My new GM1 with examples

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I got this camera with a kit lens couple days ago for my short Vegas trip. I was accompanying my wife who was going to a convention. I was worried because the last time we went to Vegas, and I had Sony A7r+35FE lens, the security at one of the fancy clubs did not want to let me in, so my wife had to hide the camera in her purse. This time, with GM1 kit it was a breeze because the camera literally looks smaller than most point-and-shoots and no problems bringing it in anywhere. Although my wife herself is not happy with how the kit lens renders her portraits (she prefers 135MM FL at least for her portraits and yells at me if I use anything shorter), the kit lens was good for general shots and after playing with Raw and Jpegs, I resorted to shooting Jpegs and left ISO up to 3200. My last m43 camera before GM1 was Olympus OMD EM5 and whatever DXO thinks, it appears to my eyes that low light shots are cleaner on GM1 than they were on EM5.

Vegas-PanaGM1-76-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Vegas-PanaGM1-91-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-97-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-126-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-160-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-179-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-184-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-265-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-272-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-290-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-304-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-311-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-316-X2.jpg

Vegas-PanaGM1-336-X2.jpg

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Excellent shots of the concert and the crowd in general. I gotta ask: is that your wife in the 4th pic? I love the idea that she has lens preferences for her portraits.

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Excellent shots of the concert and the crowd in general. I gotta ask: is that your wife in the 4th pic? I love the idea that she has lens preferences for her portraits.

yes it is. When it comes to photography which is my hobby she is my biggest supporter but at the same time she is my harshest critic. A long time ago we shot her photos at different focal lengths and she has a precise idea about how she likes it, which is around 90mm for full body or 3/4 shots, and 135-200 when it comes to head shots etc. As they say, Happy wife - Happy life.

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
get the 45/1.8, it's easy to tuck in your pocket so you can sneak it in places like this, and it's 90mm equivalent FL will make your wife happy

though I'm surprised they wouldn't let you in with an A7 and 35FE, that's the same size as an E-M5 and 17/1.8, and not nearly the SLR size most people perceive as "professional".

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
get the 45/1.8, it's easy to tuck in your pocket so you can sneak it in places like this, and it's 90mm equivalent FL will make your wife happy

though I'm surprised they wouldn't let you in with an A7 and 35FE, that's the same size as an E-M5 and 17/1.8, and not nearly the SLR size most people perceive as "professional".

I used to own 45 1.8 and all the other m43 lenses. 45/1.8 mm will only make my wife happy for full body shots. 75/1.8 used to always made her happy for portraits:
PC292953-Edit-XL.jpg

However, do I really want to put the 75 on a tiny, non-stabilized GM1? I am not sure.

Re: A7r vs EM5, I'd had more luck trying to bring in EM5 with 14/2.5 (with no grip) with lenses than I did with A7r. I can't explain it, it could be that EM5 with 14/2.5 looks thinner than A7r that has a grip to begin with. I also had no problems bringing in Fuji X100/ X100s. But no such luck with A7r.

drpump

Mu-43 Regular
Wow, that lens is producing fabulous images for a kit lens. I've been toying with the idea of buying one separately as a compact everyday lens (currently use a Pana 20mm f/1.7, bit it's a bit slow). Very tempting!

bios

Mu-43 Rookie
Very nice pictures indeed ;-)
I have received my new Pana GM1 this week and one of the reasons to buy it was the small factor and low light capabilities.
All shots were shot at 3200 you say, can you say something about the shutter speed/ aperture you used with the concert/ party pictures ?

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very nice pictures indeed ;-)
I have received my new Pana GM1 this week and one of the reasons to buy it was the small factor and low light capabilities.
All shots were shot at 3200 you say, can you say something about the shutter speed/ aperture you used with the concert/ party pictures ?

I'd say it was surprisingly good for a slow lens like 12-32.

Here are some dayime photos with the same lens

untitled-35-4-X2.jpg
untitled-58-X2.jpg

Theo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Theo K.
Nice samples. Is the sharpness of the 12-32 even close to the 45 in the general sense? I know the MTF numbers. I am not expecting it to but want to know in relative terms under daily use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice samples. Is the sharpness of the 12-32 even close to the 45 in the general sense? I know the MTF numbers. I am not expecting it to but want to know in relative terms under daily use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

Sharpness is phenomenal for kit lens. The lens is obviously slow which is multiplied by the fact that you are shooting with a sensor half-size of FF. But for landscape and general shooting it is convenient. my goal is to eventually supplement it with 20/1.7 and 45/1.8. I've owned 45mm many times but currently dont own one so i cannot tell you about its sharpness on this body.

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
These photos look great!

Your comment about noise/IQ vs. EM5 is very interesting, I wonder if any others have any real-world impressions on this.

Theo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Theo K.
Just bought this lens after seeing all the unbelievable photos. This lens is indeed very sharp compared to prime lenses and even beat up a few. The only problem is narrower aperture though it's perfect for daily carry and family photos.

I use Olympus bodies E-PM2 and E-M10 with this lens. I saw samples and read comments about uncorrected CA on Olympus bodies and was a little worried. I confirmed the finding that CA is well corrected on Olympus bodies with TruePic VII processor (E-M10 and E-M1).

12-32 @17mm f4.0 from E-PM2
14763751020_43e0ff06c1_o.jpg
E-PM2 with 12-32 CA Illustration by CyberTred, on Flickr

12-32 @17mm f4.0 from E-M10
14927427106_dc98b40d9b_o.jpg
E-M10 with 12-32 CA Illustration by CyberTred, on Flickr

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just bought this lens after seeing all the unbelievable photos. This lens is indeed very sharp compared to prime lenses and even beat up a few. The only problem is narrower aperture though it's perfect for daily carry and family photos.

Ill go even further. I used to own Panasonic 12-35/2.8 lens. As far as I am concerned, but it is of course my opinion only, 2.8 on m43 is still pedestrian 5.6 on a full frame. so you still won't get a great separation on a 2.8 lens on m43. so in terms of a kit lens, 2.8, 3.5, etc. all the same on m43 in my book. In order to get some creative separation on a m43 in these short focal lengths, you need to step up to 1.8 and faster lenses. if you are not getting these 1.8 and faster lenses, you might as well get this tiny kit lens, especially if using on a tiny camera like GM1.

absolutic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
untitled-446-2-X2.jpg
untitled-459-2-X2.jpg
untitled-478-2-X2.jpg
untitled-486-2-X2.jpg
untitled-490-2-X2.jpg
untitled-577-X2.jpg
untitled-592-X2.jpg
untitled-596-2-X2.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom