My new E-PL1 w/ starter glass collection and a few sample shots

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by theoberheim, Jan 10, 2013.

1. theoberheim

theoberheim Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Portland, Ore.
    Hello, my wife bought an Olympus E-PL1 as a gift for me for my birthday. She has always liked my photography, however, said that I needed to upgrade from my beat up and duct taped Nikon Coolpix L22 - so she bought me this. I have been enjoying the heck out of it for the last few months and I have managed to pick up some additional introductory glass as well. Just recently stumpled upon this forum so I thought I'd share.

I think this is a great little camera!

The collection:
    DSCN0026.JPG

Some favourite photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Nothing wrong with those pics. Nice setup! How's the Samyang lens?

3. theoberheim

theoberheim Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Portland, Ore.
    I just got the Samyang lenses day before yesterday, both the 7.5 and the 500/1000. I took the 7.5 fish eye to a magazine launch party here in Portland Oregon. I thought it did very well. Quite a bit of barreling though, but that is par for the course with a fish eye. There are programs that can tweek and fix it a bit (or, if you are like me, I prefere to leave it as is). In the end, it is a fun lens and I had a blast with it.

If you are refering to the 500/1000 - I have had very little time to test it out. It has been raining quite a bit, and the lighting conditions are very poooooor at this time - given that I work all day, and by the time I get home, it is dark. That being said, I managed to hook it up and pop a few test shots at the neighbors house accross the street. (Not trying to be a creepy creep or anything, but that was the only subject I could manage to find given the short amount if time I had to play with it (20 minutes).

So far, I have found the following: Good build quality with a metal casing. It is fixed at f6.3 (which, in my opinion is better than the f8 version). At 500mm I was able to read the small lettering on his garbage can! With its manual focus I could dial in the focus with ease. It has avery shallow depth of field. (Which is to be expected from a lens like this.) At $149 at Amazon - it is a very good peice of glass and it will be quite a bit of fun to play with. However, do not expect it to take the place of any other heigh end telephoto! I will post some photos as soon as I get the chance to take it out for a proper spin.

I bought this lens primarily for my anual fire lookout trips in the summer. I cannot wait to use it then to shoot some shots of the valley floor and shots of the moon and such.

[​IMG]
    - Taken with my E-PL1 with 14-42 kit lens.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Fire lookout trips?
    That sounds like something interesting ... or boring. You decide!

I like your collection of introductory glass.

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Great photos you've taken. I'm really interested to see test shots with the 500mm Samyang. It seems to be H.U.G.E but I guess for that price it would be a fun toy.

6. theoberheim

theoberheim Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Portland, Ore.

I am sure fire lookouts may not be everyone's cup of tea; however, my wife and I find them interesting enough to visit one every summer. This year will be our tenth year doing it. It is a combination of the view, the food - if you know how to pack a few decent meals, and finding something fun to do (especially if you are with the right company).

7. theoberheim

theoberheim Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Portland, Ore.
    Yeah, it is a bit l.a.r.g.e. :redface: for my little e-pl1 but it is manageable. I see that some people laud the :43: cameras for their high quality to portability ratio. Others seem to deride them as wannabe SLR's or something like that. I have read a post on another forum somewhere where a DSLR guy trashed talked :43: because - in his words:
    My response is: yes, a telephoto (like the samyang) can be heavy and make the camera rather cumbersom... but I am the user, and I certainly do not mind! With its stubby mirrored design and construction, I find it workable. I mean, I would not want to walk around all day with it hanging on my neck, but then again, I will most likely use this with my tri-pod anyway.

All that aside, make no mistake, it is not going to substute or replace a Canon EF 1200mm or the like. It is, however, an affordable 500/1000mm with decent build quality that is manageble on my E-PL1. With a little diligance, patience, and and eye for a good composition, it can make a decent photograph. Most importantly, I can have fun with it!

I know that there are a few test shots with this lens posted on this forum somewhere... however, I will take and post some test shots here when I get the chance (probably this weekend). In the mean time, here is how it looks as it is mounted on the camera:

DSCN0032.JPG

DSCN0034.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    great set you have there. that Samyang lens is definitely HUGE! how heavy was it? it seems that you have the camera with that lens mounted on the tripod on the camera base. wouldn't that break the mount on the camera???

9. theoberheim

theoberheim Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Portland, Ore.
    Thanks. Yes, it is big and yes, the camera is mounted on the tri pod with the camera base. There is no mount on the lens; however, it seems to hold up just fine. That being said, I would not go swinging the camera around by the strap with it.... but then again, would one do that with any large telephoto?

If you think this looks scary, you should see how it looks with the 2x multiplier for the 1000mm setup.

10. theoberheim

theoberheim Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Portland, Ore.
    Okay, for those wondering about the Samyang - I posted a review with some test shots here.

11. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Nice set of "introductory" lenses. :biggrin:

Great set of photos!

Your wife is a keeper by the way. :2thumbs: