1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My next IDS Video

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by tbyork2012, Sep 2, 2014.

1. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Nice Boon,
    Got that bright green!

3. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Thanks, John. It was shot using the in-camera custom white balance, which was done using sintered PTFE as white balance reference. Hence I did not need to adjust this when making the clip in iMovie.
    Boon

4. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Yes,

That worksgreat on my G3 for UV-video also.

I created an account on Vimeo and uploaded my UV-video of a pair of American Goldfinches on one of my Dad's homemade bird feeders.
    The WB seems OK and clearly shows rather striking false UV-yellow especially on the male. The video quality on Vimeo is less than my native file presumably due to how they compress.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Interesting. But how do they differ when seen in visible light?
    Boon

6. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Thanks Boon,

Actually, much like flowers that are yellow in visible and also false UV-yellow, these birds have a roughly similar appearance in the visible. I did not collect sufficiently detailed images to be able to discern any Vis/UV differential patterns.

Here is a link to a drawing of how they look which varies with season. Unfortunately the drawing has an error, the right uppermost is a male in winter plumage not a female.

7. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Very cool but looking at your site, I am not sure how you are doing this? Do you have a full spectrum camera with special filters, or is it post processing? Or both?

8. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    This video was shot with a full-spectrum Olympus EM-5 with my custom-made Insect-D-sight (UV+ blue and green) filter. I used in-camera custom white balance done for this filter to shoot the video. The only post-processing was trimming of clips and adding of titles and music in iMovie.
    Boom

• Like Like x 1
  9. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Very impressive! :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.