my new samsung tl 500

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by cosinaphile, Jun 25, 2010.

1. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    [​IMG]

i use my ep1 and gf 1 for most needs but sometimes i want a fast zoom
    in an even smaller pkg , for those times ive usually turned to my ricoh gx 200
    24-72 equiv f 2.5- 4.4 , a great machine at iso 64 , intelligent menus , pro features , but poor iq at iso 400

my new tl 500 24-72[equiv] 1.8-2.4 psam, raw, pinhole diorama and fisheye filter
    10 mp, plenty of front and rear input dials, flash, amoled swivel screen iso 80 -3200
    iso 3200 looks better than i expected

iso 800 on the samsung feels like iso 200ish on the ricoh

its smaller than the ep1 about the size of lx3 panny

used the lovely narrow pale gray leather strap off my bricked contax g1..... its perfect

got it at adorama wed, having fun

• Like Like x 10
  2. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

Congratulations. That's one of the most interesting cameras out there just now. Please keep posting your impressions.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Paul, ya mind posting some high iso stuff and your feeling about handling. I need a camera for the wife..... This looks good...
    Much appreciated... Don

• Like Like x 4
  4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Seen one in real life not long ago. Instant serious case of camera envy. I'd love to see some pictures from it. Would it best my lx2 ?

5. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mauve,
    I here tell that it would do better than the LX3.
    I hate that joystick.......
    Waiting on cosina to post his magic.....

• Like Like x 2
  6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I liked the joystick on my Lx2. Very intuitive, very powerful. I wouldn't mind in the least if the e-p1 thumbwheel would have been swapped out in favour of that joystick.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Mauve

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mauve,
    Ya know how to hit it.....
    That wheel is a constant pain for me....
    After almost a year, I still get changes in EV...WB...ISO...
    Luckily there's vodka and lightroom.

The samsung looks like a very intuitive machine...

8. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    imho ,image quality is very good for a compact camera , on my
    ricoh gx 200great at iso 64 ,at iso 200 shows image degradation and noise , at 400 the ricoh has too much noise and subpar iq for my taste, i still love my ricohs but i must be honest the samsung tl500 high iso is a whole new game .

the samsung tl 500 has good iq at 400 and seems useable at 800 too.
    even iso 3200 would yield very useable results if not printing above 4x6
    i will print later to see if this is my imagination.
    it shoots good jpegs at super fine and fine [ cant see a difference] , shoots raw iso range is 80-3200 iso 80 -200 is stellar
    400 is beyond anything ive seen from a compact
    even 3200 though degraded seems free any banding or insane levels of noise .

the menus are clear and for the most part sensible... getting to manual focus requires a a button push or 2 more than seems necessary , but once your in, it works well .

it has 2 input dials like the ep1\2 which are great in manual exposure mode , the front dial allowing 16 secs to 1 \1500 sec to be dialed in... the rear dial [ like the lower dial on the pen] changes f stop allowing 1.8- 6.7 at "24mm" and 2.4 -6.9 at "72mm" the higest f stops seems 7.2 somewhere in the middle.... strangely this seems the smallest f stop i can use . [for comparison the ricoh in M mode allows f 9.2 at "24mm" and f15.6 at "72mm"]

iso and ev adjustment, shutter speed, and aperture commendably are at you fingertips and all other functions are easy and quick to get to.i love this

like you would expect of a pro calibre point and shoot, it shoots raw , psam
    has 4 af modes plus manual,called, center, multi, selection af, and tracking af

"photo styles" .... you will find NOR[normal]...SK [a monochrome 'drawing"effect]..FO[ called distinct?]...S[soft]..V [vivid]..F[ forest]
    there is CO [ "cool" ,not carbon monoxide] there is a CA, "calm" , not calf]
    but strangely CL is not 'collected" , instead it is "classic" which in
    samsungspeak means B & W mode ................. further there is a neg[color reversal] and a custom rgb with 3 user definable scales....whew!

ther are also filters , normal, vignette, miniature, and fisheye [ [ fisheye distortion at "24mm" without the benefit of 180 degree fov] , said to give video that quirky look says samsung

the 600,000 dot lcd looks great , blacks are true and color and contrast is above avg , outdoors in direct sunlight is just visible , but better than the pen and lightyears ahead of the gf 1....i love it . the amoled is articulated as well which is kind of cool yet the cameras ia still pretty slim

the thing i really was impressed by is the dual shot dynamic expansion mode
    see the 2 shots for comparison, i thought this well done in the tl 500

i love the many inputs on this camera, 2 top dials , one for single shot\ multishot\bracket, and 2 &10 sec timers. the other dial , the usual psam dial...nice
    on the back a spin dial like the canon s 90 but not so loose with typical 4 way press function , six back buttons and a great thumb dial on the front
    ...great imo. flash is small and weak but exposes well and repeatably. wiith all the input options it feels very well laid out and not crowded at all.

it feels great in the hand and the build quality is above avg it seems made mostly of metal it has a real textured grip and feels like a real camera
    looks wise i think its one of the best looking machines to come out since the 3 pens and the gf1 .

video might be a letdown for many; 640x480 at 15 or 30 fps , me, i dont care
    but the battery life is not outstanding to me , its ok, dont get me wrong
    i shot for 4 hours with lots of review came home and 15 minutes later the battery died. the battery charges in camera wth a AC to usb converter to hdmi? thingy not as horrible as it sounds,...external charger is an option, when on for an extended time the grip gets warm.
    the quality of the images dont equal micro four thirds ...no surprise. it is, after all, a point and shoot , but one i think an advanced shooter will feel at home with.

overall im pleased with the machine , its not perfect , and as spell of the new camera smell wears off im sure i will see some thing that dont thrill me , but for now im a happy camper.

edit...something i didnt go into above but should have is the schneider-kreuznach
    varioplan zoom 5.2mm-15.6mm f1.8- 2.4 at 72 equiv its maybe 1\2 a stop faster than
    most other cameras and more than a stop faster than my gx-200 [5.1-15.3mm f2.5-4.4]

the lens is very sharp and colors look good, i am impressed with this lens which is very good even at 1.8
    its the fastest point n shoot at this point , i think

images to follow... full sized images are in the gallery for consideration

iso 80
    [​IMG]

iso200
    [​IMG]

iso400
    [​IMG]

iso800
    [​IMG]

iso1600
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    cosinaphile,

Good stuff. It looks like Samsung has a winner. Something to compete with Panny's LX3. I saw the review over at Luminous Landscape, and the camera looked promising. The JPEG quality looked much better than anything Samsung had previously.

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks very much for the post Paul.
    My wife needs one...this looks promising..I love the boxey mechanical look...
    don

• Like Like x 2
  11. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    something i didnt go into much above but should have is the schneider-kreuznach
    varioplan zoom 5.2mm-15.6mm f1.8- 2.4 at 72 equiv its maybe 1\2 a stop faster than
    most other cameras and more than a stop faster than my gx-200 [5.1-15.3mm f2.5-4.4]

the lens is sharp and colors look good
    its the fastest point n shoot at this point , i think

edit , what a glowing review it got on lumenous landscape , i dont think video is as important as the reviewer felt but he was on the money in most of what he said

12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'd very much appreciate that as well. :smile:

See you already have - thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  13. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i was able to shoot 7 raw images in about 30 seconds , for those who care

dynamic range mode on
    [​IMG]

dynamic range mode off
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. simonclivehughes

simonclivehughes Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2010
    It's a nice little camera but I'm finding the UI to be a real dog's breakfast. It's way too easy to get in a mode where suddenly this or that doesn't work as you'd expect. For example, just today I realized I couldn't change the AF area, it was stuck on center and the other options were grayed out. Turns out I had inadvertently switched the camera to MF mode (which is done using the Macro icon button (!).

There's also some really stupid things such as the histogram disappearing when you change EV.

Samsung needs to do a real overhaul on the FW to make it more intuitive. I really hope they'll continue to develop the FW.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 2
  15. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    simon i had a similar problem,with lots of stuff grayed out it..... took me 10 mins to figure out that in exploring menu options i had inadvertently given a +1 value to sharpening in the image adjust selection , you lose crazy options!

later the same thing happened cause i was shooting raw,

needs a few firmware tweaks indeed brother , i still think its great and find it intuitive to use and shoot with, i have hasd control issues
    with the pen from day one , like what shooter described, but sometimes ya gotta forgive.....

16. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    simon besides the issues you raised what your opinion of the camera?
    i saw those great shots on your webpage was there some written stuff too that i missed ?....cheers

17. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    holy moly .........................i love my new camera ,.......... i love my new camera......

i used a salvaged gray strap from my old contax g1 which compliments the camera well ,
    both in size and aesthetically .........now from samsungs website it seems there was a gray option for body color, ouch
    gray is my favorite color , if it is a color, i think electronics that are gray rock
    cameras especially,

i guess since i got it in black it would be petty of me to return it just to get a different color, still i am tempted, with the gray strap it would be a killer combo
    smart and high quality........ i must think about this to decide the best course of action

anyone have any thoughts here , on what to do ?

cheers

edit
    i will continue to think about the best course.......hmmmmmmmmmmm

of course i need a case too , arrrghhh

18. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    shooter post something ....anything

19. simonclivehughes

simonclivehughes Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2010
    Well, so far I've really only had the one outing with it. I shot some on a trip to Toronto this week but mostly out of the plane window and I've yet to process them.

As mentioned, the camera has certain shortcomings that, to my mind, are certainly addressable. The software UI is just plain clunky. Some of the omissions are just glaring (like the histogram disappearing exactly when you need it most... changing the EV!).

But, the lens is lovely and the ability to shoot RAW is one of the main reasons I bought it. (That and the beautiful swivel LCD).

I've found that although the camera seems well constructed, the paint comes off far too easily. I've already got scratches and chipped paint along the bottom edge of the LCD just from rubbing against shirt buttons!

The other main thing that drives me to distraction is the ludicrously short charging cord that has to be plugged into the camera. Sorry, but anyone with more than one battery will want to be able to use the camera while the battery is charging. Again, this is no less than stupid and however interestingly they've designed the camera, this oversight simply disappoints.

However, having said (ranted about) the above, I think the camera has the capability to produce some excellent image files. I have a lot more playing around to do, but I have high hopes.

EDIT: Just discovered another bit of nonsense: the tripod mount is offset from the lens axis and is so close to the battery/SD door that even with the tiny QR plate from the smallest GorillaPod, you can't open the door wide enough. Arrrgh!

BTW, appreciate your kind words about my site. I'll probably put together a mini-review of the camera after I've had more time with it.

Ciao,

20. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    do that illl be sure to return for your thought of this neat new camera , and check out other shots you take .

there is a external charger , but in short i agree with you the charging solution is stupidly implimented , and the histogram thing , i checked it out , and not cool at all

hope my paint stays on!

but really it seems a great camera to me , i have found everything in life to be a compromise we somehow must convince ourselves to engage in
    cameras are no less guilty in this as this thread illustrates.

i cant tell you how many times ive been angry when i dont know where the proprietary
    usb cables of my pen are ....they go missing and i cant make due with another as i can with so many other cameras olympus grrrrrrr! i wince and move on .... i dont expect the tl500 to be any different in the long run

but just right now she is as sexy and perfect as a new girlfriend