1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My new GF-1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kwaphoto, Jun 6, 2010.

1. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    I love this little thing! It's addicting and fun to use! I wrote on my blog that...

"Well, I finally gave in on the micro-4/3 (m4/3) concept originated by Olympus and Panasonic. I debated for weeks between the GF-1 or the EP-2, in the end, the GF-1 was chosen not because of feature or IQ, but rather price. Yes, price. I got a deal through an employee discount program that I couldn’t resist for the GF-1 + 20 kit. It made choosing the EP-2 + 17 + EVF option look insane. I couldn’t believe the discount (I won’t mention it specifically, other than to say it was almost like getting the body for well under $300). Check to see if you employer offers such programs

The GF-1 is slightly smaller than the Canon G11, which is a near perfect size for an everyday camera in my opinion. The ergonomics are wonderful, the speed of operation (menus, image review, shutter lag, AF, etc.) are all light years ahead of the G11 (or any other point and shoot). The best part is the sensor. It’s the same size as in my Olympus E-3 and E-1 DSLRS…which are now really lonely and feeling neglected!"

I have some images posted there from the camera as well as some size comparisons. I WISH I JOINED THE m4/3 CLUB SOONER!!!!! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice post and nice blog.

And welcome to the m4/3 club - tell all your friends it's like jumping into the pool "Come on in, the water's fine!"

It's noted many times on this forum how simple the micro four thirds systems is to use, how small it is and how that turns into more keepers, because the camera is always with you.

I owned my GF1+20mm kit since January, and I have more than 3000 photos with it to date. Mind you I am not a professional photographer, but along with my computer and work papers, in the morning I pack my camera. I take it on business trips, I take it with my family on the weekends, I take it everywhere. I guess you can say that I am also addicted. And no, I am not checking into a program to cure this anytime soon!

Currently I average over 20 photos a day, up from 4-5 photos a week with the point and shoot that is now gathering dust in the desk. This camera and this system has reignited my love of photography. My GF1 is set always in aperature mode, and set to shoot without lens - allowing me to switch between the panny and my Nikon 50mm f1.4. These two lenses allow me to take 80-90% of the shoots I want to take. Makes it easy packing a kit for travel.

The GF1 is unobtrusive enough that I can take it anywhere and get the candid shots I am looking for because people don't react to it the way they did when I would bringmy F3 (sold since I didn't use it for a 5 year period - replaced with ... you guessed it, the GF1)

Even though the number of photos taken has increased dramatically, the number of keepers as a percentage of photos has also skyrocketed. I attribute this outcome to being enthusiastic enough to bring this tool EVERYWHERE and completely comfortable with it's capabilities. So comfortable with it's capabilities that I relax and focus on composition. The results have FAR exceeded my expectations. Glad to see that I am not alone.

Stephen

• Like Like x 3
  3. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    congrats on your gf1 :)

i love mine.