1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My New to me E-PL1 is here!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by edwardconde, Nov 12, 2012.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi All,

I got my refurb E-PL1 on Saturday. No lenses yet! Still waiting on the Kit lens I bought from a forum member and my Pentax - m4/3 adapter I ordered on ebay. I am really excited about getting started on the MFT system. I checked the shutter count on the camera and I am at 667...

Any tips fellow E-PL1 users can share about settings and do's & don'ts? I am also a Pentax K-5 owner so I familiar with the most of the common settings.

Thanks and looking forward of being part of the m43 community!

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Turn on the Super Control Panel, turn off Auto Gradation, and set it up to use Spot Metering and Back Button Focusing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    MK waves at Edward whom she recognizes from TPF. Heya! I'm pretty much in the same place. Mine isn't here yet though. Monday it looks like. I got my adapters from Amazon. I've got Pentax M42 and Yashica ones so far. I may get the PK one too if using the M42 adapter with it turns out to be unwieldy, but I want to see first since I have the official Pentax one. I really think this is going to be fun though using my lovely Taks/Viv's on the Pen. What are you going to use on yours?

:)

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If he's brand new to Olympus, better give him better directions on how to find & activate it! :smile:

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

667?

Better than 666 ... that's hardly any. You got years to go on that one.

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks!

7. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    i found it! thanks!Super Control

8. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah... ha:biggrin:

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love my E-PL1{&2}. The only thing I found that I don't like is the lack of an AF assist light, this make it hard in low light situations.

However, I have mostly used my legacy Nikkors and Pentax 110 lenses. Legacy lenses are super easy to use on the Olympus bodies. Mount them and switch to aperture priority or full manual. That is it! No going into the menu to tell it there is "no lens" like you have to on a Panasonic. The exposure meter has always worked great for me.

If you want to use the image stabilizer with a legacy lens you have to go into the menu and set the focal length. I generally just turn it off for legacy lenses unless they are long teles.

Enjoy!

10. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well I bought it for those times that I don't want to carry my K-5 and all my limiteds with me when we go on family trips. When I want something smaller and lighter. I got a 14 - 42 on the way that I bought on the forum so that will be my only native lens for now. On the Pentax glass, I just want to be able to use my current line of lenses on the E-PL1 and not be restricted to the kit lens.

Its going to be fun to learn this system.

Thanks!

11. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks... Great to know. I have been looking at more legacy glass. Right now I have 2 older lenses a Pentax M50 f1.7 and a Consul 135mm f2.8. Those are M lenses. Then the rest of my lineup are newer AF lenses that I use on my K-5.
    I have been window shopping on ebay at all the available glass that I can use. I am curious about using C-Mount lenses and also the old Pentax 110 glass. Do you have any samples of what you shot with the 110 glass? I wouldn't mind buying some smaller glass. Just to keep the package small.

Thx

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    e-pL1 likes Sharpness minus 1 for Jpegs, otherwise it can be a bit harsh.
    Repeat advice : turn off liveguide (if it has it), turn ON Super Control Panel for each mode, set Gradation : Normal (= off)

13. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

C-mount lenses are not really the best because they are all designed for smaller sensors. Some give interesting effects but not for general use. Also c-mount lenses will vignette especially at the wider end. As a general rule they will vignette badly at anything below 25mm and vignette a little from 25-50mm.

I will try to get some P110 lens samples posted up soon. They are small and light weight but you are forced to shoot at f2.8{no built in aperture}. The 24mm is tiny! which makes it hard to use. The 50mm is very nice and the 18mm is pretty good. They vignette a tiny bit but not bad. Since there is no iris the bokeh is fairly nice.

My favorite smaller and lighter but still very capable lenses are my old Nikon E series lenses. The 50mm is a pancake and with the adaptor fitted is about the same size as my Nikkor 50mm f1.4{but a tiny bit lighter}.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yet another Pentax owner discovering the joys of mu43. (There seems to be a lot of them on this forum.) Since you're new to mu43, I'll direct you toward a very cheap Olympus "lens" that will make that E-PL1 a very small package:
    Olympus 15mm f/8.0 Body Cap Lens V325010BW000 B&H Photo Video

There are some threads on this forum with shots.

16. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    $50 that's it? Bookmarked!!!! Thanks! I guess I really do need to order the Nikon and Minolta adapters soon too. I've got 2 of those Nikon 50's and I'll definitely want to try one on my Pen.

17. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah.. i have been looking at them for a bit. I was also looking at the Q to stay within the Pentax family but I couldn't pass up the price of the E-PL1. I have seen that lens and for $50 its on my list. I first just want to make sure this move is right for me before I start investing $$$ into a 2nd system.

Thanks!

18. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am still waiting on my PK-m43 adapter. I think the postal service lost the package. :mad: It was marked delivered but no package. Went to the PO today to have them find it. See what happens...

19. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    So i got my kit lens today... IIr version. Question about the E-PL1, is the shutter suppose to be loud? Just playing around with it now.. going to put up some test shots.