My name is __, and I'm addicted to 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by thenextpage, Jun 27, 2015.

1. thenextpage

thenextpage Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2014
    I'm a hobbyist that admires photography.
    I love m4/3, started with the system in December 2013 and my fascination has grown ever since. My first body was the E-M5 with the 12-50 kit lens. Fast forward to now, and whoa! I've put way more money into this than I ever intended. My collection as of now (shared between my wife and I):
    • E-M1 body
    • E-M5 body
    • E-M5 mkll body
    • 12-40 2.8 Oly
    • 12-50 kit Oly
    • 40-150 2.8 Oly
    • 25mm 1.4 Pan
    • 45mm 1.8 Oly
    • 60mm 2.8 macro Oly
    • 75mm 1.8 Oly
    • Nissan i40 hotshoe flash
    • large collection of various B+W filters
    • a wide variety of misc accessories

This is funny to me because when we first bought the E-M5, it's intended use was to take a few shots here and there during special moments. Neither my wife nor I are or have ever been photographers. She hasn't picked up a camera in over 2 months. It's been about a month for me. So how do we have all this stuff?! I don't shoot all that often, but I continue buying all this stuff, somewhere deep down I feel as though I need it. I may have a problem.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great kit!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the answer is of course, some level of GAS.

Most of the kit actually makes perfect sense. You got a body + pro zoom kit, another body + fast prime kit, plus a macro and a TTL flash. Conceptually I have a similar kit (with slow zooms and a compact second body instead).

Do you really still need the E-M5 and 12-50 though, now that you have two other bodies plus the 12-40?
  4. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    I have some overlapping lenses now too, just as a result of upgrading. I haven't tried very hard to sell the ones I don't use anymore, but I know I should.
  5. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Please start exploring the world, travel, showing up at events or gatherings, parties and whatnot - and USE that equipment! :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'd ridicule you if my own kit wasn't so similar. :shakehead: I go through buying and selling binges. The good news is I do enjoy using my stuff. I just have to resist impulse buying, especially "good deals".
  8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    It's a common occurrence among a lot of photographers who are starting out. They go for a camera and a kit and then GAS takes over and within a year built up a complete pro kit. Don't feel bad. Just keep using it. If you run out of ideas shooting, join a photo meetup group in your area and that will encourage you to learn how to shoot with your fantastic gear and possibly attend some classes using Photoshop effectively like layers and light painting with your flash. Also learn how to use those filters.
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Only problem with that kit... There's not enough Panasonic in it! ;)

It's true that you have the kit of a "serious" photographer, whatever that means, so I'd assume that you seriously like to photograph. You say it's been awhile for both of you, maybe just take on some small projects. Keep that gear from getting rusty.