My new Olympus E-PL1 camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ronyzmbow, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ronyzmbow

ronyzmbow Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I just bought, for a very attractive price, a brand new Olympus E-PL1 camera with the second generation Olympus 14-42 mm. kit lens. This after 4 years with my beloved but aging OlympusE-1. I thought this was time to jump into the the Micro 4-3 world.
    I will thank you for any advices about settings - RAW - extra lenses, tips or anything else which might be relevant for me with the new system camera.

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Congratulations on entering m43.

I don't think there are any settings to make for RAW. You just have the choice of JPEG, RAW, or JPEG + RAW. I use JPEG + RAW because that means I can immediately see the shots I want to process then I copy across the RAW of it to my computer.
    By default JPEGS I think are not set to maximum quality - go into the menu and set JPEGS to best quality (SF).
    Enable the Super Control Panel.
    A second battery is my essential extra (apart from a memory card).

If you press the magnifying glass button while you have the focus area selection up it will give you a super small focus box.

Extra lenses all depends on the sort of shots you want to do, and your budget. I suppose you need to find out what the kit lens gives you and what it can't do that you want to do.

3. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Welcome - it's a great camera despite it's quirks. There are some good tips at this site including some settings suggestions:
    E-PL1 Menu

A lot of it comes down to personal preference though - so play around and see what suits you best, the camera is very customisable (is that a word?). :smile:

As above, turning on the Super Control Panel is a good idea for most people though, again instructions here: E-PL1 comments

4. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    great mirrorless camera, already missing this beauty but now heading to epl2 after had a really bargain for the epl1, enjoy it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.