My new project called Talents - #1 - Ballet dancer

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I have been admiring these spectacular ballet photos by the incredibly talented Richard Calmes for quite some time now and at some point I started dreaming of creating similar styled photos of dancers as well. Well... I saw a dancer looking for photographer(s) in a local TFCD Facebook group and asked if she'd be willing to pose for me - and she said yes. That happened last summer or autumn and it took a few months until we found a suitable date and finally had the photo shoot in December.

I had chosen E-M5III and 12-40mm f/2.8 to be my main tools and the lighting was done with two Godox AD200s and one TT350o. I attached the AD200s to stripboxes and placed them on both sides of the model and the tiny TT350 was placed above the model (facing downwards). I was trying to get this "glow" on the models skin - just like Mr. Calmes has achieved in his photos. I was really happy with the results - especially since it was my very first time trying to achieve this kind of look.

The first shots where taken in front of a black backdrop and then switched to a gray one. To my surprise I found the gray one far more pleasing when looking at the final images (and also noticed that it can easily be turned into e.g. blue in post-processing - which can be handy sometimes). I think the pitch black background turned out to be very boring and the faint texture adds "that something" to these kind of photos.

I'd assume people want to see some photos too? Here we go then...

50806538526_5e8344839e_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Emma - EM5A4725 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50809614367_c0843eb2c0_h.jpg
Emma - EM5A4729-3-srgb by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50812279938_2036bc1d34_h.jpg
Emma - EM5A4737-2-sepia by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50824000717_22e1c4d4bd_h.jpg
Emma - EM5A4769 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50823163358_53f6619d9a_h.jpg
Emma - EM5A4769-sepia by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50827432851_2023084626_h.jpg
Emma - EM5A4828 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50826687028_98c7f3e5a2_h.jpg
Emma - EM5A4828-sepia by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

I made a blog post on my website as well and there's a bit more text & photos there if you're interested. The blog post can be found here: https://teemup.net/blog/emma-2020-12/

In order to improve for the next shoot with her, C&C is more than welcome. I've already learned I held my camera too high which caused her to look shorter than she really is so that "issue" has been fixed already (as I've had a couple of other photo shoots regarding this project of mine).

Last edited:

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan B
i quite like the pose and the framing.
Care to elaborate so I can learn? :)
you could make it more natural looking, because all of them looks like an hdr photos, imho. and also the skin tones, i dunno what english term that could fit, but it's not quite 'there'(?).

but, if they're the looks you're after, then, keep the good work.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
i quite like the pose and the framing.

you could make it more natural looking, because all of them looks like an hdr photos, imho. and also the skin tones, i dunno what english term that could fit, but it's not quite 'there'(?).

but, if they're the looks you're after, then, keep the good work.
Cheers! As I said in the opening post, I was aiming for the "glow" effect on the skin so it is good that they're not normal in that regard. :drinks:

joelipka

New to Mu-43
If the tutu is white, then it should be white. It seems to pick up the colors in the toning process much more than it should. In the various images the tutu has either a taupe or blue cast.

You can figure that part out. Looks like a good start.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
If the tutu is white, then it should be white. It seems to pick up the colors in the toning process much more than it should. In the various images the tutu has either a taupe or blue cast.

You can figure that part out. Looks like a good start.
Thank you for the feedback - even though I disagree with the "If the tutu is white, then it should be white"-part. It wasn't a "documentary" type of shoot. Artistic freedom and all that... :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom