My new rig is coming together...

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by thercman, Oct 30, 2013.

1. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Hey guys!

Well this has been a long process of reading reviews, collecting advice, watching videos and buying products. So far I have my GH3 on a full rig which I am planning to put Marshall monitor on as well. It was sort of tricky to get the GH3 mounted on the rig so I can pull focus since the camera is so small (the rig dwarfs it). In the (horrible cell phone) image below you can see that it is configured more or less standard. I am going to be changing a couple things right off the bat. First will be length of the top and side rails to shorter ones since these are in the way. I am also planning to purchase an adapter so I can use the rig off set to the right so the monitor will be in front of me.

Currently I am researching battery options. The v mount batteries seem to make the most sense by allowing me to power multiple accessories and provide more balance for the rig. Any suggestions on a decent affordable brand????

Since the gear is starting to come together I have also found a program call Scrivener to help me script write and create story boards.

If you guys have any advice on set up please let me know.

20131029_212015.

• Like Like x 3
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looking good!

What brand of matte box is that? Is it carbon fiber?{I can almost see a CF texture between the flags/doors}.

I think you need to get your mic further forward. Right now it is in a position where it might pick up camera sounds.

I personally do not like single leg tripods for video use, they tend to wobble when panning/tilting. They are fine if the camera is static however.

3. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Thanks! It is the Proaim CF swing away matte box. Disclaimer: I have not seen or handled any "professional" video equipment so I have nothing to compare this to. I do however have a lot of knowledge/experience with building higher end projects and the associated costs etc. With that said, the molded carbon portion of the box is excellent with no flaws. It's beautifully done. The flags stay put and the swing away is fairly stiff and also stays put. For what we do and probably well into more pro-ish type of work this seems like it would fit the bill for about 1/8th the price. I would highly recommend it. The rest of the rig is very functional but really designed for larger cameras. The fit is pretty good and more than adequate for its intended purpose. Some of the finish is a little rough but nothing really noticeable unless your looking for it. The thumb screws are something I will swap out though. They don't all swivel. If they did I could assemble the parts closer together etc. This was originally the Camtree 201 kit. I asked for the 6" cage instead of the 9" and to supplement the regular matte box with the CF version. Total shipped was $729. It left India on the 26th and showed up at my door at noon on the 29th! Overall I think this thing will be very functional and serve its purpose well. I did try piece together rigs by purchasing components etc but it would have cost much more. If producing videos becomes a very intricate part of my life then I will probably end up upgrading but not until this stops serving its purpose.

I didn't intend to write a mini review but it sort of ended up that way. There is not much info on the internet about these products so I thought I should share my initial impressions.

Yeah the tripod. I may send that one back to B&H and get a Manfrotto..

Edit: The mic will get moved once my friction arms and clamps show up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info on the mattebox and other rig parts. I have seen the parts from India but was doubtful of the quality{the Chinese stuff isn't very good}. As you said there isn't a lot of info on this brand. The American/German/Italian made stuff is great but the prices are totally crazy! I need to get matteboxes for the two AF100s I use at the church I work at.

5. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Glad I could be of assistance. :) I think you would be very satisfied with a pair of those CF matte boxes. They also come in a Pelican style case. It is really robust. I may buy some pluck foam and use it for carrying fragile items such as the camera on planes etc.

So yesterday I took the offset adapter off the rig and screwed the 6" rods to the ones under the camera creating a straight rig. In this configuration the rig is much more balanced. I am going to keep playing with the set up to see what works best for me.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Very nice! I don't do any video at all, so I have no idea what's what in it. But sure looks cool! Reminds me of the laser cannons in Star Wars. The ones that the Rebels used quite ineffectively against the imperial walkers.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Nice. You'll find that as you use the rig you find its strengths and weaknesses and tweak as you go.

BTW, Scrivener rocks. I do all of my writing with it. Wish there was an iPad version, but you can kind of open the individual files with DropBox, but they are read only, and have funky filenames.

8. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Armanius, I hope to use the rig effectively, unlike the Rebels... LOL

John, I was wondering how I was going to share files from the Macbook Pro to iMac. Maybe using the bluetooth share option will work well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Collin stempel

Collin stempel New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2014
    Great....
    Very informative...

Thanks.