My new little PL25 rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krugorg, Sep 24, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Okay... I read the posts re: the aperture blade noise of the PL25 when mounted on Oly bodies (thanks Soundimageplus), but I went ahead and ordered this week anyway, figuring that maybe I wouldn't notice, or that there would be a firmware fix on the way.

I had it out today on my E-P3 in moderate sunlight and, ummm, yeah, it is fairly loud and happens frequently. I hadn't noticed this on my 20mm before, so threw that on to test. The 20's aperture blades click the same amount when mounted in the same situation, but the blades are quiet enough to mostly get drowned out by background noise. The PL25 aperture blades are probably 2-3X as loud when working.

Curious what other Oly and new PL25 owners are thinking? Do I need to just manage my expectations on this lens and use only in low light situations? Right now, it seems like this lens is all of a sudden a bit specialized for me and, given its price tag, I am considering a return.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Same thing my neighbor girl is experiencing on her GH-2.:confused:

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I guess I'll keep my trusty old 20mm for the time being!

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Just seems to me that a crack in the 'system' has appeared. Panasonic should address this. Pretending like it isn't happening is not good. Be nice for Oly if they could suddenly pop up with a great 25mm prime. (of course if its not already in the works the wait would be far too long) :frown:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 has noisy aperture blades too. Good thing it doesn't adjust automatically. ;) My Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 is totally smooth and silent though.

Wait... I'm I totally off topic here? ;)

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Weird, I thought this was a Oly interaction thing.

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Nope. I've noticed the same thing on my G2 and Panny 20mm, it's constantly adjusting the aperture.

8. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    No, but both my 45-200 and my Panaleica 45 make this noise too..... It was worrying at first but I really don't notice it now.

9. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I had the PL45, shot a bunch with it outdoors in sunlight, and can tell you with high confidence that I never noticed loud aperture blades. I am not saying that it does not adjust, just saying that the PL45 and P20 were not noticeable to me. The PL25 is louder.

10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This will happen with the GH2 when:
    1. Constant Preview is set to ON
    2. Camera is in Shutter Priority mode (S)
    3. ISO is not set to Auto
    4. The camera is moved from shadow to light

With these settings, the camera is dynamically adjusting the exposure based on the light that it sees. Because the Shutter Speed and ISO are locked down to fixed values, the Aperture gets adjusted.

To really see this happen, choose a shutter speed and ISO that causes the Aperture to be wide open and then turn on a flashlight and point it at the lens. You will see the aperture blades stop down.

Does Oly have a version of "Constant Preview"?

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Would this be the same as "Live View" on Olympus?

I will dig a bit into the manual today and see if there are any similar settings. Also, going to play a bit with other shooting modes. Thanks!

12. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    No luck here with the E-P3 today.... tried all shooting modes, multiple apertures, iauto, etc. and aperture is active and noisy/noticeable in all settings that I can find.

I put in a RMA request with Unique Photo. Everything is minty fresh, so hope they will okay a return, just in case I can't figure out a solution.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Krugorg,
    Did you try MANUAL exposure(shutter speed & aperture) and MANUAL (only) FOCUS?

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Huh, thought I had tried this already (or maybe difference of midday sun with late afternoon), but it moves the aperture blades a lot less in Manual exposure mode. It still happens, but seems the difference in light needs to be more significant in order for it to occur.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Manual focus, regardless of mode, seemed to make no difference.