1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My new "macro" lens: Jupiter-12 35mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MikeR_GF1, Jun 6, 2012.

1. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Guest

A couple of months ago, I bought a few lenses from a guy more afflicted with Lens Lust than I am. One of those lenses, a Jupiter-12, posed quite a challenge: how in heck do you mount the thing, with a rear element that sticks out a whole inch beyond its flange? It seemed that most Jupiter-12's I saw on various sites had either a Leica screw mount or a Contax mount. I bought a Contax C/Y adapter from RainbowImaging (dot-biz). No good.

Tempted to just sell the frustrating thing, but I couldn't let go. Finally, I read something that hinted at a Nikon S type mount. Bought an adapter. It fit. Uh-oh ... not deep enough to get that rear element into a safe location. Ah ha! Macro adapters! I selected the shallowest ring in the set, and that did the trick. (Over-did it actually. I'd like the rear element flush with the flange, but it's appx 10 cm inside.)

It focuses at about 4 - 5 inches beyond the lens - that's all. I like what I see, though. It may not be the best macro lens going, and maybe this lens would be more usable if I could get back that 10cm, but having invested time and money and skull-sweat into this thing, I'm gonna keep it. Besides, it looks cool.

Here are some pictures, of it, and with it. I used a Vivitar adapted lens at f8 to image the lens, and the adapted lens at f16 for the macro shots. All on my kitchen table "studio" in good morning light.
    Jupiter-12 front view - notice the deep well. Aperture setting inside this.
    1020273m43.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    0mm    f/1.0    1/30s    ISO 400

Jupiter-12 side view - Unusual rear element, appx 25cm protrusion.
    1020274m43.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    0mm    f/1.0    1/30s    ISO 400

Adapting Jupiter-12 - The Nikon S adapter, all by itself, still lets the rear element hang out. I used the shortest macro adapters to build it up. This shows the pieces.
    1020276m43.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    0mm    f/1.0    1/30s    ISO 160

Shows the entire build-up. However, the rear element is now appx 10cm behind the flange.
    1020277m43.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    0mm    f/1.0    1/30s    ISO 500

A UK bank note. DOF is ultra-shallow. Distance from lens is appx 4" (100cm). Need to move the camera or the subject to focus, then use focus ring to fine tune.
    1020279m43.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    0mm    f/1.0    1/30s    ISO 100

Canadian $2 coin, up close
    1020280m43.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    0mm    f/1.0    1/13s    ISO 800

Euro coin, up close
    1020281m43.JPG
    DMC-GF1    ---    0mm    f/1.0    1/13s    ISO 800

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.