1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My next IDS Video

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by tbyork2012, Sep 2, 2014.

1. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Nice Boon,
    Got that bright green!

3. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Thanks, John. It was shot using the in-camera custom white balance, which was done using sintered PTFE as white balance reference. Hence I did not need to adjust this when making the clip in iMovie.
    Boon

4. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Yes,

That worksgreat on my G3 for UV-video also.

I created an account on Vimeo and uploaded my UV-video of a pair of American Goldfinches on one of my Dad's homemade bird feeders.
    The WB seems OK and clearly shows rather striking false UV-yellow especially on the male. The video quality on Vimeo is less than my native file presumably due to how they compress.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Interesting. But how do they differ when seen in visible light?
    Boon

6. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    Thanks Boon,

Actually, much like flowers that are yellow in visible and also false UV-yellow, these birds have a roughly similar appearance in the visible. I did not collect sufficiently detailed images to be able to discern any Vis/UV differential patterns.

Here is a link to a drawing of how they look which varies with season. Unfortunately the drawing has an error, the right uppermost is a male in winter plumage not a female.

7. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Very cool but looking at your site, I am not sure how you are doing this? Do you have a full spectrum camera with special filters, or is it post processing? Or both?

8. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    This video was shot with a full-spectrum Olympus EM-5 with my custom-made Insect-D-sight (UV+ blue and green) filter. I used in-camera custom white balance done for this filter to shoot the video. The only post-processing was trimming of clips and adding of titles and music in iMovie.
    Boom

• Like Like x 1
  9. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Very impressive! :)