My New Olympus EP-2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rob, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Rob

Rob New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2010
    I introduced myself yesterday.. I had just pressed the button on Amazon and was waiting for my shiny new EP-2, with 17mm lens and electronic viewfinder VF-2. Well it (sorry She!) arrived today.....

My initial thoughts are:
    1/ There have only ever been what I could call a few stand outstanding looking cameras; the Canon T90 (which I used to own), Olympus OM series (all pretty especially the all black ones, though I have never had the pleasure of owning one) and now the EP-2. It is gorgeous! and even better when holding it.

2/ I had heard a lot about its slow auto-focus... Actually its not that bad, not as quick as my 5D mk2, but quick enough for my purposes. Though in truth the manual focus is so nice to use, I may well just use that !

3/ The screen on the back, is no where near as good as my Canon, but its more than usable, in fact I'm happy to manual focus with... although the VF-2 is even better.

4/ Using the camera in total manual, where the screen gets darker or lighter as you the change the shutter and aperture, makes me think these would be great little cameras for people wanting to learn the basics....

5/ Did I say she was gorgeous?

6/ I hope I get a nice weekend as I intend to take her out and leave the Canon at home. Then I can see what her RAW output is like!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Enjoy your new EP2

I have had mine about 3 weeks now and really enjoy it. I got the 14-42 kit lens, could not find a kit with the 17mm when I purchased mine, but I am looking forward to getting the 17mm soon.

Post some pic so we can see what you are doing.
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Rob, I'm so glad to hear she's arrived and can't wait to hear how things go over the weekend. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your first photos!:biggrin:
  4. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    I think Olympus designers intended the 17mm for street photography.

1. select Aperture Priority and set to F8
    2. select manual focus and manual focus at 8ft
    3. set ISO to auto with auto set from 200 to 1600
    4. choose monochrome
    5. switch off LCD
    6. aim with both eyes open either with EVF or OVF. I use EVF.
    7. the distance you take the shot should be equal to the width of the shot you want to take, e.g. shot 6 feet away if you want to capture 6 feet wide of the scene

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Congratulations Rob, glad to see you 'get it' regarding the design... I think it's truly a thing of beauty :cloud-9-039:

I love this image - actually, I think the Pen looks simpler :smile:

6. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Hey Brian, love the photo. It reminds me why I bought the Pen in the first place. It's a great looking camera. I just wish that the EP2 has a recessed hot shoe like the EP1. It makes a big difference. But the EP2 EVF is so superb, all is forgiven.

The Pen is truly a classic.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rob

Rob New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2010
    I have now used my e-p2. Very nice to use. When I workout how to post an image, I will post some.....!
  8. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Hi, make sure you have the latest firmware. I'm not an Oly user, but i heard it improves focus speed.
  9. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi, I just arrived here recently when I bought an E-PL1 in the champagne silver with black kit lens. I like it so much that I just ordered an E-P2, a VF1, a 17mm and a Nikon adapter. I figure my wife will claim the E-PL1 when she gets to use it and I really wanted the build quality of the E-P2. I have not actually seen one in the metal yet so I am looking forward to its arrival.
  10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    You'll love your EP2. It's a great little camera.
  11. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Okay, my E-P2 and 17mm have arrived, WOW! I really like the E-PL1 but this is the first time I have gotten to hold an E-P(1,2,3) and it is incredible. It is the most substantial device of this size that I have ever owned. I was a bit leery about autofocus, especially with the 17mm but it is quite fast and accurate. This will definitely be my constant companion camera.
  12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Monza -I agree. I got into :43: in late 2010 with the E-P1, and thought that was great, but bought an E-PL1 so I could use the VF-2 viewfinder. Really love the E-PL1, but I missed the two-dial controls of the E-P1. Now that brand new E-P2 bodies are on sale for $225, I bought one as well and got it just this weekend. Gorgeous looking, solid feel.

Now all I need to do is wait 2 years more for the E-P3 and O-MD to drop to the same price point!
  13. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I've thoroughly enjoyed using my E-P2. I've taken some of my best photographs with it. It feels great to hold, looks classic, paired with a good lens it takes nice photos, it's one of the few I'll probably keep for a long while.
  14. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I love lenses with shallow DOF so I will still use my Pentax K20D with the 50mm f1.4 lens but I can't wait to see what this lens will look like on the E-P2 (won't get a chance to try until July unfortunately).

I may end up using my Nikon 50mm f1.8 exclusively on the Oly since it is a very lightweight lens and the Nikon adapter is lighter and simpler than the Pentax DA adapter which has an aperture control to work with the new DA and old FA-J lenses which have no aperture ring. My "Nikon" body is actually an old Fuji S2Pro, great camera but rather outdated (10 years is a long time for a digital SLR).

Sorry, rambling again, I will probably use the E-P2 almost exclusively with the 17mm. The E-PL1 will be the body to experiment with.

I am quickly becoming a micro 4/3 convert.
  15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Congrats. I also have an Ep2 with 17mm lens, new, but I think I'll never sell it because its a very beautiful looking camera and takes excellent pictures.
    You'll enjoy it very much like I did.
  16. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    congrats on your new acquisition! i have an e-p1 and i love it more than any of my cameras. sleek and it has been through a lot of rough times (fell of a 6ft top bunk bed; soaked in the rain more than once, etc) and its still as alive as if its new!

downside is i cant use an EVF like your e-p2 can (not that i want it to have one... i like it as it is)
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If a refurb silver E-P2 ever becomes available at the same price as the refurb black ones, then I'm on it! :smile:
  18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    The ep2 is another of the under rated cameras because everyone is saying that the epl2 is better. I had an epl2 and sold it because I could not bond with it. To my opinion the ep2 is really a great camera beaten only by the E-M5 in IQ, for everything else its great even if the AF is slower than the newer cameras. In any case for me its ok.:smile:
    • Like Like x 1