1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My Next "Walkabout" camera

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Graham_of_Rainham, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi All,

For my first post here, I'd like to know if anyone has put the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 Lens onto an Olympus PEN body. If so what results & opinions do you have.

The reason for asking is that my first Olympus was the 35-RD, which had a 40mm f/1.7 lens and it served me so well for many years (still have one). I like the simplicity of a fixed lens and the 40mm suited my style and needs.

I'm seriously considering this as a replacement for my existing "always with me" camera and recapturing my old way of working...

Thanks

Graham

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Graham_of_Rainham, and the answer you seek is a resounding "Yes!" Take a closer look at the forums... I am one of the many E-P owners who chose the 20mm 1.7 lens for similar reasons you're thinking about it.

So glad you found your way to mu-43.com!

P.S. I also wanted to compliment you on your screen name. I like it very much!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Take a look in the Native lenses forum...and specifically at this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=356 for starters.

I'm sure others will respond here and you can certainly ask more questions here or in the other existing threads, too.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Graham,

As BBW said, check outv the forum posts and you will find many references and quite a few images taken with EP1/2 using 20mm f1.7 - the lens is a small fast and superb performer and seems to have well and truely pushed the Oly 17mm into the shadows.

Welcome to the Site though - place to be!

• Like Like x 1
  5. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Welcome Graham of Rainham.......
    Phil of Romford here lol.

I have an EP2 and panny 1.7, the lens lives on the Pen making a high quality compact bit of kit, if you want a play I am not far away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Graham

just a note - you probably know - but if you are buying the body plus the "kit" lens is not much more money than the body

so if you are buying an Oly, buy it will a Oly lens - then sell the lens on, (unless you want to keep it), and buy the 20mm

The street price for the 20mm seems to be under £300, (maybe £270), if you shop around

Welcome

• Like Like x 1
  7. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Yes good advice, that's what I did, the price of the EP2 without kit lens is only about £40 ish IIR.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi Phil,

That's a fantastic offer. If you ever find yourself lost for something to do, and fancy lunch (my treat) at the RSPB site on Rainham Marsh, send me a PM or e-mail and I meet you there. Remembering of course that while the kit maybe weather sealed, I'm not :biggrin:

Cheers

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Graham, great to see you found your way here! :friends:

I'd recommend the 14-42 kit, and add the 20mm f1.7... The Pen works great with legacy lenses too (can't believe how sharp the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 performs)

Hope to see you again soon :smile:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  10. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is definitely a great walk-around lens. I have the GF1 20mm kit, but I'm sure it'll perform just as well on an Olympus body. I wish I had it during the Mardi Gras parade this past weekend, but the E-30 and 25mm pancake did just fine for that. I personally like Olympus jpegs over Panasonic's, but that's just a personal preference from shooting with the E-system since the E-500. I agree with all the others that say buy the kit rather than the body alone. You might be able to save even more money by waiting for the E-PL1's release.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    Thank you all so much for the replys and the warm welcome, it really is appreciated.

Certianly confirmed my thoughts and with the E-PL1 being "simplified", this is very much the way I want to go for "grab" shot capabilities.

Cheers

Graham

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.