My Next "Walkabout" camera

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Graham_of_Rainham, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Graham_of_Rainham

Graham_of_Rainham Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi All,

For my first post here, I'd like to know if anyone has put the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 Lens onto an Olympus PEN body. If so what results & opinions do you have.

The reason for asking is that my first Olympus was the 35-RD, which had a 40mm f/1.7 lens and it served me so well for many years (still have one). I like the simplicity of a fixed lens and the 40mm suited my style and needs.

I'm seriously considering this as a replacement for my existing "always with me" camera and recapturing my old way of working...

Thanks

Graham

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Graham_of_Rainham, and the answer you seek is a resounding "Yes!" Take a closer look at the forums... I am one of the many E-P owners who chose the 20mm 1.7 lens for similar reasons you're thinking about it.

So glad you found your way to mu-43.com!

P.S. I also wanted to compliment you on your screen name. I like it very much!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Take a look in the Native lenses forum...and specifically at this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=356 for starters.

I'm sure others will respond here and you can certainly ask more questions here or in the other existing threads, too.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Graham,

As BBW said, check outv the forum posts and you will find many references and quite a few images taken with EP1/2 using 20mm f1.7 - the lens is a small fast and superb performer and seems to have well and truely pushed the Oly 17mm into the shadows.

Welcome to the Site though - place to be!

• Like Like x 1
  5. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Welcome Graham of Rainham.......
    Phil of Romford here lol.

I have an EP2 and panny 1.7, the lens lives on the Pen making a high quality compact bit of kit, if you want a play I am not far away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Graham

just a note - you probably know - but if you are buying the body plus the "kit" lens is not much more money than the body

so if you are buying an Oly, buy it will a Oly lens - then sell the lens on, (unless you want to keep it), and buy the 20mm

The street price for the 20mm seems to be under £300, (maybe £270), if you shop around

Welcome

• Like Like x 1
  7. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Yes good advice, that's what I did, the price of the EP2 without kit lens is only about £40 ish IIR.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    Hi Phil,

That's a fantastic offer. If you ever find yourself lost for something to do, and fancy lunch (my treat) at the RSPB site on Rainham Marsh, send me a PM or e-mail and I meet you there. Remembering of course that while the kit maybe weather sealed, I'm not :biggrin:

Cheers

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Graham, great to see you found your way here! :friends:

I'd recommend the 14-42 kit, and add the 20mm f1.7... The Pen works great with legacy lenses too (can't believe how sharp the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 performs)

Hope to see you again soon :smile:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  10. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is definitely a great walk-around lens. I have the GF1 20mm kit, but I'm sure it'll perform just as well on an Olympus body. I wish I had it during the Mardi Gras parade this past weekend, but the E-30 and 25mm pancake did just fine for that. I personally like Olympus jpegs over Panasonic's, but that's just a personal preference from shooting with the E-system since the E-500. I agree with all the others that say buy the kit rather than the body alone. You might be able to save even more money by waiting for the E-PL1's release.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Graham_of_Rainham

Feb 16, 2010
    Thank you all so much for the replys and the warm welcome, it really is appreciated.

Certianly confirmed my thoughts and with the E-PL1 being "simplified", this is very much the way I want to go for "grab" shot capabilities.

Cheers

Graham