My, my how our little hobby has grown

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by meyerweb, Dec 19, 2011.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I happened upon an old issue of Popular Photography today, from May 2000. Just 11 short years ago. The vast majority of the content in the issue deals with film cameras, although there is an article on "digital printers." And there's a double page ad for digital cameras from (IIRC, cameraworld got bought out by Ritz and became The ad is pretty interesting.

And the rear cover is even more so. It's an ad for a Panasonic PalmCam (there, it's almost on topic!). 1.3 MP CCD (1280x960), 2.5" color LCD monitor, and it records "up to 1500 images" on one 3.5" "Superdisk", which stores as much as 85 floppy disks!

Back to the Cameraworld ad:

There's a Canon PowerShot S10, 2.1 MP (!!!), 2x zoom lens and an optical viewfinder (no mention of an LCD, but I imagine it has one) for $699!

And a Minolta Dimage EX with 1.5 MP, Auto Exposure, Auto Focus and Auto WB for $479. More interesting is a Minolta Dimage RD-300 with "Hybrid Seamless Imaging System (Dual CCD) [delivering] ultra-high resolution 2.7 MP (1981x1360)." Only $269 with a 22-80mm f4 - 5.6 lens.

Best of all, though, is the Nikon D1 DSLR: 2.74 MP, 2" LCD monitor, only $4995.

To paraphrase the old cigarette commercials: We've come a long way baby.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Megapixels seemed to be doubling every year until we hit the magic 10MP mark. :)
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Ha! The good ol days sucked. ;)
  4. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I still have my first digital camera, a Sony Cybershot which model totally disappeared from the body, but hey, it's a 3.2 megapixels and it was the hot ticket on Xmas 2001. But the most amazing part it's that still works!!
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Back then I didn't really feel that digital was worth it. I preferred to scan film for better quality. However, now the tables have turned and there is no more benefit in film anymore.
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I remember getting a Ricoh GRDI as my first 'serious' P&S - amazing 8mp :eek:
  7. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    what do you mean? Ken R0ckwell says that film is equivalent to 25MP! and it's "full frame". :p

I don't shoot film for the "resolution benefits", I prefer it is a medium to work with. just like an artist chooses his medium (paint/watercolour/sculpture etc)
    I also like not having to work at a computer outside work hours, or stare into an lcd vf to take photos :)
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Personally, I prefer the look of film over digital :smile:
    Disclaimer: I'm NOT saying film is better, just different :smile:

Also, much less arguments in film forums compared to digital :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
  9. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    My first digital camera (apart from a VGA "toy") was the Lumix DMC-F7 in 2001/2002:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F7: Digital Photography Review

1.9 megapixels | 1.5" screen | 35 – 70 mm (2×)

I still have it, and it still works flawlessly.

I need to take some photos with it!