My new GX9 will not load photos into Google Photos or Microsoft Photos. This

failsafe

Mu-43 Regular
seems to be a big issue as my GX1 is flawless. I even switched cards yesterday, and neither card from the GX9 worked. They download, and then ask if want to create a folder, which might or might not work, or they go into something known as recent activity, and in the case of the Microsoft product, they promptly went away. I use San Disk cards, appropriate for the camera, and JPEG only. B&H Customer Service suggested that the camera might be non-compatible with the algorithm used by Google and Microsoft. My camera 30 day trial is about to expire so I am asking for any previous experience with this. Thanks.

Last edited:

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
seems to be a big issue as my GX1 is flawless. I even switched cards yesterday, and neither card from the GX9 worked. They download, and ask if want to create a folder, which might of might not work, or they go into something known as recent activity, and in the case of the Microsoft product, they went away. I use San Disk cards, appropriate for the camera. B&H Customer Service suggested that the camera might be non-compatible with the algorithm used by Google and Microsoft. My camera 30 day trial is about to expire so I am asking for any previous experience with this. Thanks.
May I assume you are taking the card out of the camera and inserting it into your computer to transfer photos?

Does the same thing happen if you use the card to capture photos in your GX1?

I'd reformat the card in the GX9 and try again.

failsafe

Mu-43 Regular
May I assume you are taking the card out of the camera and inserting it into your computer to transfer photos?

Does the same thing happen if you use the card to capture photos in your GX1?

I'd reformat the card in the GX9 and try again.
Done that several times, thanks. GX1 loads without issues.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
What happens if you copy the files to your internal drive and then try to read them?

--Ken

failsafe

Mu-43 Regular
What happens if you copy the files to your internal drive and then try to read them?

--Ken
Have not tried that, never have. I have four other cameras and they load without fail. Thanks.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
seems to be a big issue as my GX1 is flawless. I even switched cards yesterday, and neither card from the GX9 worked. They download, and then ask if want to create a folder, which might or might not work, or they go into something known as recent activity, and in the case of the Microsoft product, they promptly went away. I use San Disk cards, appropriate for the camera, and JPEG only. B&H Customer Service suggested that the camera might be non-compatible with the algorithm used by Google and Microsoft. My camera 30 day trial is about to expire so I am asking for any previous experience with this. Thanks.
A slightly different suggestion ...

Download the free FastStone Viewer (no ads or poxware) and use it for everything. It's far superior to Google or Microsoft Photos.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Have not tried that, never have. I have four other cameras and they load without fail. Thanks.
I understand, but doing this helps to isolate the source of your problem. Just because you have no had issues in the past does not mean that a piece of equipment does not have issues now. Moving the files to your internal drive helps to rule out the card and card reader.

--Ken

failsafe

Mu-43 Regular
As an update, B&H sent me another camera. I wanted to give the first camera every bit of a chance to ensure I was doing nothing wrong. At this point, the files are loading from the new camera. I am going to reconfigure it in the manner I want and see if they still stick. Thanks.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As an update, B&H sent me another camera. I wanted to give the first camera every bit of a chance to ensure I was doing nothing wrong. At this point, the files are loading from the new camera. I am going to reconfigure it in the manner I want and see if they still stick. Thanks.
Do you still have the old camera? I'd be curious to hear how it might handle the Mini SD card if it was formatted on your Windows machine. Such a weird case.

Last edited:

failsafe

Mu-43 Regular
Do you still have the old camera? I'd be curious to hear how it might handle the Mini SD card if it was formatted on your Windows machine. Such a weird case.
I do, but it is packed up for shipment back to B&H this morning. Thanks.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Something similar to this had been discussed a while ago after one of MS's stellar Windows 10 updates...

There used to be a setting that would ask "What do you want to do with this type of media" whenever I inserted a card the slot. For some reason it went away. The computer stopped recognizing cards and flash drives automatically. Not the first time MS did this, you can do a search and find it on the interwebs.

Perhaps enough people bitched that they restored it in a subsequent update. I don't know, because I ended up with a different method that is whole lot faster and better than using MS photo.

I insert the card, choose or create a folder myself, hit select all, and drag/drop the files to the folder I want. I have come home with well over 2,000 Raw/jpeg files from the drag strip. Doing it the old way, I would have to get up and walk away. It would take an hour or more to transfer them to the computer. The drag and drop method does it in a few minutes. Moreover, it is a direct file transfer that doesn't go through any program. I am fairly certain (although I never took the time to check) that MS photos downscales jpeg's to something like 75dpi. Direct transfer leaves them as they came out of the camera.

I hated the extra steps at first, but now that I'm used to it I'd never go back to that hinky program for transferring photos. I use it as a quick view for jpegs only to determine what needs to be culled.

Latest threads

Top Bottom