My New G9

Vorchek

Mu-43 Regular
I got one. I wanted another quality camera, for backup among other reasons, and the recent deals on the G9 kept catching my attention. As it happens, I finally broke down and bought when Adorama offered an even juicier deal on an open box model, “good as new,” with a fair warranty.

Initial observation: the G9 doesn’t strike me as BIG. I’ve read a lot about that, but of course one may best judge such matters with the camera in hand. To explain my perspective, these past few years I’ve been using an EM5 II. If anything, that camera may be slightly small for my tastes, mainly because of the tiny built-in grip. I have habitually employed the camera with an attached Fotodiox grip; the combination works great. So, I’m comparing the G9 to the EM5+grip. The G9 isn’t much bigger, and its built-in grip is perfect. No need to add anything here. Anyway, not a pocket camera, for sure, just a size to suit me.

Real easy to go through the menus and set up the basics. I haven’t even begun to sort out the custom settings, my next priority. I haven’t yet because I didn’t need to in order to start testing the camera to see how it fairs doing what I want. The reason is the amazing array of buttons and dials, most of them clearly designated, which allows me to operate or change functions on the fly. This may be the most dramatic difference. During my single outing so far, I was able to “wing” almost everything I did. That is a thrill.

I shot a bunch of pictures of birds and such with the Panasonic 100-300 II, handheld, the camera set on dual IS. Results were fine, good clarity and snappy focus. I could actually gain focus on a very distant hummingbird up in the air. That is a new capability for me. The EM5 won’t detect a tiny object like that.

No kidding what they say about the shutter button. It shoots if you breathe on it. I will get used to that. I took a few pics by mistake. The battery seems to run down about as fast as the one in the Olympus. I have four for that camera, have acquired three for the G9, may end up buying one more.

To this point, I’m not bowled over by the famous G9 viewfinder. I had a devil of a time maneuvering the diopter wheel, but I think I’ve gotten it set now. I can see through the viewfinder just fine, but I can on the Olympus too. Rapid movement of the G9 viewfinder in less than bright light gives me a lot of . . . is that what they call shearing? I mean a serious blurring with movement. I have the VF frame rate turned up all the way, which makes a difference, but I’m left wondering if I’m missing something. On the other hand, I can wear my sunglasses with this one.

I tried the G9 with my Voigtlanders. For IS purposes it automatically asks me for the focal length, and makes it easy to input the exact figure. I like that. Manual focusing with peaking and magnification is a breeze. I didn’t have one such shot go wrong.

Those are the items that currently come to mind. I look forward to my next session.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Welcome to the club ! :)
A couple tips from my own experience with the camera and that's not obvious from the manuals.

- Remember you can press and hold any of the custom buttons to quickly re-assign it. HOWEVER , this also includes pressing any of the 4 directions on the wheel on the back AND even the directions of the joystick if yo u disable it for moving the AF point. This is great for those times when you're using the camera and u say to urself "gosh I wish <insert feature name> was on this button." Well just hold and assign it.
With this I set Left on the back dial for AF Mode to match my other Panasonic cameras. Up for AF-Scope (very handy for checking focus) down is 1-time spot metering and right is AFS/AFF toggle.
- U might want to assign F1 for playback since then u can review images using one hand instead of using the other hand to reach it on the other side of the camera.
- Assign buttons for AF-Near (with the latest patch) and/or AF-Far so you can quickly unstick AF if it gets stuck on the wrong subject. I use the buttons on the front.
- Pressing 'Disp' while in the menu gives u a description of what each item does
- Pressing Select/Ok on a disabled menu item sometimes tells you WHY its disabled. Very useful.
- Remember u can set what the toggle switch on the front does. But u can only set it in the menu.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I agree. The G9 has more buttons than a shirt factory, use them to your advantage. One “must” is to set at least one of the front buttons to “AF-near.” You can set the other to AF-far, but I’ve found that when the G9 misses, just pressing the “AF-near” button makes it reevaluate and you get something else. It’s a fun camera for sure. The 2.0 firmware gives it a lot of extra value.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just wish that Panasonic would update the G90 firmware as well to add some of those G9 features.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To this point, I’m not bowled over by the famous G9 viewfinder. I had a devil of a time maneuvering the diopter wheel, but I think I’ve gotten it set now. I can see through the viewfinder just fine, but I can on the Olympus too. Rapid movement of the G9 viewfinder in less than bright light gives me a lot of . . . is that what they call shearing? I mean a serious blurring with movement. I have the VF frame rate turned up all the way, which makes a difference, but I’m left wondering if I’m missing something. On the other hand, I can wear my sunglasses with this one.
I thought I was the only one who was not that impressed with the viewfinder. I find the Oly ones much easier to use/adjust without my glasses on. Possibly different if you do not have to wear glasses.
The day I did the Panasonic bird walk I got used to the shutter release, I also find the current EM1.3 shutter release fairly light. I suppose this also gives less camera shake when taking photos?

I intend to get a G9 at some stage. Hopefully they will discount them further with the GH6 comes out as I gather [hope] there may be different versions for stills and video applications and not have two camera models.
I like to keep my foot in both Oly and Panasonic camps.

Last edited:

Vorchek

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
- Assign buttons for AF-Near (with the latest patch) and/or AF-Far so you can quickly unstick AF if it gets stuck on the wrong subject. I use the buttons on the front.
- Pressing 'Disp' while in the menu gives u a description of what each item does
- Pressing Select/Ok on a disabled menu item sometimes tells you WHY its disabled. Very useful.
That is all good advice. These are particularly useful to me right now.

Vorchek

Mu-43 Regular
In the last week, as I've gotten more ambitious (mostly involving animal shots), I've had more trouble with auto-focusing. I want to read up on new factors like the near/far settings, but I'm not aware of any official source. Has any kind of manual (including third party) been updated since firmware 2.0? I've looked up recommendations on the Internet, both in essay and Youtube form, but what I've found hasn't done me much good.

Rapid movement of the G9 viewfinder in less than bright light gives me a lot of . . . is that what they call shearing
I’m assuming you are seeing this when set in ‘M’ mode. This is due to low shutter speed and ‘constant preview’.

There are thousands of ways to ‘best’ configure the G9 and the best result will be highly personal. As an FYI, here are my current settings.

Attachments

Vorchek

Mu-43 Regular
I’m assuming you are seeing this when set in ‘M’ mode. This is due to low shutter speed and ‘constant preview’.
There are thousands of ways to ‘best’ configure the G9 and the best result will be highly personal. As an FYI, here are my current settings.
Actually I was testing in P mode with constant preview off. However, your reference to low shutter speed was the key. I opened up a Voigtlander all the way, and the effect completely disappeared.
That set-up chart is fantastic! I'm going to fool around with that. At the moment my main goal is the simplest way to control auto-focus, such as quickly switching between near and far. That tripped me up a few times.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Actually I was testing in P mode with constant preview off. However, your reference to low shutter speed was the key. I opened up a Voigtlander all the way, and the effect completely disappeared.
That set-up chart is fantastic! I'm going to fool around with that. At the moment my main goal is the simplest way to control auto-focus, such as quickly switching between near and far. That tripped me up a few times.
Remember , Near / Far isn't a mode. The manual isn't very clear on this. Here's a post I did about it awhile back:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olymp...yone-else-make-the-switch.106886/post-1346770

Vorchek

Mu-43 Regular
Remember , Near / Far isn't a mode. The manual isn't very clear on this.
Again, very useful information. I've provisionally set the near/far settings on Fn 4 and 5. Based on simple experiments (like hand vs. far wall) I can testify that it works. Now I look forward to trying some more bird in the bush shots.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
F4 and 5 are the right buttons for me. The camera is so ergonomically laid out they're in the right spot for my middle and ring fingers without changing my grip. I can used F4, F5, and the joystick with no adjustments to my hand. As CyVan said, near/far is not a mode. Think of it as another focus button like half-press on the shutter. Once you've pushed the one you want, take the shot. Next photo it starts over. If you poke around in these threads you'll find several examples. We had a thread going when the firmware update came out, tons of info in there for the new features. Do a search in this forum for G9 and you'll need 3 days to read them all.

And don't forget the animal tracking feature that was included in the upgrade. It works very well. It is activated by touchscreen and is in the face recognition focus choice. You'll see a little bird icon next to the person icon. The control is backwards to most of us, what you think is on is really off and vice versa, but messing with it and near/far is going to get you a lot of nice images.

You'll get used to the shutter button. At first it was touchy to me, now it feels normal. About the only time I have to remind myself is when I pick it up after using the GX9 for several days, but even then only takes one time and muscle memory kicks in.

Vorchek

Mu-43 Regular
F4 and 5 are the right buttons for me.
Such is my conclusion as well, after a proper test. This morning I visited a heavily forested area where I spied various birds and rabbits. This near/far business really works! Distant bird, close branches, keep focusing on the branches--press Fn5--now bird in focus. I'm impressed. I got satisfactory results almost every time.

In my initial report opening this thread I did oversell the G9 on one point. I mentioned locking focus on a distant hummingbird. You know, there was a patch of tree in one corner, and I think that drew the focus, the tiny bird being incidental. The hummingbird being in the center of the shot fooled me. Several similar shots since have failed, giving that weird blurry pulsing without firing the shutter. However, here is a partial recovery, again showing the power of near/far. A dove flew high overhead--I tried to snap a pic--no go--pop the far button--lock, snap, perfect image. I can live with that!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I mentioned locking focus on a distant hummingbird. You know, there was a patch of tree in one corner, and I think that drew the focus, the tiny bird being incidental. The hummingbird being in the center of the shot fooled me.
Two questions: Are you using a single focus point or multiple? And are you using animal recognition/tracking? If you're using a center focus point the camera won't home in on a tree in a corner.

I can't recall what the animal tracking does with a focus point. It seems there were multiple points the few times I've used it, but I don't know if you can choose a single point when it's turned on. In any event, either of those choices would eliminate the problem you experienced with the hummingbird.

Vorchek

Mu-43 Regular
Two questions: Are you using a single focus point or multiple? And are you using animal recognition/tracking? If you're using a center focus point the camera won't home in on a tree in a corner.

I can't recall what the animal tracking does with a focus point. It seems there were multiple points the few times I've used it, but I don't know if you can choose a single point when it's turned on. In any event, either of those choices would eliminate the problem you experienced with the hummingbird.
That was my initial real world test of the camera. At the time it was set on the 225 points, so I guess it would lock onto anything it could find. Since then I've narrowed the focus to a custom group in the center. I do have, pretty sure, the animal tracking on by default; that little man symbol appears at the top of the viewfinder. A slight puzzle in my current state of knowledge: not certain I've seen the box that is supposed to appear around an animal. Did I miss a step? Regardless, I was still struggling with birds flying against clear sky until I tried the far button.

Come to think of it: the advanced manual containing the firmware 2.0 info shows a symbol of a man and a bird. I am only seeing the man. However, when I check "AF Mode" it lists "Face/Eye/Body Detection" with a separate reference down and to the right, "Animal detect ON." What does all this signify? I definitely have 2.0.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom