My New Monitor: Dell U2311H

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WT21, Jul 26, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've not been too much into color calibration, though I should have been. I picked up a HW calibrator a while back, but it's limited in how it could improve my MBP 13" screen. I just received a Dell U2311H from Dell (of course).

Great screen. 23" Landscape and portrait tilt. Easy menu controls. It's an IPS panel, though it uses a color interpolation, and is native only 6 bits. But still, it scored higher in the online tests I found than pricier counterparts. It's only been out since last summer, but is getting good reviews, and good testing. I called Dell because they had it listed at $319. I asked for a lower price, and they gave me $277 (but they do charge sales tax).

If you are looking for a budget end, but reasonably good monitor for photo work, take a look at this one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Fantastic monitor, got mine last year. Easy to calibrate, great size. ...and you can often get good deals on these on eBay as well. Enjoy!

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, I love these things. Bought 3 of them, actually. Normal price is 250 + ship and tax, the public list price is bs. I picked up one refurb at 200 and it was in perfect condition too. I also have the older 2209WA and I just got a hold of a 2408WFP...but I've run out of computers and desk space. Whoops.

By the way, the 2209 is an 8 bit IPS panel versus the 6 bit U23, and I can only barely tell the difference on test patterns. (eg a rectangle that is 127/128 green, you can barely see the two shades on the 2209 but not the 2311). For all practical purposes they look identical.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    And I thought I got a good price! I should have asked here first for what I should be paying for it.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    You have to be patient. Dell blows out their monitors on schedules and it's when the blowouts arrive that you get the deals. The 2408 (which is an S-PVA by the way) arrived for about $180 shipped.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm not listening...la la la la la la (fingers in ears) :)

I just checked Dell's clearance, and while they have an E2211 for cheap, there's no U2211.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    An immediate upside of moving from a 13" laptop to this new monitor is I can actually see my pictures now! Oh, and I can have the LR tools open while working on a picture. With my laptop, I constantly had to hide the toolbars and do "full screen view"

8. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Don't do this to me. Having 13" screen only myself I would really love to have such monitor in front of me. Well another thing is going to the list :smile:

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I probably shouldn't mention that for $50 you can get a neat little USB device that lets the Macbook drive two external monitors instead of just one.

Ooops.

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Congrats!

I'm still using the Dell 2407FPW monitor I got in 2006... for $770! And it was a deal then lol. Still hard to find good 1920x1200 monitors nowadays (they're all 1080p - boo! :tongue: )

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Dell just announced/released? a new 24" Ultrasharp, still maintaining the 16:10 ratio with 19x12 and LED backlit (but not wide gamut like the 2408 I have...) : Dell UltraSharp U2412M Monitor with LED Details

Granted, I picked up my 2408w on ebay w/ bing for $330... I'm holding out for a 27" er (despite hating the move to 16:9).

12. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    I had the U2311H for a long while—great monitor. The 2711 is the better panel, but the price difference is massive and the 2311 is good value because of it.

Eventually upgraded to an iMac (uses the same panel as the 2711 Dell), but not before convincing a friend to get the 2311.

13. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I've got a U2311 and U2711. Both are great panels. My only complaints with my U2711 is that it's difficult to calibrate to my Apple 30" (not REALLY a problem with either monitor) and it runs pretty hot for an LCD. The U2311 has neither of these problems. It's just a solid workhorse of a monitor, like my Dell 2005FPW and 2001FP before it. Dell's IPS displays have always been excellent.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Having moved to Mac in 2007, I NEVER thought I'd be buying Dell again, but I kept reading about their monitors, and I needed a new one. This one is really nice.

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    So, I don't want to become a computer geek, but I know the monitors I use at home and at work are GARBAGE. Without spending days reading monitor reviews, is this U2311H the best monitor (at a reasonable price point)?

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In my short research, I googled "best monitors for photography" (e.g. Best Monitor for Photography) and then used the monitor research site (Monitor Panel Search Database).

There are better monitors than the U2311H. The U2311H doesn't have wide color gamut, for instance, it has the more standard color gamut. But all the monitors that do have a wide gamut are a good deal more expensive. I would think if you are a SERIOUS photographer (make a living off it, or have the time and money to make your pictures perfect) than there are better monitors to get. But if you are a hobbyist like me, and you don't have that much time or funds to put into it, this seems like a consensus "best buy" for that use case.

You could also Google "u2311h for photography" and see that there isn't really a bad thing said about it, other than there are better options for more money.

You can read the TFTCentral review here: Dell U2311H Review

Also from Flatpanels HD site: Dell U2311H - FlatpanelsHD

• Like Like x 1
  17. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I wouldn't say it's the best monitor out there; there are some high-end professional monitors out there that are better, and there might be some models that are a bit cheaper and as good. But all of the U series monitors are excellent. You can't go wrong buying one, really.

If you want to save some cash watch the net for coupons (retailmenot.com is useful, as are Fat Wallet and techbargains.com). I got my U2311 for $220 last year combining a couple coupons... quite a bit off retail. Even if you don't get a mega discount, 20% off coupons are pretty common if you're willing to wait a bit.

18. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Based on the recommendations here, I'm contemplating buying one of these. Does it matter if I use VGA instead of DVI connector (on a Windows PC). I understand the virtues of an all-digital interface, but does it make a difference in the real world?

19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, it really does. VGA connections are garbage, and there's no point buying this grade of monitor if you're still going to hook it up with a VGA cable.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I have to disagree about VGA. Yeah, it is an old technology that needs to die. It puts an extra digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion into the mix over digital standards, and the analog part is the cable--great for picking up interference. As the resolution gets higher (>1900x1200) or the cable gets longer (>10ft) or with dirty power or nearby interference the analog nature of VGA starts to become a liability, but I've got a lot of systems running 1900x1200 on VGA and it's not really a factor in image quality.

I'd definitely use DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort if they are available to you, especially if you have a long cable run. But if VGA is all you have, it's OK. Don't buy a smaller monitor because of VGA. I'm running VGA on my U2311 and it looks great.

• Like Like x 1