1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My New Em-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by penndragonn, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penndragonn

penndragonn New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2016
    Ron
    First Post is a bust...

...no longer pertinent

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Please post some example images, and a text copy or screenshot of the exif info.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It's a crappy manual and very non-intuitive. You'll understand the manual after you've figured out all the settings on your own.
    Under gear C, set Image Stabilizer > Still Picture to 'S-IS Auto'. Where it says 'Focal Length', set it to the longest non-electronically connected focal length you will use.
    There is a huge amount to be done in the menus. Some of the settings are counter intuitive ('On' sometimes means 'disabled' etc.). I was able to plough my way through by matching to my E-M10 where I could, plus setting up with the help of Darrell Young's book "Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M1".

• Like Like x 1
  4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Mu is a Greek letter, also written as a funny looking lowercase u.
    It is often used as an abbreviation for 'micro'.

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Make sure your EM1 has latest firmware..

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yes, it reads attached lens.
    menu D -> Live View Boost - set it to Off for "Others"
    menu J -> EVF Adjust -> EVF Auto Luminance - set to Off

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    because menu J -> S-OVF is set On. Set it to Off and Live View Boost settings will be enabled.
    .. yeah, I know, I love Olympus menus too..

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    In menu C? Use joystick right arrow ">"
    easier to do through SuperControl panel - you should enable it.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    are you using electronic shutter? it's max 1/8s, so if your light require longer exposure, then picture will be darker then on LCD/EVF

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    also, in Manual mode, exposure compensation is not reflected on LCD/EVF

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    What mode are you using? Aperture?
    Because it sounds like you are coming from Manual mode..
    If you change aperture in Aperture mode, then camera will automatically adjust shutter to same exposure and resulting image will look the same.
    Same goes for ISO and shutter in S mode.
    It's only exposure compensation, that will be reflected on LCD/EVF immediately.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I don't use Sony cameras, but behavior I described is standard for any camera system. I really don't understand how and why you would see something on LCD screen if you change ISO in A or S mode - camera will change shutter or aperture to compensate the resulting exposure and give you same looking picture, besides different noise level for higher ISO..
    It's absolutely possible to set any m43 camera to show image what you get, it's just not easy for first timers and it's hard to help over internet.

13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It's definitely doable. Both of my E-M1's and my GH4 behave that way, reflecting exposure changes in the EVF and on the LCD.

My recommendation would be to sit down with cameras and the PDF manual on your computer, and start going through to set the camera up the way you want. You're not going to get what you want by sitting on this forum all day asking about every single issue. Spend some time with the camera and manual, get to know where things are, reference the manual, and go from there.

Also, did you seriously buy all of that gear without ever renting the camera to see how you liked the system? That seems like a leap of faith to me if that's the case.

• Like Like x 1
  14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Well, here is exposure triangle: ISO, shutter, aperture.
    It's only in Manual mode when you control all three together. In A or S mode, you explicitly control aperture or shutter, ISO is either fixed or Auto and camera controls the third parameter to give you balanced exposure.
    So, ideally, in A or S mode, changing ISO shouldn't change total exposure and shouldn't be reflected in LCD/EVF.
    In manual mode, changing any of parameters will change exposure and will be reflected on LCD/EVF.

15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Someone said it already, but it really sounds like you have S-OVF on. Turn it off.

16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    with settings that I posted - yes.
    again, menu J -> S-OVF. Set it to Off and Live View Boost settings will be enabled.

17. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Have you addressed Custom/D/Live View Boost/Manual Shooting? Should be set to Off.

Edited to correct from Others to Manual Shooting

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Run EM5 II and EM1 menus side by side and compare. They are pretty much the same in many areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.