My Micro 4/3 Journey

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ragtop, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I have had a Micro 4/3 camera now for a little over 3 months. I wanted to sort of reflect on my journey so far and share what I've bought and sold and also what I have kept with some of the reasons why. Maybe it will be helpful to some or just entertaining to others as they've been down the same road I have. In camera body's, I've had the Olympus E-P1, Olympus Black E-P2, Olympus E-PL1, Panasonic GF1 and my current camera, the Olympus Silver E-P2.

Now, on to lenses. Wow, have I bought and sold lots and lots of lens in the 3 months since I've had my Micro 4/3 camera body's. I started with the 14-42 kit, the metal mount one, then sold that with the E-P1 body and when I purchased the E-PL1, it had the newer 14-42 Oly lens with plastic mount. I actually thought it was a better lens, not build wise, but sharpness and contrast/color I thought was just better than the lens that came with the Olympus E-P1. I kept that lens through some of my other purchases. Then, I went through a manual focus lens fiasco, buying 4 Voigtlander manual focus lenses. I really thought these lenses were well made and very nice. They also looked nice and fit the retro styling of the Olympus Pen series, but manual focusing just isn't for me. It's to cumbersome for my tastes on these body's and until a built in viewfinder comes along with a tweaked firmware that will automatically go into zoom mode and back out for framing purposes, this just isn't ready for prime time in my opinion. The Olympus E-PL1 was close to getting this right, but still needs a few tweaks to make manual focus a viable solution. I also bought a Canon 50mm/1.4 with adapter and it was one of the best DOF and sharpness that I had. But, as I said above, manual focusing on these body's just wasn't for me and now I don't have any of these lenses left.

So, after lots of buying and selling, here is what I've settled on. I just love the Olympus E-P2, in Silver. It's a wonderfully crafted body and has the right feature set for me. Great OOC jpg's and awesome build quality. It has the optional Viewfinder available and also optional external mic kit if you shoot video's. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's got the right combination of the currently available Micor 4/3 body's, in my opinion. I tried the GF1 as well, but it just didn't feel right in my hand. Not as comfortable to hold and shoot with as my E-P2 and, in my opinion, requires shooting in RAW to get the same quality of jpg's as the E-P2 gets straight out of the camera. GF1 does have a nicer LCD though and maybe a bit better interface. I sold the GF1 body and kept the Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens. I just love this lens. So, after selling all of my other lens except the Panasonic 14-45mm, I then purchased a Panasonic 20mm/1.7 and that is my kit right now. I am very happy with my choices and the focusing speed on the Panasonic 14-45mm is very good, much better than the Olympus 14-42mm I think. The Panasonic 20mm/1.7 is a must have. This lens should be in all Micro 4/3rd users bags. Sharp, contrasty, vivid, well saturated colors and very small and lightweight. By far stays on my camera more than the other lens, probably about 85% of the time. It's a wonderful combination.

So, there you have it. My journey so far and what I've finally decided on.

Jim

• Like Like x 6
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Jim, the mZD 9-18 and mZD 14-150 are worthy additions (maybe even replacements for your 14-45 (which I also have for my G1, but prefered the collapsing & closer focusing mZD 14-42))

I'm eagerly awaiting the mZD 50mm f2 for fast CDAF focusing portrait lens.

Cheers

Brian

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    five camera bodies in 12 weeks!!!... I shake my head in wonder - truly at a lost for words

K

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Well, at least he's selling the ones he doesn't want :wink:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Jim, you are clearly quite salesman! I'm glad you have found your comfort zone, so far, but you haven't tried the new Oly 9-18mm yet have you?:wink:

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    yeah... and what did the losses add up to. Really don't understand why people do this... what is it they are trying to find... he essentially bought the same camera specwise 4 times

Seems like he used to be indecisive but now he's not sure !

ah well - each to their own

Just remember its people who take pictures not camera

K

7. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Ah, but the hunt is half the fun.

Jim

8. BBW

I think Jim that you have now shown your hand!:wink: I have another friend that sounds a bit like you - he's a trader (commodities) but now he has a "hobby" in real estate. He loves the rush.

9. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    KevinParis, actually I haven't lost anything monetarily. I bought through specials and broke the kits up and sold separately. I actually calculated what I currently have in my E-P2 body, through buying and selling, and I have just over $400.00 in that new body. Not bad. So all in all, I've at least broke even on my trades and made some on others.

But, at any rate, I've had fun and for the time being, I'm settled. However, all bets are off when the GF2 or E-P3 are announced.

Jim

• Like Like x 4
  10. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Agreed about the Panasonic 20/1.7 -- fantastic lens.

11. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    BBW, I'm an IT Professional, so new gadgets and toys are what gets my blood pumping. Photography is a great hobby for me and I love trying out new equipment and I do buy a lot of new equipment. It's just one of those things I enjoy.

Some people are happy forever with the same camera body, lens, etc. and that is fine, but I get bored easily and need something new to renew my interest. It's a vice I'll have to live with I guess. :)

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  12. BBW

Always good to recognize one's "vices".:daz:

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Jim, I can identify with that mindset - and sort of expected you to say that you hadn't lost much in the transactions (you're obviously well practiced! :rofl:)... eventually, I hope you will settle down and enjoy the art of photography too - you're in good company for that here :smile:

I hope you will take a look at our PAD project and our new Expressive Travel Photography forum, as well as Don's Image Quest... plenty to keep you occupied here :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

14. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Brian, thanks for the advice. As far as settling down and enjoying the art of photography, well, I don't think one needs to have the same camera all the time to enjoy the art of photography. Trust me, I really enjoy photography and have enjoyed it for many years, I just take the photographs with different camera about every few months. :rofl:

Jim

15. Janis

Janis Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Central Texas
    As the Online Photographer blog once pointed out, cameras and photography are two separate hobbies, or can be.

• Like Like x 2