My not so perfect solution: "filters on Panasonic 7-14"

RenaudVL

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello every one,

I sold my Oly 9-18mm and got a used Pana 7-14mm.
I did know that this lens was not filter friendly but went for it any way.

At the same time I decided to go from Pana 12-35mm to Oly 12-40mm.
Got a few 62mm filters for the Oly and while fiddling around with the filters and my lens, I realized the the 62mm fit inside the Pana lens hood.

I noticed that if I insert the filter in the hood and bring it as close as possible of the rounded part of the glass I didn't get any vignetting from 9mm to 14mm.
Which gave me the same FOV of my Oly9-18mm at the wide end.

Did some measurement and figured I needed a 8,4mm spacer to insert my filter in the hood without touching the glass.

I had some old 62mm colored Vivitar filter from my B/W film days and a bunch of step rings.
I ended up grounding the thread from a 58mm to 62mm step ring and adding it the the filter older (I removed the filter from it) and voila a 8.4mm space was borne...

Inserting the filter and spaces is a bit delicate, their is a bit of friction inside the hood, which is good in a sens, there is less chance that the filter would fall out...

You got to make sure not to push your lens past 9mm because the lens mechanism would then be force to push out the filter which would put some strain on the lens...

All and all I am pretty happy with my thingamajig...

_6011448_zps56422254.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_6011449_zps9845cb7b.jpg

_6011450_zps56738cf5.jpg

Kids, don't try this at home...

RenaudVL

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There you go... from 7mm, 8mm and 9mm

_6060039_zps1332a3ee.jpg

_6060040_zps60748bcc.jpg

_6060041_zps17729a77.jpg

letsgofishing

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Kaplan
Many thanks RenaudVL!
8mm is also usable with just a little cropping... or cloning...
Have you experience the "purple blob" issue with this lens on your EM1?

RenaudVL

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, it was a good buy, was glad to get it...

I went for the 12-40 for the extra reach, the look and I wanted a new toy... ;o)

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
I just wait the Olympus 7-14 to come in next year as don't want to fiddle with rear filters or twist my gray matter with Panasonic direction of zoom.

It was interesting to see this mod as I wondered it myself too. But 8-9mm range being barely usable without cropping is no go for me.

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
cool mod. Wonder if you could have added a "larger" filter and pop it over the hood instead of "inserting" it.
While the hopefully newly released Oly 7-14 might not accept filters either I certainly hope it solves the purple blop problem.... plus for interior shots such as churches the f/2.8 is helpful vs f/4

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fingers crossed that it will have the option of accepting gel filters at the rear of the lens. We can always hope.

Those gelatin filters are real PITA to change in outdoors and such, so I'm already prepping myself to mod my Pany 7-14 and call it a day.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Those gelatin filters are real PITA to change in outdoors and such, so I'm already prepping myself to mod my Pany 7-14 and call it a day.
Yea I see your point but the only other option would be a filter slot at the rear section of the lens but I don't know enough about optical engineering/design to know if that would work in an ultra-wide zoom. I would rather Olympus or Panasonic build the gel filter slot during construction because I do know my ham fists and twisted fingers would ruin any precision instrument!:eek:

Latest threads

Top Bottom