My Newly Acquired CZJ Tessar 2.8/50

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SCT, Oct 23, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any good or bad things to say about this lense? I got it off ebay for $70, $80 with shipping. I believe this lense is from the mid-1950's. What's amazing is that it has 14 aperature blades!

I'm waiting for the adapter to come in the mail. Everything is clean on it. However, there's a tiny black dot about the size of the very tip of a ballpoint pen that is on one of the lens inside just about near the outer circumference.

2. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Are you sure that dot is not a bubble?

3. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Sometimes the black paint used to reduce reflections comes off- will have no affect on the images.

Nice lens, I converted one of these to Leica mount- RF coupled using an Industar-61 focus mount. Was quite nice.

4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    When I read this, I was like a bubble, in the glass? I was gonna say no... but I'm looking at the lense carefully right now. And sure enough, it is a bubble in the glass! And another one near it. Just imagine the earth and the moon, the earth is the size of the ballpoint pen tip.

5. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    It's not unheard of to find a bubble or two in Zeiss, Leitz, Schneider and others. I have a few lenses with bubbles and they're among my favorites. I've never noticed any affect on the image corresponding to a bubble. I consider them 'lucky', an indication of quality glass.

6. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    So I got my EXAKTA-m43 adapter today. Doesn't fit quite right. After looking closely, it looks like the lens had a pretty busy life. The three tabs that would slide into the slots is a bit bent so it really can't slide lock in. Looks tough to bend the tabs back but I'm gonna try with some locking plier that can fit. If that doesn't work, I'll take a rotary air cutter and grind it a bit.

7. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    For the sake of the lens mount, you might want to just gently use the pliers. If you then need to grind any surfaces you can do that work on the adapter plate. The plate unscrews and lifts off, so you'll probably have better access for any grinding. Best of luck.

8. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I tried pliers onto the mount on the lens but it's very difficult to grab hold and bend back to its original state. Not enough surface area to lock onto, also. Working on something like this is a stroll in the park for me. The adapter itself, eh, poor workmanship is all I can say.