My MCON P01 test (on 40-150 lens)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Spuff, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The Mcon is very light. Its weight is barely tangible. That, it being short and very easy to attach to the lens, and the ability to still auto focus are advantages compared to an extension tube.
    The lens I have I can use it with is the m.Zuiko 40-150.
    I haven't tried anything other that the full 150 when using it.
    The distance from subject you can focus in is very narrow. So you are going to to have to be about .5 of a metre away.

To get to the conclusion first:
    The kit lens is equal, if not superior than the 150 + Mcon on a static subject.
    If your subject is likely to fly away if you get close, then the kit lens is no go and the 150 + Mcon will probably allow you to not disturb an insect.

EPL1.
    All images taken at f/6.3 at ISO 200 with camera on a gorrilapod.
    Daylight through window.
    m.zuiko 14-42 Mark 1 at 42 in its natural state.

I've adjusted clarity in Lightroom to get the best result I could for each image. The colour difference in the coin is how it came out, I didn't adjust the colour. There's purple issues with the coin Mcon+150 - the box should be blue. I took the images at the same time of day and light conditions so I'm not sure why one has more shadow.

150+Mcon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14-42:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(a 20p is 21.4mm across)
    150+Mcon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14-42:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it seems to me that the only reason to use the MCON P01 with the 40-150 lens is if you can't get as very close to the subject as you need to for the best close up result with the kit lens.

• Like Like x 7
  2. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I received my adapter today (ordered via J&R because it was in stock) and did a very quick casual test. I wanted the MCON as a small, light semi-macro for casual use with the 14-42mm. The MCON-P01 is about the same height as the 17mm f2.8 but about 3/8" larger diameter (9.5mm). It mount on the front via the hood bayonet mount. It will be easy to toss in my bag and won't add much weight or bulk.

Since I will likely to use this at 42mm, I took a couple of quick and dirty comparison shots. Both were handheld jpegs, 1/80 @ 5.6, ISO 800, and the light was a desk lamp above and forward of subject. I sent my E-PL2 to Macro scene with no manual adjustments. I used the center focus area and was focusing on the "O" in Tamron. I moved in until the AF would not focus and them backed off a just enough to get focus confirmation. I had the lens on 42mm as this is where I would most likely use it. For reference, "Tamron" is about 1 7/32 (31mm) across and the cap is a62mm lens cap.

I would say the results are acceptable. While the magnification isn't huge, it is certainly better than the kit lens provides and I don't see significant CA or distortion. If I was going out with a large bag or with macro in mind, I have other options I would choose.

The original files are in my gallery (link in sig) in the "Temp" album and can be downloaded.

Attached Files:

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I re-tried the MCON today, and this time the box's blue was faithfully captured. So I don't know why there was abberation before.
    I can also report the MCON was better than a cheapo close up adaptor I tried on the m.Zuiko 40-150.

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Out and about comparison:
    m.Zuiko 40-150

First visit without MCON:
    5707947908_587d15ed11_b.

Second visit with MCON (was a bit rushed so focus not ideal):
    5707948740_52e6c2455b_b.
    (yes I know the first photo is better, but it would probably be more better with the MCON)

• Like Like x 3
  5. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    That first picture is with JUST the 40-150? =O
    Amazing shot!

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Thanks.
    Yes, just the naked 40-150. I suppose the softness kind of does work for it.
    It was in the insect building at London zoo.

7. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I bought the 40-150 a while ago have yet to take a picture of it. Was debating whether I should keep it or not since I really won't need a zoom lens often, but that picture is making me second guess that!

8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Great pictures! It's hard to believe that grasshopper was sans macro. I hope this isn't off topic, but can you use the MCON with a filter attached? If you use all three (lens, filter, and converter), in what order do they go?

9. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    the one with MCON was shot at 150mm?

10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just bought one for use on my M.Zuiko 40-150 that hasn't been out of the bag in a very long time. I was surprised how good some of the images turned out:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=46955&page=9

[​IMG]
    E-PL2 with M.Zuiko 40-150 and MCON at 150mm, f/8, 1/180 sec, ISO 200

• Like Like x 2
  11. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    more results from anyone else?

im interested to see how it combines specifically with the 40-150 like above to do some semi-macro work or simply to focus closer at max tele

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Be aware that the MCON-P01 is only a single element converter, you'll likely get better results with the updated MCON-P02 which is a two element achromat. The dioptre rating of the P02 is higher as well, so you'll get more magnification out of it.

Why not try and find a good second hand multi element achromat at a bargain price? Quite often people got them for their bridge cameras and didn't realise they could keep using them once they upgraded to an ILC. I got my 58mm +1.6 and +3.3s this way and they work well with the 40-150. As they are designed for 58mm thread there are no vignetting problems either, I can vary the magnification by using any base focal length from 40mm to 150mm.