My new Olympus E-PL1 camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ronyzmbow, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ronyzmbow

ronyzmbow Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I just bought, for a very attractive price, a brand new Olympus E-PL1 camera with the second generation Olympus 14-42 mm. kit lens. This after 4 years with my beloved but aging OlympusE-1. I thought this was time to jump into the the Micro 4-3 world.
    I will thank you for any advices about settings - RAW - extra lenses, tips or anything else which might be relevant for me with the new system camera.
  2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Congratulations on entering m43.

I don't think there are any settings to make for RAW. You just have the choice of JPEG, RAW, or JPEG + RAW. I use JPEG + RAW because that means I can immediately see the shots I want to process then I copy across the RAW of it to my computer.
    By default JPEGS I think are not set to maximum quality - go into the menu and set JPEGS to best quality (SF).
    Enable the Super Control Panel.
    A second battery is my essential extra (apart from a memory card).

If you press the magnifying glass button while you have the focus area selection up it will give you a super small focus box.

Extra lenses all depends on the sort of shots you want to do, and your budget. I suppose you need to find out what the kit lens gives you and what it can't do that you want to do.
  3. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Welcome - it's a great camera despite it's quirks. There are some good tips at this site including some settings suggestions:
    E-PL1 Menu

A lot of it comes down to personal preference though - so play around and see what suits you best, the camera is very customisable (is that a word?). :smile:

As above, turning on the Super Control Panel is a good idea for most people though, again instructions here: E-PL1 comments
  4. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    great mirrorless camera, already missing this beauty but now heading to epl2 after had a really bargain for the epl1, enjoy it