. It's a new thing for me to take sharp pictures in the dark:)

The only thing I hate about the camera is the strap! My goodness, what was oly thinking. I'm in the process of modifying the strap which I hope will make it more comfortable than a big heart shaped ring poking into my hand.

It's a great camera, it has its quirks, but that's what gives it character and character is what gives it a place in my life.

Yesterday I went out to give it a whirl. What do you reckon, can I make it produce produce images worthy to post in this forum?

<a href="" title="P7160310-3 by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 7385446936_541a13902f_c. "600" height="800" alt="P7160310-3"></a>

<a href="" title="P7160299-2 by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 7385456052_71b5edf6a5_c. "800" height="600" alt="P7160299-2"></a>
    • Like Like x 31
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Enjoy your new tool Brady :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol..I am responsible for dragging you to the Oly camp with 45 mm 1.8 and now OMD..congrats on your new toy.So what are you planning to do with your Panasonic GX1?Its a great little camera too .Anyway you owe me a prize for guessing the age of that girl the other day . I think I should ask for OMD now
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Yay Icon, you're already doing great things!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Worth it for this image alone. Lovely. Bokeh discs are great, and what a smile!

I....AM....TRYING......TO ......RESIST.....THIS ........CAMERA!

But it's not working very well! I'll be in Singapore in a week, and the stores there are loaded with them, they will also be in the airport on arrival and departure!

• Like Like x 2
  6. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010

Please introduce me to one of your daughters :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    re: the any cameras have a good strap in the box? (asking seriously)

So many terrific straps on the market...I honestly didn't even take the one that came with my em5 out of the plastic!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Congratulations Brady - its a great camera, you're already putting it to good use, and I know they'll be lots more great stuff to come.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Brady... You hit the ground running... wonderful images - but you didn't need the e-m5 to do these images.... its the photographer, not the gear. But the camera is a goodie. Enjoy your image making.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Congrats Brady. As to the strap, I tossed a Rapid Sport strap on my OM-D w/grip. I found it works well and keeps the normal neck strap and associated hardware out of the way.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Iconindustries

Yep you're the culprit alright.:smile: I'm not sure what to do with the GX1 yet, it might be a good idea to keep the 14 or 20 on it and just have it handy.

Thanks Don, I appreciate it mate.

Haha, I'll let you know when I have my first!

I'll give my modified one a go and see if I like that. If I don't I'll be asking to see what other users have.

Don you just made my day. Coming from a brilliant photog like you. Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Thanks Gary, when I see you later in the year we can swap stories. I can't wait.:smile:
  13. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    My old OMs had superb straps. I still use one from about 1984 on my EP2, and prior to that on a heavy Canon kit. The length adjusts really short or long, has swivel connectors on both ends, the strap is wide, very sturdy cloth. I can unclip one side, wrap it a few times around my wrist at re-clip it to either side of the camera.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

I cannot see the first image (probably due to me being at work), but that second image is stunning. Love it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Taylor

Taylor New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2011
    Cecil Plains Australia
    Really Good Pics there Brady,

Makes me want a OMD.... but I will have to wait, the GF2 will have to do for now.
    Taylor :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    A good camera won't make a poor photographer good or a good photographer better. What it can do is extend the options for photography and help make it more enjoyable. Brady could certainly have got these excellent pictures with his old camera but it's plain that he is enjoying using the new one so it's money well spent! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Iconindustries

I like this idea mate, especially the bit where you wrap it around your wrist. I imagine that would make it easy to take photos single handedly without worrying about dropping the camera.

Hey Berni! I'm stoked you like the picture, It makes me smile just looking at it.

Thankyou little brother! When I wear it out I'll sell it to you like everything else.:smile:

Wise words here John. Thanks for the compliment as well.

I think I'm really starting to know enough now that it's just enjoyable for others to look at my photos. It's taken awhile.:smile:
  18. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    lovely photos - what lens did you use?
  19. Iconindustries

The super awesome Olympus 45mm. Both were wide open at f1.8
  20. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Did not know about these. Have since done some searching. Look really good. Thanks for clueing me in.