my new msata toy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghetto, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I just had to post this, it's a picture of my new toy. Just in case you are still stuck in the dark ages of 3.5" HDD's :tongue:

On the left is a microsdhc card, in the middle is a standard sd card, on the right is a m-stat-III 6Gb/s 240GB drive with AES 128 bit encryption.... it's almost exactly 2x the size of the SD card and the same thickness. It uses about 4 times the power though (300mW adverse to about 200mW for SD).

Throw one of those in a camera and get rid of the SD card already. No slot means nothing to break. (Add in a wireless charger and you are getting closer to a sealed camera.)
  2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    But 1W? :eek: Battery life would not look pretty! :biggrin:
  3. DanSullivan

DanSullivan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dan Sullivan
    I wonder if it could be kept turned off except when you are moving an image onto it. Would still be a power hog during video though.

Pretty amazing though!
  4. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

oops sorry I misquoted, that 1w was for the 2.5" version,

this version is 250 mW idle, and 300 mW usage.

Still worst than the sd cards by about 2x, I think sd card idle is very very small.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Super, but exactly what are you about to use it for?
  6. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

oh, that's the new HD for my laptop. With msata, it means I can have 3 HD's in my standard laptop, the msata, the regular hd, and the optical drive can be swapped out for another HD. (or if you have an ultra portable with no optical drive you can still have 2 HD's) I run multiple drives in my laptop because I have it setup to do automatic daily backups from one drive to another so in the event of a drive failure I never lose more than 1 days work and I can always restore changes from 1 day ago if I do something silly.
  7. Mad_Sunday

Mad_Sunday Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Staffordshire UK
    I wanted to do this, however, the two mini pci-e slots in my HP laptop (one has a wifi card, the other for a wwan card is empty) are wired so that only the contacts in use are connected, they also swap the "standard" pin-out to their own "standard". Are you able to boot from it? that was another reason I gave up and fitted a regular sata 240GB SSD (a Plextor I paid £99 for (new) on eBay) that works fine.

Good luck with it, it's the future ;-)

8. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

yupp, a lot of older (5 years old) laptops suffered the same problem you mentioned, those are mini-pci slots not msata slots, they look the same and fit the same (so i'm told) but don't work the same. Most newer laptops (last 3 years) (except apple) will have msata and will be written in the specs, not mini-pci, it's then just another drive on the sata bus.
  9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    One cool thing these msata drives have enabled are smaller computing platforms, like Intel's "Next Unit of Computing":

Intel NUC

I just picked up an Ivy Bridge dual-core i3 model (not ULV) to replace an old Core2Duo desktop server that recently died; here it is sitting behind my printer with 8GB of RAM and a 64GB mSata--it's smaller than the 2TB HDD enclosure to its left:

It runs a full copy of Windows 8, two media servers (SqueezeBox, PS3), holds my Lightroom backups, etc. It's passively cooled and has an HDMI out to connect it straight to your TV, if that's your sort of thing. Pretty sweet!
  10. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I have a couple of mSATA SSDs laying around, keep losing track of them.

mSATA would make a terrible camera storage device. There's no need for something around 16, 32 or 64GB to be that big. The pins used on the mSATA slot would probably not withstand constant plugging in / removal either.
  11. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

oh cool, do you have a link or a google name to search on for who sells those?

i'd switched to laptops years ago just because as a package they are cheaper and more power efficient than desktops. i always keep an eye out for these small and low power desktops though to see if it's still true. (like the mac mini was actually just a laptop in a desktop case, but over priced...)
  12. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I bought mine from NCIX in Vancouver, but most of the major online retailers carry them (e.g. newegg): - Computer Hardware, Barebone / Mini Computers, Mini / Booksize Barebone Systems, nuc
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My 3.5" drives are terabyte sizes in RAID arrays :rolleyes: And the almighty 2.5" SSD for most other things.